Story book world-HELP!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Story book world-HELP!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BlueJay
    @bluejay
      • Total Posts: 1622

@hope HELP!!!!!! (And anyone else) @daeus, @kate-flournoy, @emma-flournoy, @overcomer, @winter-rose, @jess, @clairec, @spradlin, @faithdk, @rolena-hatfield, @gretald, @ingridrd, @his-instrument, @christi-eaton, @timothy-young, @anna-brie, @gideon-sowdon, @warrioroftherealm, @EVERYONE!!!!!
      I got a great idea, but the more I write it the more it confuses me. So basically…. I’m stepping into the world of books. Allow me to use Beauty and the Beast as an example. So the characters in there may do what they want, but the moment a human starts to read it, they are whisked into positions. (acting term) 🙂 But I can’t figure out what would happen if another human read the book at the same time.
      I suppose I could make it that the story teller (he controls the books) can stop two humans from reading the same book.
      What do you guys think????

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BlueJay.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BlueJay.
      Hope Ann
      @hope
        • Total Posts: 1092

@bluejay So…like there’s a storybook world. Character run around and do what they want until they have to act out until someone reads the book then they have to act out their roles. But does this mean they have to act them out again and again and in any order? That could be interesting, though I’ve a feeling they would get bored with it very quickly. Hmm…

Have you read the Inkheart books? (if you have, is your name from them, by any chance?) There is the story world, and the story itself is on the pages. It doesn’t change after it’s written. But inside the world itself, in something is pulled out or put in which messes up the story, the story changes. The words are written. They don’t change. But for the inside story itself, once there is a change, on one knows how it will end (and obviously no one would even know that anything had changed unless they were inside the story themselves).

If you needed the characters to act out their parts as part of the plot, maybe there could be mirror characters. Or maybe it’s like the whole book is happening at one time so a character can be playing his part wherever he needs to be no matter how many people are reading it…

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

ClaireC
        @clairec
          • Total Posts: 628

@bluejay. Oooo! This is a really neat idea. 🙂
          So let me get this straight. There’s a book. And the characters in that book do whatever they want normally, but when someone opens the book and begins to read, the characters move lightning fast back to where they belong. Is that right? Sort of like Captain Crewe tells his daughter, Sara, about her dolls in ‘The Little Princess’ (Francis Hodgeson Burnett).
          So, when you say another human reads the book at the same time do you mean a different copy of the same book? Or exactly the same book?

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

BlueJay
          @bluejay

@clairec Yes, you have the exact idea. I have only seen the movie ‘The little princess’ and that scene isn’t in there. 🙁
            I mean them reading a different. It would be like me starting B & B now and in five minutes you read the book too. But up where you are.

@hope
            We have the Inkheart books but I have not yet gotten to them. And my name as in Bluejay? Cause no, it’s due to my real name. 🙂
            It’s so confusing isn’t it? I’m thinking that the characters are just like puppets and have to do what the words tell them. I’m not going into that side too much, so at the moment it doesn’t really matter.

Jess
            @jess
              • Total Posts: 575

@bluejay, I love the idea. 🙂 I thought of the Inkheart books too. (Or maybe Wreck it Ralph? I’ve never seen the movie, but the premise seems to be similar) Maybe there is one master book where the story-teller makes the characters come to life, then the characters stay in that book. All the other prints contain shallow, clone-like versions of the characters that do exactly as was written in the original story. However, the characters in the original book do what they want, as long as they are not currently participating in the story. Just thoughts…

BlueJay
              @bluejay

@jess Hmm…that’s an idea. I’ll keep thinking.

BlueJay
                @bluejay
                  BlueJay
                  @bluejay

@hope If he doesn’t have a name, would you like me to use the name you gave your beast to bring your book into my book??? (Only if you want. I understand if you don’t want me to) ((What did you call him?))

BlueJay
                    @bluejay

Oh and if people want to suggest books for me, I’d appreciate it. I’m trying to stick more on the fairy tales side of books. *puppy dog eyes* Please….

Hope Ann
                      @hope
                        • Total Posts: 1092

@bluejay I just mentioned your name because there’s a character called the Bluejay in Inkspell (the second Inkheart book I just finished).

Also, no. The beast doesn’t have a name in most stories…I looked that up while writing Rose of Prophecy. The closest thing I could find was that he was sometimes called Adam somewhere. The name I gave him, Aden, was a variation of Adam that I thought fit really well. And no, I wouldn’t mind if you called the beast that. 😉

Also, have you read Waking Beauty by Sarah Morin? It’s a retelling of Sleeping Beauty (obviously) and I really liked it. The depth of the allegory surprised me.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

BlueJay
                        @bluejay

@hope The things you find out!!! 😉
                          Thanks. Aden he is now. 🙂 (I have a toy monkey called that. 🙂 )
                          And no, I haven’t. I’ll have to look that book up.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BlueJay.
                          ClaireC
                          @clairec
                            • Total Posts: 628

@bluejay. I think you’re very brave. Writing fantasy like this is hard. I’m not sure how much help I’ll be, but I’ll let you know if I have any good ideas! 🙂

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper
                              • Total Posts: 3515

Maybe everyone has doubles of themselves and that they can see. The first group of people are following their ‘act’s then the second group of people is delayed in what they are doing.

@bluejay

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Christine Eaton
                              @christi-eaton
                                • Total Posts: 306

@bluejay, interesting concept, it sort of reminds me of Inkheart and the TV show Once Upon a Time. I really like it, and I’m sure you’ll do a great job in writing this. Can’t wait to read it! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Greta
                                @gretald
                                  • Total Posts: 450

@bluejay Ooo, I like the story idea! And like @christi-eaton said, it does remind me a bit of Inkheart. 🙂 You will let me read it when you’re finished, won’t you? 😉

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Greta.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >