*stands up to introduce self* *trips*

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE *stands up to introduce self* *trips*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @that_writer_girl_99
      • Total Posts: 1819

Everyone here has already asked you a bunch of questions, but who’s your favorite author?

After I finish my AA, I’m going to be a creative writing major, and although I like writing poetry, it doesn’t come easily, so I definitely respect you for that.

Welcome to KP! *flies off to go brainstorm*

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1486

@feedingmygoldfish Oooh Little Woman is so good! Beatrix Potter… I think I need to refresh my memory on her.

FeedingMyGoldfish
        @feedingmygoldfish
          • Total Posts: 47

@aratrea I think most people have readings from St. Vincent Milay is they take American Lit or an overview course. I had never heard of Amy Lowell before taking my literature classes, though, and I read a lot of classics. I would guess that she is lesser known than some.

@that_writer_girl_99
          My favorite fiction author is Beatrix Potter, hands down. She’s my writing twin in a lot of ways. I also really love Robert Frost’s poetry. @winter-rose Beatrix Potter created the characters of Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny, plus many, many others. Her stories were mainly published between 1900 and 1915.

Audrey Caylin
          @audrey-caylin
            • Total Posts: 323

@feedingmygoldfish *waves* hello! I love your username 😀 Do you actually have a goldfish, or…?

And squirrels. Squirrels are awesome xD I actually got attacked by one when I was five or six. I walked too close to his mushroom and he came and scratched me. I still love them though.

Jess
            @jess
              • Total Posts: 575

@feedingmygoldfish
              Yes, that little bit about the water flinging was pure comedic gold. And so stinking true, too. Everyone’s already asked you a lot of questions, so I won’t add anymore to your plate. Hope to see you around the forum !!! 😀 *disappears dramatically with a snap of her fingers*

Anon
              @theliterarycrusader
                • Total Posts: 64

@audrey-caylin No, she doesn’t have a goldfish (except in her imagination); her finances right now are devoted to buying supplies for the pair of guinea pigs she’s adopting tomorrow. 😛 She’s going to use them for all her story experiments. 😉

Audrey Caylin
                @audrey-caylin
                  • Total Posts: 323

@theliterarycrusader oh, I see. Guinea pigs are cool though 😉

Christine Eaton
                  @christi-eaton
                    • Total Posts: 306

@feedingmygoldfish Welcome! So glad to have you here! A good friend of Brianna eh? Well, I have grown quite fond of her myself so I’m sure I’ll just adopt you right along with her 😉 Little Women is one of my favorites as well (I have a book review on it floating around this website somewhere) my goal is to one day play Jo onstage. But we’ll see if that happens 😀 Well once again, welcome to this crazy kingdom!

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

FeedingMyGoldfish
                    @feedingmygoldfish

@audrey-caylin @theliterarycrusader Yes, I currently have just the imaginary goldfish. I was going to get a goldfish last week, but then I accidentally found guinea pigs for adoption. Actually, I’m not exactly sure how I ended up getting guinea pigs at this particular time. I had been researching them and then…it kind of just happened that way. XD

@jess
                      I’m glad you enjoyed my late-night delirious humor. 😛

@christi-eaton
                      Little Women is the best. And I love Jo. In fact, my profile picture is technically an illustration of Jo, but I also scribble in my little hideaway and I have dark, bobbed hair. I tell people she’s my literary twin.

Kina Lamb
                      @kina-lamb
                        • Total Posts: 162

@feedingmygoldfish welcome! Did you draw your profile picture? I really like it. 😀 Have you read “Anne Of Green Gables?” You seem like someone who would enjoy her. 😀

FeedingMyGoldfish
                        @feedingmygoldfish

@kina-lamb Nooooo…I can’t draw to save my life, haha! I’m not exactly sure who the artist is. I’ve read most of the Anne of Green Gables series, actually. 🙂 I liked Anne a lot when I was little, but it’s been a long time since I last read any of the books.

R. J. Wordsmith
                          @r-j-wordsmith
                            • Total Posts: 113

Hello @feedingmygoldfish, glad to have you! I hope your stay in the kingdom is both long and literarily prosperous. The animal stories sound amazing. Do you just write about the creatures themselves, or do they ever interact with humans, like in Beatrix Potter? Also, have you read any of Kipling’s work?

FeedingMyGoldfish
                            @feedingmygoldfish

@r-j-wordsmith Thank you for the kind welcome. 🙂 Whether or not the animals interact (at least directly) with humans depends on which series I am working on at the moment. I have two series, which are loosely intertwined; one of them is set on a farm in the American Midwest, the other in a wild pecan grove in a river bottom of the same region. My characters are markedly less anthropomorphic than Beatrix Potter’s, though, in either setting. And I have read Kipling, yes! “Riki Tiki Tavi” is one of my favorite, favorite, FAVORITE stories. 😀 Then, of course, there’s The Jungle Book. *happy sigh*

Snapper
                              @dragon-snapper
                                • Total Posts: 3515

@feedingmygoldfish
                                *bows* Greetings, water flinger. May our flinging not be in vain! Huzzah!
                                Squirrels. Yes, @theliterarycrusader asked me to give a sidekick squirrel in a KP short story series I’m writing. 😛
                                Have you written any stories with North America birds? I’ve never tried to write a story with animals before though, how does it work? Do you have them act like people do, and just describe it that way? (the more I think about it, the more ideas I’m getting)
                                Aw, guinea pigs! I used to have a guinea pig. 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

FeedingMyGoldfish
                                @feedingmygoldfish

@dragon-snapper I have not written any stories with a North American bird as a main character, but I do have a couple of stories with an avian supporting character. 🙂 I have at least one story idea stashed away that deals with the wild turkeys we have around our house and an escaped peacock.

(@theliterarycrusader, did I tell you about the peacock? He just walked through the backyard one day and I don’t think the turkeys exactly knew what to do with that. :P)

I try to avoid having my animal characters act like people. Now, it is impossible to write completely non-anthropomorphic animals, simply because of the amount of abstract thinking required to make good characters and, therefore, a good story. And animals simply don’t think on that level, even though some do have high intelligence, some problem-solving skills, and even emotions. However, I try to base all their basic behavior, motivation, and body language off the observations I have made growing up in the country and being around a *lot* of animals, both domestic and wild.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >