*stands up to introduce self* *trips*

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE *stands up to introduce self* *trips*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    FeedingMyGoldfish
    @feedingmygoldfish
      • Total Posts: 47

Hi, everyone! I’m Rachel. 🙂 I have a history of tripping when introducing myself in an important setting, so I thought, “Hey, why not carry on the tradition here?” Anyway. *coughs*

I heard about KP through Brianna. (She’s incredibly awesome, by the way, isn’t she? And several years of friendship do not in any way make me biased. Not a bit.) For some reason, it took me months of knowing about KP to figure out that there’s a forum I could join. I think it’s college. It’s frying my brain. Speaking of college, I’m finishing my associate’s degree in Liberal Studies this May. I would have been an English major, except my community college doesn’t have an English major. *sigh*

I first got addicted to writing about 13 years ago, and I’ve never quit scribbling since. I recently started writing poetry, but my specialty is writing short stories about North American animals. (I MAY be slightly obsessed with squirrels.) Oh, also…I’m the friend Brianna mentioned who wrote the excessively dramatic bit about making enough money flinging water to feed my goldfish, hence the username. 😛

Thank you all for welcoming me into your virtual space. I think I’ll like it here. 🙂

Anon
      @theliterarycrusader
        • Total Posts: 64

@feedingmygoldfish Welcome to the bestistest place on the Internet!!! I SAID IT FIRST! 😀

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my very, very, very dear friend (who I’ve been pestering incessantly about KP)! Treat her well, or you shall incur my wrath. 😛 *Cues thunderclap*

Be forewarned: she’s a grammar Nazi too.

@rolena-hatfield
        @dragon-snapper This is the friend who adores squirrels. 😉

Anon
        @theliterarycrusader

@feedingmygoldfish The title of your post though. XD That’s priceless.

FeedingMyGoldfish
          @feedingmygoldfish

@theliterarycrusader I prefer “Master of the Squirreliest Language on Earth.” 😛 Also, yeah…tripping is kinda my thing. XD

FeedingMyGoldfish
            @feedingmygoldfish

@theliterarycrusader You could also say I’m a grammar nut. 😉

Anon
              @theliterarycrusader

@feedingmygoldfish Yeah, we’re a pair of nuts. 😛

FeedingMyGoldfish
                @feedingmygoldfish

@theliterarycrusader Well, you know… They say the way to find a squirrel is to sit in a tree and act like a nut. So, if we’re nuts, then we need to sit in a tree together and interview squirrels to get material for my next stories.

Anon
                  @theliterarycrusader

@feedingmygoldfish XD That’d be a good plan, except I’m (mostly) scared of heights and terrible at tree climbing. 😛

Daeus
                    @daeus
                      • Total Posts: 4238

@feedingmygoldfish Hey, welcome to the bestistest place on the internet!

🐿 “Nuts?” “Chump chump chump” *grin*

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 1486

@feedingmygoldfish Hello! It’s nice to meet you, fellow water flinger! 🙂 I know I’m the third person to say it, but welcome to the bestistest place on the internet!

What are some of your favorite books?

Josiah DeGraaf
                        @aratrea
                          • Total Posts: 717

@feedingmygoldfish Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us. Do you have any favorite literary time periods as a quasi-English major?

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

FeedingMyGoldfish
                          @feedingmygoldfish

Thank you all for your kind welcome. 🙂

@winter-rose My favorite novel is Little Women, but anything by Eleanor H. Porter is at the top of my list as well. I also have a copy of the Complete Poems of Robert Frost and the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter, both of which I adore.

@aratrea
                            Ooh, good question! Broadly speaking, I like the modern writing style that started developing after the Civil War and continued until the 1920s or so. Having read independently and in literature classes, I find myself attracted to the crisp, no-frills language and the more personal voice, and these are things I aim to capture in my own writing. However, there are so many much older works that I love as well. It’s hard to choose, haha!

Josiah DeGraaf
                            @aratrea

@feedingmygoldfish Ah; nice. So Fitzgerald, Hemingway and the like?

FeedingMyGoldfish
                              @feedingmygoldfish

@aratrea Yes, exactly. I also enjoy poets like Amy Lowell and Edna St. Vincent Milay, and other women who wrote during the period. Their writing has a slightly different feel to it than that of the men who were writing at the time, and that’s interesting to me. I think for writers in general, it was an era of knowing the rules so well they decided to break them and see what came of it.

Josiah DeGraaf
                                @aratrea

@feedingmygoldfish Oh, neat. I’m trying to remember if I’ve read either of those poets in my college courses (I’m currently finishing up a degree in literature), but am coming up blank. =P Poetry has never been my strong suit, so I have a much harder time remembering what poets I’ve actually read and studied. xD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >