Taking Breaks from Unfinished Books

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Taking Breaks from Unfinished Books

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Ethryndal
    @ethryndal
      • Total Posts: 1013

Heeey… I need advice…

I’ve been considering putting my current book on hold temporarily/possibly forever and writing something different, the reason behind this being that I’ve just hit several plot holes and character issues that will require an excessive amount of brain power to overcome. This has been a troubled book, as I’ve had to rewrite it twice due to… well, not knowing what I was doing when I started, and the result was a mess of a plot that needed serious beating to get into shape. Frankly, my brain is so shot at this point that it gives me a headache just thinking about fixing it AGAIN.

Therefor, I think it would be nice to take a break for a while and write something new and refreshing, something that doesn’t require massive amounts of reworking and serious loads of strenuous thinking. Then, at some point in the next few months, come back to my old book and reassess whether I want to give it another go or not.

However, I’m not done with my current draft, so what I want to know is this:

Is it wise to take a break from a book while you’re in the middle of writing it? When I come back, will I feel rejuvenated and ready to try again, or will I have forgotten most of where I was going?

Random thoughts on the subject would be helpful. Thankee kindly.

Imma tag some people. @Kate-Flournoy (You of all people know the agony I’ve had over this thing…) @Audrey-Caylin (You just put your book on hold, am I correct?) @Daeus @Winter-Rose @Brandon-Miller @All-The-Kapeefer-Lovelies

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Mariposa Aristeo
      @mariposa
        • Total Posts: 335

@ethryndal Taking a break is one of the best things a writer can do when they’re stuck. I wrote two whole books which I ended up abandoning because of plot holes, but mainly because I was writing the way I thought I was supposed to write. I didn’t know what to do or where to go with my writing. I started writing a kooky story just for fun, and it became the best book I’d ever written. For the first time in forever, I discovered my voice. Sometimes leaving a story idea is sad, but it can lead to something even better. And even if you decide to go back to your story, taking a break will allow you to get a fresh perspective. That’s why I decided to work on my third book in my trilogy before going back and editing the second book.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@Ethryndal do it. I plead horribly guilty of workaholism, but more and more I’ve come to value re-charging and taking a step back for a change of perspective.
          I strongly do not recommend trashing the story you have, but I understand where you’re coming from. My current WIP (yeah, that one) has been going for three years and it drives me bonkers because I’ve been working on it so long I can’t really see it properly anymore. Seriously. I’m tempted sometimes to give in to exhausted loathing and throw in the towel because everything feels useless.
          I have the testimony of several other readers *cough**cough*youknowwhoyouare*cough* that it isn’t horrible and I shouldn’t give up on it, but that doesn’t help me see it in a better light.
          So yes. Perspective is invaluable, and one of the best ways to get it back is to take a break.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
          Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal Oh yeah. Taking a break from something like that is very good. Not only do you want to prevent yourself from a burnout, but also, it can lead to something even better, like what @mariposa said. I’ve done that multiple times. Planned out a story, begun writing it, then stopped. In fact, I have more than thirty stories in my files that I’ve started but haven’t finished. Probably won’t. But the thing is, that writing for you now, as a teen, should be fun. We aren’t looking for a job yet. So make it be fun.
            And @kate-flournoy and Mariposa said it way better, but I agree with them 100%. They are correct in everything.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Elizabeth
            @that_writer_girl_99
              • Total Posts: 1819

I’m gonna tag @graciegirl in this, just because I know she’s been there, done that.

And also, some encouragement: life happens. So do plot holes. Take a break, get your sanity back–if you can–and don’t be afraid to try something new. @ethryndal

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1330

I would say that taking a break is ok as long as you don’t completely abandon the project. I think that it is really important to like @that_writer_girl_99 said, “get your sanity back”. Work on something else and refresh your mind. Hope that’s helpful. @ethryndal

Audrey Caylin
                @audrey-caylin
                  • Total Posts: 323

@ethryndal Yes! Definitely do it!

You’re correct that I did recently put my WIP on hold. I’d already rewritten it about four times and had just run into another major plot issue. I decided to set it aside and work on a new idea. I feel like I improved as a writer and a person by doing that. It helped me get a new perspective on my work, start fresh with something I’d never worked with before, exercise my creativity more, and in the lull of working on that WIP, I’ve randomly gotten some amazing ideas that will definitely help the plot when I go back to rewrite!

It might be hard to set it down at first, but I suggest you should do it. 🙂

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 859

@ethryndal I think that you totally should just set it aside for a little while. If I were you, I might read it over every once in a while to just remember where you were and what you were doing, and like @audrey-caylin said, maybe you will get some good ideas to fix it while you are taking break!

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal

I was writing the way I thought I was supposed to write.

@Mariposa
                      And that, mellon nin, perfectly sums up my story. You have very good insight. Thank you muchly. 😂

@kate-Flournoy
                      AH, That Book? *nods sagely* (You’ve been writing that for three years? Good grief… But then, I’ve been writing mine for two…) And you know, I honestly don’t think this will end in a trashing. I love my characters—*cough* brats *cough cough*—too much for that. (They hope.) So yeah… maybe I will gain perspective. Wouldn’t THAT be something?

@dragon-snapper
                      But I don’t want it to be fun, I want it to be PEEEEERFECT!!! *wails*

Okay fine, you’re right. Even if you are (in the words of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the III) a Useless Reptile. 😀

@That_writer_girl_99

get your sanity back–if you can

Yeah, don’t think I didn’t notice that. I should probably be offended. *sniffs*

Thanks for the encouragement though. *grins sheepishly* I AM afraid to do something new. Very afraid. 🙂

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal

@Emily The part of my brain that is so done with life is strongly suggesting I abandon everything and go live by the ocean and eat chocolate for the rest of my days. However, the sentimental side of my brain loves this book and totally agrees with you. So yeah, thanks. I hope my sanity is recoverable. 😀

(@Emma-Flournoy, this is a banner day. My sentimental side just overrode my logical side. I didn’t know that was possible.)

@Audrey-Caylin
                        So there IS hope for me after all… Seriously, the more I read what every one’s saying about fresh perspectives and (possibly) retrieving my sanity, the more attractive this idea is sounding. I just want to go write something that I actually have space to grow in, instead of this thing that has all these boundaries I accidentally set up when I didn’t know what I was doing. Thanks for the lovely bit of hope. My spirits are feeling lifted.

@Shannon THAT, my friend, is extremely smart. Gosh. I will definitely do that, and I thankee kindly for suggesting it.

DelightInLife
                        @delightinlife
                          • Total Posts: 124

@ethryndal

I totally agree with what @dragon-snapper said. I can somewhat sympathize with you, because I’ve had a story idea in my head for about two years that I really want to write, but I’m having a really hard time with it. I am quite frustrated and it wasn’t fun anymore.

I started writing a completely different story, and though I haven’t continued it in the last few weeks, it was really fun and refreshing to write something completely different and in a different story world, without the same boundaries\ideas of the other one (or the stress\frustration) 😀

I went from working on a realistic story set in my own kingdom that was about a spy, to writing a story about an imaginative 12 year old boy who finds a dragon that’s an artist in a more lush Asian kingdom. It was great to be able to make up new characters and just create and have fun writing.

Even if you take a short break, I think it would be really great. Yes, there are times to push through in writing, but sometimes when you are frustrated or having a really hard time, writing something new can be refreshing and fun. Just be creative, even if it ends up being really random or short, and have fun. 🙂 Sometimes, I forget when I’m frustrated about my writing that I write because I love it, and taking a break and working on something new might help generate some excitement about writing.

Also, if there is something you want to remember to include\explore later in that book, you could make a few notes and then set the book aside. Anyway, I think it would be a great idea to write something different! Don’t be afraid to try it! 😀

Blessings,
                          DelightInLife

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by DelightInLife.
                          Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy
                            • Total Posts: 1352

KATE’S THING IS NOT TRASH EVER GUYS.

All right, I’ve fulfilled my duty now. NOW NOT EVER, MIND YOU. *stalks out*
                            (*whisper* But it’s actually been only more like two years, two and a little? But it SEEMS like five or something, so yeah. And mebbe the thinking process and all started three years ago. *finishes stalking out*)

@Ethryndal
                            WOW. Banner day indeed. We’ll have to work with this. XD

SO! Looks like you can take a break, eh? Well DO IT! Galadriel (possibly) has to switch focus sometimes too.
                            I feel compelled to point out though just in general that the thing isn’t exactly to have fun, even when you’re still a teenager…cuz we are aiming for like, the glory of God and all which can take purpose and stuff…but yeah. You know that. 😂
                            So what’ll you write in the meantime? *hyperventilates* Hm? Hm???

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 1330

@ethryndal I wish I had enough money to do that. XP Glad to be of service!

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 859

@ethryndal No trouble at all mi lady. Happy to be of assistance to your elvinship.

Gracie
                                @graciegirl
                                  • Total Posts: 889

@That_Writer_Girl_99
                                  meme

@Ethryndal
                                  I think you’ve gotten the point by now: DO IT. 😛

I am actually in the middle of a break right now and, yes, it’s a little terrifying because, whoa, I haven’t taken a break from outlining in like, forever. XD But it is super freeing to start a new idea where you don’t have boundaries like you said. And I also am beginning to just fall in love with my story and characters again because I’ve given them some space. I’m getting back to the point where I actually enjoy hanging out with my fictional buddies which is something I was beginning to lose before I took a break. Sure I love ’em to death but having to argue and just plain interact with them for 2-3 years straight was kinda taking its toll.

So to reiterate (just in case you didn’t catch the first time 😛 ): DO IT.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >