Sherlock Holmes

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Sherlock Holmes

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jess
    @jess
      • Total Posts: 575

I have read most (if not all) of the short stories and loved them. Some were gruesome, but overall I liked the stories. I don’t think he is very irritating. He is so logical and concise! (I actually see a lot of myself in him, so maybe that’s why. I cannot stand illogical things, which makes my fantasy stories a little strange.:) ) And I like the Speckled Band now. I read a kids version too, and was really scared of the vent in my room for a while! @hope

Corissa Maiden of Praise
      @corissa-maiden-of-praise
        • Total Posts: 256

@jess Yes, I enjoyed watching him work. Even though he usually seemed so cold, there were so many little moments he opened up and you saw the great big heart he had inside! 🙂

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Jada Morrison
        @jadamae
          • Total Posts: 199

I have only read “The Sign of the Four” because we did in the KP book club. It was good, but I didn’t really love it. @Kate-Flournoy definitely has a point. I did read and like Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton. Those were really great.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

I actually haven’t read any…according to a trusted source (ahem, @Kate-Flournoy), I may not. *shrug* What’s the use, if they’re not AMAZING?
            But I know everyone has differing opinions, which I respect. 🙂
            What’s supposed to be THE BEST one?

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise

Sarah Hoven
            @sarah-h
              • Total Posts: 669

@emma-flournoy The Hound of the Baskervilles is my very favorite one. I think it’s the best, but I haven’t read all of them.

Corissa Maiden of Praise
              @corissa-maiden-of-praise
                • Total Posts: 256

@emma-flournoy It’s so hard to pick the “best”! 😉 And I simply can’t pick a favorite. Some people say that “The Hound of the Baskervilles” is the best, but it is a little creepy (especially if you have a good imagination 😉 ) Maybe you should read “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes,” which is a collection of some of his short stories and will probably give you a pretty good idea of whether you want to read the rest. However, “A Study in Scarlet” is the first one, so you may want to start with that one. 🙂

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Emma Flournoy
                @emma-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 1352
                  Anne of Lothlorien
                  @anne-of-lothlorien
                    • Total Posts: 440

Yay Sherlock!
                    I love him when he’s a detective because of his conciseness, particularity, professionalism, and awesomeness. When he’s just living, he does get irritating, especially when he’s telling Watson that love is only a human feeling that it can be broken so easily and is fragile which is all true but he makes it seem like no one should love, and he doesn’t point out that it’s strong too, and deep, and true, and sometimes eternal.

My favorite so far is The Sign of the Four, and my favorite short story is the Scandal in Bohemia. I just started the Hound of the Baskervilles, so no spoilers please. And since y’all are jabbering over the plot twist in Valley of Fear, I’m gonna be cringing the whole time waiting for it. Thanks.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Racheal
                    @r-e-p
                      • Total Posts: 14

Sherlock Holmes whetted my appetite for mystery stories. To this day, I love a good mystery. I believe I have read all of the the Holmes stories and consequently cannot remember them all or pick a favorite. Dr. Watson is actually my favorite character (I relate to him very well), but Sherlock’s immensely logical brain never ceases to wonder me.

In short, I love Sherlock Holmes…and now I’ve the hankering to go dig up one of my Holmes books…. 😀

I always love it when he tells his client where they’ve been because of the mud on their boots…

The Impossible Girl
                      @f5a8c3e92
                        • Total Posts: 146

Hello. Yes, I’ve read Sherlock’s adventures and absolutely loved them! I find I can relate to Detective Holmes himself in many ways and often I solve his cases before all is revealed.

"Not all who wander are lost."
                        Wild Australian. INXJ.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >