Short Story Idea (May turn into Novella)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques Short Story Idea (May turn into Novella)

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jess.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cloudy
    @cloudy
      • Total Posts: 99

So I took a 6-day intensive on taming of the shrew. It ha quickly became my favorite Shakespeare play. So I wrote this blurb that would probably be stuck in the middle of the story somewhere:

The knight ride to the mouth of the cave. The afternoon light fell on him, dappled through the trees. The cave for which he had been seeking for o long peered out of a break in the trees. He was astonished that he wasn’t met by a dragon. He was met by a lovely young woman. Her hair was a rich chocolate brown, long, and spilling down her shoulders and back. Her eyes were the color of honey, and her skin a milky tan. She was dressed in a white flowing dress, a blood-red sash at her waist and rippling down the folds of her dress. She stunned the knight as he drew up his horse to gaze deeply into her face. He read loneliness and anger in her eyes. But her face was calm and soft.
      “Fair lady,” the knight said. “Do not the people in the kingdom say a monster lives in these woods, and in fact, this cave?” She blinked slowly and gazed up at him. In a light, but strong voice, she answered.
      “Indeed they do. And indeed there is a monster who lurks in these woods and lives in this cave.”
      “Then why do you linger here?”
      “I am the monster”

What do you think? How would you turn this into a short story/novella? Does this sound like a good premise?

@daeus
      @jess @dragon-snapper @kina-lamb @that_writer_girl_99

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Cloudy I love her as a villain! 😀 I can think of several ways I would go about making this a short story or novella, but that would be me writing it, which isn’t quite fair. 😉
        I would just say play around with the character motivations and relationships and go from there. Go for it. Never know until you try. 🙂

Cloudy
        @cloudy

@kate-flournoy Thanks. I guess that’s true. Thanks for the advice. I like your new profile picture. Have you read taming of the shrew? Because I have, and it’s making me think of a glorious plot twist! OH YES! I HAVE FOUND MY CAMP NANOWRIMO SUBJECT! WOOP WOOP!!!!!! THANK YOU, KATE, DEAR, SWEET KATE!!! (From real life and Ficitional)

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@cloudy What Kate said. I think that its a great idea!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Gracie
            @graciegirl
              • Total Posts: 889

@Cloudy Oooh, me likey! I have zero experience with short stories and/or novellas, so I’m afraid I can’t offer anything in that department. That said, I can tell you that as a reader this intrigues me. 🙂 I say run with it! 😀

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Gracie.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Cloudy
              @cloudy

I was doing some research and this may turn into a novellette (considering I think it will probably be around 7K-10K words…I don’t know… I’ve started to write and I think I’m either going to fast or my rough draft is going to be shorter than I expected. @kate-flournoy @jess @dragon-snapper @graciegirl

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Cloudy.
                Jess
                @jess
                  • Total Posts: 575

I haven’t read Taming of the Shrew yet, but this sounds like an interesting story. (From what I’ve gathered.) 😀 @cloudy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >