Singing

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Music Singing

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    FeedingMyGoldfish
    @feedingmygoldfish
      • Total Posts: 47

@dragon-snapper First, breath control! Both high notes and low notes need the support of your diaphragm. Lie down on the floor, on your back, and this will allow to you to get an idea of how proper breathing feels. When you breathe with your belly, instead of your chest only, you are able to control tone and projection much more. Second, enunciate, enunciate, enunciate. Singing in a way that people can understand your words pretty much feels ridiculous, because you have to over-enunciate. My mom taught me to sing, and the enunciation example I always remember is “in excelsis deo.” My mom taught me to sing it “een egg-shell-seese de-yo.” XD Maybe don’t go that far…but do pronounce the words more precisely than you do when talking.

@theliterarycrusader
      Oddly, I did not see that you said something here until just now. Weird. Anyway, I think it would be more accurate to say that I *pretend* to sing opera. XD Either way, I’m constantly humming. singing, or talking to myself while I’m working. I think it’s a habit I picked up from working with animals, because I always talk or sing or otherwise make calm sounds around them so they don’t forget I’m there. 😛

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Dragon-Snapper what @FeedingMyGoldfish said. 😀
        I’m afraid I know next to nothing about singing at all— I just love to do it and so I do, and I’ve learned along the way. I did look up a few tutorials on breath control starting out, but otherwise it’s all just been trial and error— and practice. *evil smile*
        I guess if I had one piece of advice to offer, it’s that force does not equal volume. You don’t sing louder by trying to sing louder. The sound is both louder and more pure if you fill your body with it and let it spill out of its own accord instead of trying to project it outward.

FeedingMyGoldfish
        @feedingmygoldfish
          • Total Posts: 47

@dragon-snapper what @kate-flournoy said! 😛 Projection/volume should come mainly from the abdominal muscles and not from the throat muscles. Throat muscles=yelling, abs/diaphragm=louder and clearer notes. Throat muscles are for pitch and vibrato, in my experience.

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 11

Hello!! I love singing. However, the only time I’ve sang in public was in a dance musical and a church play but that was awhile ago, so………..yeah. I don’t know if I’m any good, but I love to sing anyway.

ClaireC
            @clairec
              • Total Posts: 628

@dragon-snapper. I’ve done something similar.
              Youtube is very helpful. My favourites are
              Madeline Harvey – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnX9bUmrW5AI0Kr1C1IqBsQ
              Evelynne Hollens – https://www.youtube.com/user/EvynneHollensMusic
              and sometimes a little bit of Felicia Ricci – https://www.youtube.com/user/madameunreality

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

R.M. Archer
              @r-m-archer
                • Total Posts: 243

*waves* Hi. I sing! 🙂 I was in choir for twelve years (it’s so weird putting that in the past tense…), so I have some training. Nothing super formal, but enough that I know how to sing pretty well. And I love experimenting with different sounds on my own, imitating different styles and whatnot. 🙂 My range is roughly E3 to E6 on a good day? The upper and lower ends depend on the day and how I’ve warmed up, and I haven’t been good about practicing my upper register so it’s kind of… fading, unfortunately. :/

Do y’all have any artists you particularly enjoy singing along to?

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Reagan Ramm
                @reaganramm
                  • Total Posts: 110

This is such a cool topic! I’m always looking to add new vocalists for my songs!

I sing by necessity but I don’t really consider myself a singer since I don’t particularly like my voice and don’t think that I’m very good. Here’s an example. 

Hence why I’m always trying to find new vocalists.

My Music:
                  AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                  OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

R.M. Archer
                  @r-m-archer

@reaganramm That’s a really cool song! It has a very Owl City-ish style, and your voice seems well-suited to the sound. I’ll have to check out more of your work!

Reagan Ramm
                    @reaganramm
                      • Total Posts: 110

Thanks! Glad you liked it. Owl City has definitely been an influence.

Do you have any recordings of your singing anywhere online?

My Music:
                      AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                      OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

R.M. Archer
                      @r-m-archer

I have a music Instagram account @singwhenwordsfail. There are only a handful of songs up (most of them under saved stories), but I’ve been meaning to start posting again.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >