So There's This Idea I Have…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions So There's This Idea I Have…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @joy
      • Total Posts: 59

I’ve been reading a bit about the American Civil war recently, and it got me thinking about a new story idea: What if, after the North won, they took over the plantations and made the Southerners work for them like the slaves once had? The power could go to their heads and make them want to humiliate their defeated countrymen; leading to a new and oppressive government that the South had to create a sort of resistance against.

Yes, it sounds pretty rough, but I just thought I’d put it out there. Tell me what you think!

Tagging anyone who wants to reply 🙂

*whispers aggressively* "The HONOUR!"

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Joy oooh… what I like about that is it has a ton of thematic potential. I’m not quite sure about the revisionism, from a historical standpoint, and if it was me I would probably create a fantasy or scifi world and then do the story with obvious parallels to the Civil War, but there are a lot of writers that can pull off things I’d be scared to try, so it’s up to you.
        But yeah. I really like that.

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 4

I think it’s a great idea! It sounds so much like it could have happened….Well I think it is going to happen now if you are writing it…

Elizabeth
          @that_writer_girl_99
            • Total Posts: 1819

Whoa, this is a cool idea! @joy

Just saying though…the Civil War wasn’t just about North vs South. It was brother versus brother, father versus son. Each group was made up of thousands of people, with their own beliefs, ideals, and opinions–things they were willing to lose their lives for. That’s huge, especially in the times we live in today.

I’m not saying I totally disagree with the idea. It sounds like a great concept. I’d suggest playing with different worlds and themes and see what comes of it.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Gracie
            @graciegirl
              • Total Posts: 889

@Joy Fascinating idea! Definitely thematic potential here. 😀
              I’m gonna echo what some of the others said too: I personally would put it in a fantasy world with strong similarities to tie it to the Civil War era. It just sounds plain easier to me because there’s more freedom to wing the details. But it’s, of course, totally up to you, and if you’re willing to take on the extra challenge I say go for it! 🙂

*is probably geeking out about something*

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99
                • Total Posts: 1819

Yes. Yes. I agree with @graciegirl.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

@joy I like it. Actually, to some degree that happened. Not white servitude, but the south felt mistreated after the war and there was a good deal of unrest during reconstruction. It could be good stuff to get ideas for your novel from.

Anyway, I would totally be for keeping this story in the real world. However, since you don’t want history buffs getting upset, I recommend throwing in a few crazy elements to it so that people realize your not trying to be historically accurate. That would help them stop judging you by historical standards. For instance, you could have a group of Chinese terrorists that have set up their own little country inside of Missouri. If you’re going to be historically inaccurate, embrace it. (Just stick to a historical foundation so you don’t go totally crazy.)

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah
                  @salome01w4g
                    • Total Posts: 991

@joy I second what @daeus said
                    For one thing, there is A TON of fantasy out there, and from a person who likes things being realistic I would do it in real world. Also another thing maybe put a disclaimer that the historic details aren’t accurate. I like the idea! Daeus pretty much said everything I would have…. accept the Chinese terrorists…. (were did that come from???)

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Catwing
                    @catwing
                      • Total Posts: 2557

@joy Do it. It sounds like a story for Sliders… It’s a dimension traveling show. In their first episode, red meant go and green meant stop. Yep.
                      But why does your story branch off into a new branch of dimensions? Did a traveler make all of this happen for some cause? Was he trying to go back in time?

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper
                        • Total Posts: 3515

@joy
                        Awesome! I love the idea, and it could definitely work!
                        Now my brain is brainstorming even though its not my idea. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice
                          • Total Posts: 3365

@joy, it sounds really cool, I’d definitely read it! If I was you, I’d set it in the real world as an alternative history, but you’d have to make it clear that it was alternate history and not REAL history, so I’d suggest reading some other alternate history novels first for an idea of how they do it. It sounds like a good idea anyway though, good luck with it 😀

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy
                            • Total Posts: 1352

@Joy A conglomeration and selections of what the others said. 😀 I don’t really like a lot of history revisionism so I’d enjoy something like your idea way better if it took place in another world. But with obvious parallels.

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 1330

Sounds like a story I would definitely read. @joy

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 859

@joy great idea! I think that I would second what @daeus said. This story definitely belongs in the real world.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >