Short Story Brainstorms

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Short Story Brainstorms

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christine Eaton
    @christi-eaton
      • Total Posts: 306

Hey all!

So I’ve been thinking about writing a short story lately. But, I’m not sure where to start. (Well, actually my Pinterest contains a bunch of different images of characters so that’s one way) But what I want to know is, how do many of you brainstorm short stories? Any special process? I want to hear everything, so don’t be shy and spill your ideas! 🙂

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 68

DIALOGUE PROMPTS!!!!!!

seriously, they’re the best. they leave the characters and setting up to you, but get your ideas rolling. just google/look them up on pinterest!!

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@Christi-Eaton actually I only ever write short stories if I have a really interesting concept that bears exploring but I don’t know if I could make a whole novel out of it. I write short stories as little allegorical pictures, I guess you could say. A lot of my short story ideas come from reading Proverbs, actually. 😛 The way I approach most of my writing, after getting the basic concept idea, is from the angle of theme— what I can say with the concept, which shapes the way the story turns out. And Proverbs is crammed with little thematic premises all nicely packaged with the answers all provided… it’s gotten to a point where it’s actually impossible to read Proverbs without a notebook handy. XD So either pick a verse whose philosophical premise you like and build a story around it, or if you already have a concept but aren’t sure which direction to take it, flip through Proverbs and see if you can’t pick up some clues.

Rolena Hatfield
          @rolena-hatfield
            • Total Posts: 405

@Christi-Eaton
            Like Chloe said, I find Pinterest to be pretty inspiring.
            But also like Kate said, I love to pick a theme and the story usually develops from there. (She’s right about Proverbs being packed with good story starters!)
            Other than that, I have a drawer full of ideas I’ve written down over the years for just the time when inspiration is needed. For future use, write down ideas when they come and tuck them away for the day you need them!
            Hmmm… as far as my brainstorming, I don’t have a special process. It usually just starts with one item of interest. (a location, a certain character, an item, like you said Pinterest if you need ideas!) And the story forms around the item of interest that inspired me.

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Christine Eaton
            @christi-eaton
              • Total Posts: 306

@rolena-hatfield @kate-flournoy, I was actually thinking of starting based on a solid theme and try to get the ball rolling from there. 🙂 Great thoughts!

@zoe-wingfeather, I’ll have to look into some dialogue prompts. They are fun to read. 😉

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

Well first, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that short stories are short… which is obvious, but one problem you can face is to try to fit a complex plot into a short story. Just don’t do that. Short stories should usually only have one scene. If they have more than one, the scenes should be short and the plot still not very complex. Some ideas will only work for a novel, so don’t try to turn them into a short story.

Now, I should have some ideas for this. Let me think. Ok, so one good way to write a short story is to just start off with a voice that captivates you, place it in the modern era just for convenience, and then just start writing and turn it into something. I wrote my best short story that way.

Besides that, theme based story ideas are probably your best bet since then you have one central pillar around which to base your story whereas trying to create a plot just off of a cool plot idea can often be like trying to untangle a heap of knots.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anne of Lothlorien
                @anne-of-lothlorien
                  • Total Posts: 440

What I do for short story inspiration is wait until I’m out in public and pick a person to watch. WATCH HER SLASH HIM HARD! AS LONG AS YOU CAN! write down everything about them, characteristics, how they walk/talk/eat/breathe facial quirks, funky styles, personality. Then, go home, and start with them saying one of your favorite one liners, and just write. It always works for me, and turns into something.

Or I go to @hope ‘s Instagram page and look at dialogue prompts. Hope’s Instagram

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >