Story Idea Help!!!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Story Idea Help!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 103

Hey, so about half an hour ago, I was scouring the internet, and I found this picture. And suddenly I got this amazing idea… except I don’t know if it’s actually that great…

Basically, there’s a fantasy world, in which a major and very key component is music. There’s the God-figure, who is a master of music, you could say. And there’s the villain who hates music. If you choose to ‘follow’ (I couldn’t find a better word because my brain is lazy) this master of music, He gives you an instrument of His choice. And he teaches you to play it.

The instruments/music would also be used kinda as weapons (or maybe as magic… not sure how either of those would work yet), since the enemy is determined to rid the land of the music.

I don’t know, what do you guys think? Could it work? Would you read a book like this?

Also, what ideas would you have to add to this? Any ideas are welcome. 🙂

@dragon-snapper
      , @rochellaine, @dekreel, @jenwriter17 @seekjustice @sam-kowal @jane-maree @itisastarrynight @notawriter @anyone-else-who-has-an-opinion

Joy
      @dekreel
        • Total Posts: 2304

@radically-surrendered  That’s a fascinating idea!! I think you should try it! It sounds like a world where I’d want to live! I love music. But make sure you find a unique and captivating plot or else it will get a little old. It seems like that to me.

I love this! 😀

You can pronounce it however you want.

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine
          • Total Posts: 3322

@radically-surrendered That is an AMAZING IDEA!!!  I would definitely read a book like that.  I can’t really think of a better word than “follow” either, because that is actually what musicians do when they play in an orchestra: follow the conductor.  Another term used could be “perform”, though.

I don’t like the idea of “magic” because every mention of magic and sorcery in the Bible is that it is evil and those who practice it should be put to death.  But I do like the idea of using the instruments as a type of weapons.

In a spiritual sense, you could have the villain be someone who wants the people to be depressed, or in turmoil, or something like that, but when they hear music, they immediately are calmed.  That would be why he wants to abolish music.  In that way the instruments could be used as weapons, because he could convince people, including his “henchmen” to stop up their ears, or wear protection so they can’t hear the music, but whenever they do hear the music, they are slowly changed to lovers of peace. 🙂

Hope this helps! I really love that idea.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Anonymous

@dekreel Yep! I still need to come up with everything except the idea… What have I gotten myself into? *shakes head in dismay* But I’m glad you like it! 😀

Emerald Flyer
            @emerald-flyer
              • Total Posts: 33

I love that idea! I like the concept of the followers getting their own instrument. Another idea would be that instead of the villain from abolishing music, he could use it in a different way, a more sinister way, or have a different weapon. Anyway, it’s a really fun idea! 😀

Anonymous

@rochellaine I’m so glad you like it! I like the idea that music brings people out of oppression, so maybe I’ll use that! 😀

Anonymous

@emerald-flyer That’s also a really great idea, to use music for both good and evil, since it can be used that way in our world.

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@radically-surrendered Do you play any instruments?

This is what I thought when you said different instruments can be used as different types of weapons:

Harp: A harp ripples and waves, and could be used to draw people closer as a magnet to hear what the Master has to say.  (By the way, you might want to call the Master the Maestro?)

Violin: The violin is a good dueling instrument.  It can be used to win fast-paced arguments because it can go faster and higher than anything else and eventually wear out the opponent.

Cello: The cello has a low, sweet sound, which can sooth people, and make them less antagonistic.

Bass: This instrument is very deep, and you can feel it.  The ear protection will not be able to protect the enemy from this instrument because the rumbles will be felt in their bones in the same way that deaf people “hear” music.

Trumpet: This, obviously, can be used to call the “followers” together to fight.  It’s call is loud and piercing, and can cause excitement and energy to “wake up” the followers so they are willing to fight hard.

If you like these, I might be able to think of some more! 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Anonymous

@rochellaine I actually had the idea as well that different instruments have different effects. And I love your descriptions of them. If you have more ideas, I’d love to hear them.

And yes, I play piano. I also took violin lessons about 7 years ago, and lately I’ve really wanted to learn to play the cello… it just sounds so majestic and moving. The picture that inspired this idea was actually of a man playing the cello in the woods. XD

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@radically-surrendered Wow!  That’s a big idea from just a man playing a cello in the woods.  🙂

Ohhh, I just had a crazy idea.  What if this book inspired a whole new universe with what they call a “cult following”.  You know, with fans who dress up like the characters.  They would take tests to see what kind of instrument they are.  They would learn to play those instruments so they could act out battle scenes….

Oh my goodness!  That sounds like so much fun!!! 🙂 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

WarrenLuther04
                        @warrenluther04
                          • Total Posts: 270

@rochellaine Viola would work too (I know that’s basically the same thing as violin though…)

Piano might work as well… maybe a magic keyboard that can be woven out of light or something. I dunno.

There’s kind of a “cult following” for Star Wars. And definitely for Harry Potter!

@radically-surrendered This is a great idea! I play the piano, and I really l like combining music and writing. I think that it will be a very intriguing storyline!

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
                          ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Anonymous

@rochellaine That… sounds AMAZING!!!! I mean, people taking tests to see what instrument they are… it sounds awesome! And people acting out battles XD Sounds like Lindsey Sterling XD

Anonymous

@warrenluther04 Piano would definitely be hard to incorporate… maybe that could be the Maestro’s instrument…

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@warrenluther04 There are a lot of cult followings, actually.  People who love Star Trek are called Trekkers or Trekkies, there are a lot of people who dress up like superheroes and go to the Comicons.  One of my dad’s friends from college has a group of people who (I don’t know what specifically they’re acting out) dress up in fake battle armor and use cardboard or foam weapons and have battles pretty regularly.  🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

WarrenLuther04
                                @warrenluther04
                                  • Total Posts: 270

@radically-surrendered You like Lindsey Stirling as well?

Piano would be difficult, but might be possible. (I’m just biased towards my instrument, though! 😅) This seems like a very interesting storyline, please post in on KP when you finish!

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
                                  ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >