Thank you, KP!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Emma Flournoy
    @emma-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 1352

@Kate-Flournoy *weak laugh* Sure. Anytime.

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

@emma-flournoy It’s no big deal, but I just wanted someone with a different perspective to read what I have of my WIP–and by different perspective, I mean someone who’ll read the story for what it is, focus on plot and characters instead of grammar and structure.

I’d ask my family, but they don’t take my writing seriously.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Emma Flournoy
        @emma-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl Daahhh, I thought it’d be that. *groan* And so I’ve been anticipating disappointing you for the last ten minutes. I’m so sorry! I’d love to help out, but in all honesty I am so bogged down with stuff to do I really couldn’t fit it in right now. I’m already beta-reading two other KeePer’s books—not counting Kate’s, which is a regular appointment 😉 —and have tons of other things in life I’m needing to be doing. I’ve hardly even been on KP lately ’cause I just haven’t had time.
          Um…I really wish there was something else to say, but I can only say I’m terribly sorry, and I would if I had time. 🙁 🙁 🙁 Forgive me?
          (Also, I would focus on plot and characters, but just so you know, I’m almost a grammar Nazi and I’d probably end up pointing that stuff out too. But it wouldn’t be to the exclusion of the more important—and more interesting—things. 😉 )

Also, I wanna say— do give your family a shot. Because, if you could just get one of them to try, they might change their mind after reading some. Don’t just dismiss ’em ’cause they think it’s silly now; if you really really wanted to build a relationship and get some advice as well, you should seriously try. Try, with their best in mind; with the goal of making a better relationship, not just getting feedback. ‘Cause that would happen if you were into it for that as well, not just your writing…it’s a two-way thing. They’d benefit too. And…ummm, yeah.

Even if you could get your family to do it for you though, I know you still need outside perspectives. So I’m not tryin’ ta say, your family is all you need. It isn’t. 😛 Non-family member perspectives are good too, even when you do have your family helping.

Anyway, I’m sorry. We still friends?

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 Hey Elizabeth, that okay?

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99

Yeah, it’s fine, Emma.

And honestly…I have tried. My family takes my ambitions seriously. They respect the fact that I want to have a career as a writer. They’re supportive that way, but when it comes to everything else…my writing doesn’t get the time of day. It’s frustrating.

Maybe you should start a waiting list for your beta-reading @emma-flournoy. *grins*

Emma Flournoy
                @emma-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 Thanks for your understanding. 😛 *hug*

Hm. Well…hm.

Ha! Interesting. *taps finger on chin* Interesting. I do love beta-reading, it’s just…there’s only so much time. My mom has seriously suggested I hire myself out for it. 😛 Which does sort of interest me…I just…haven’t done anything about it.
                  I was flattered that you’d ask me, at any rate. 😀

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                  Elizabeth
                  @that_writer_girl_99

Well, on a website full of writers, you’re a rare treasure. A regular reader, someone who will judge the story for what it is and report and plot-holes back to us. I think that’s cool, which is why I asked ya.

But I’m happy to take a backseat until you’re free. @emma-flournoy *winks* I’ll wait.

Emma Flournoy
                    @emma-flournoy

Aww…thanks. 🙂 I wouldn’t say I’m quite a regular reader, ’cause I know a ton about writing even though I don’t do it; more than the average reader does, so I judge things kind of from that perspective too…but, still.

When I’m free…ahh. Somewhere a thousand years from now. XD Well, I will indeed take you up at some point; when I have a big enough space I’ll tell you. I couldn’t say how soon that’ll be though. Thanks, Elizabeth. 😀

@That_Writer_Girl_99

Elizabeth
                      @that_writer_girl_99

😉

Northerner
                        @northerner
                          • Total Posts: 244

Hey, @that_writer_girl_99, my family’s kind of the same way, though not entirely. It’s a bit mixed. For example, my sister’s really patient about listening to me ramble on about my stories, and she often comes up with good ideas, but at the same time she’ll tell me I won’t get published. And my mother’s kind of proud of me getting a “useless” degree (in the sense that it won’t get me a job) in Creative Writing, but at the same time she’s not interested in reading my stuff. My dad’s just wrestled his way through a Ph.D., so he certainly knows the hard work and committment of writing, but by the same token he’s been busy enough with his own projects not to have time for me to dump, say, Wind Age, on him. So I get what you mean by “they take seriously your ambition to have a career as a writer, but don’t take seriously the actual writing”. I don’t, honestly, know an answer to this yet. It may be you have to prove yourself by polishing up your best work and giving it to them. Or it may be something entirely different. Probably a good thing to have a thread about.

Elizabeth
                          @that_writer_girl_99

@northerner Thanks for sharing 🙂

Honestly, it’s more discouraging than anything else. I try to be good about listening to things my family is interested in. I listen to my brother talk about baseball. I listen to my mother talk about her views on certain things. I listen to my sister talk about her friends. I listen to my dad talk about his work. But when it comes to me talking about what I’m interested in…no one cares. I get that they have their own lives, but still…

Hm. A thread…like, a support group for writers who kind of…”write from a closet”, so to speak? Or just an encouragement kinda thing?

Northerner
                            @northerner

@That_Writer_Girl_99, it could be a thread like that, or one asking people who’ve had families like this what they recommend as a way of getting past that barrier. I think any one of the three could be helpful. We probably aren’t the only ones whose families are the last to read our work.

Elizabeth
                              @that_writer_girl_99

Yeah. And maybe we could collectively offer to read everyone’s work as a support type thing? @northerner

Northerner
                                @northerner

@That_Writer_Girl_99 I think we’ve already got that going pretty well :).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >