Sherlock Holmes

Home Page › Forums › Fiction Writing › Book Discussions › Sherlock Holmes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Corissa Maiden of Praise
    @corissa-maiden-of-praise
      • Total Posts: 256

Ah, this looks like the right place for this. @BlueJay 😀

So, who out there has read Sherlock Holmes and loved him? Or, dare I say it, hated him? *gasps* If you do hate him, please tell me why, because aside from a few swear words 😛 I thought they were some of the best stories I’ve ever read. In one of the books, Sir Doyle did something that has never been done: he completely and totally surprised me. It’s so rare for a writer to be caught completely off guard by a plot-twist that I laughed out loud when it happened! 😉

@kate-flournoy
      @christi-eaton @spradlin @sarah-h @clairec @zcpeterson @ingridrd @Daeus @emma-flournoy @winter-rose @dragon-snapper @everyone (seriously, @Daeus, that tag would really come in handy sometimes. 😉 )

I already know @hope has read them all and @anne-of-lothlorien is working on them. 😀

So if you have read them, were you able to pick a favorite? I know I wasn’t! They’re all so good! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

ClaireC
      @clairec
        • Total Posts: 628

Sorry, @corissa-maiden-of-praise, I haven’t read them! 🙂

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1486

@corissa-maiden-of-praise Kingdom Pen actually did the Sign of the Four for a book club.
          So I read the book and I did like it! I loved the writing style, and other things (for some reason I can’t think of specifics, just the overall feeling that I liked the book)
          I haven’t read any of the rest. But if I were to read another, which one would you recommend?

I get what your saying about not being surprised by books. I tend to guess plot twists and stuff too. 🙂 My favorite book currently is one that knocked me off my feet and literally had me gasping for air. So I get the love of surprise. 🙂

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@winter-rose Well, all of them! 😉 The Valley of Fear is the one that surprised me; unfortunately, it also contained the most swear words. 😛 But The Hound of the Baskervilles is always a classic. For short stories… *scratches head* *screams internally* Oh, goodness, I simply CAN’T choose! 😀

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@clairec You should check them out sometime! 😉

Anonymous

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise 🙂 I will have to add them to my list. I’m technically suppose to be reading the Hobbit right now. 🙂

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@winter-rose Oh yes, the Hobbit! 😀 You have some of the greatest books ever on your list. 😉

Anonymous

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise 🙂 I’m suppose to read it for the KP book club. But yeah its a great book:) (Technically I’ve never read it. My dad read it to me and my sis a few years ago) 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise… um… heh. *dons kevlar* I’ve read quite a few Sherlock Holmes and I never really cared for them. I really love intense stories and a good mystery, but I think the thing with Sherlock Holmes is that so much of it just seems pretty close to horror. It’s not technically horror, I know, but those I’ve read are so… bizarre… like poison-wielding pygmies… and uncles who kill their nieces by slipping poisonous snakes into their beds because they don’t want them to get married… I just never really cared all that much for the depressing weirdness of it all. Don’t get me wrong— I love weirdness. (You know that. 😛 😉 ). And I like bizarre in small doses. But Sherlock Holmes was never really that thrilling to me.
                      Maybe I should read more… I might change my mind. 😉

Sarah Hoven
                      @sarah-h
                        • Total Posts: 669

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise I’ve read Sherlock Holmes! His character irritates me a little, but the stories themselves are amazing. The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of my favorites. I also liked A Study In Scarlet. Now that I think about it, @kate-flournoy, I guess murder mysteries are a little morbid. And Sherlock Holmes himself is depressing. I guess it’s the mystery part of it that I like.
                        @Corissa Speaking of murder mysteries, have you read the Serafina Trent detective series by Gilbert Morris? I haven’t read them in years, but I liked them even better than Sherlock Holmes.

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

I don’t read lots of mysteries, but Sherlock Holmes was always one of my favorites. Well, except for the kid’s version of The Speckled Band which left me terrified a snake would appear from nowhere when I was younger. 😉 The Valley of Fear is my favorite book (because of the plot twist, among other things…) I also enjoyed the Father Brown Mysteries, though they are about as far from Sherlock as one can get.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@kate-flournoy Don’t worry, I’m not going to attack you. I know they’re not perfect and I suppose some of them are a little gruesome; those kinds of things don’t really bother me, especially when it’s fiction. (I suppose when you have dreams like I do, you have to learn not to let it bother you. I’ve done some pretty terrible things in dream-land in self-defense… and experienced things that some would deem terrible. But for me, the more danger the better. 😉 )

@sarah-h
                            His character is a little cocky sometimes, but the depth and complexity of his character fascinates me. No, I’ve never even heard of that series. I’ll have to look them up!

@hope
                            My brother feels the same way about the Speckled Band. He read it when he was like 10, maybe even a little younger, and it absolutely terrified him. Kid’s versions of Sherlock really don’t work all that well; I think they should make a company that publishes classics in their original form but simply gets rid of the swear words. That would be so helpful sometimes. 😉

Greta
                            @gretald
                              • Total Posts: 450

@Corissa-maiden-of-praise
                              Ohh, I love Sherlock Holmes!!! Have you read all the novels? Which was your favorite? Personally, I liked The Hound of the Baskervilles and Valley of Fear the best. 🙂 Which short stories have you read (if any)?

Greta
                              @gretald
                                • Total Posts: 450

@Hope Oh, yeah. The Speckled Band is really creepy. And the plot twist in the Valley of Fear…it was so good. I didn’t see it coming at all. 😀

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@gretald I’ve read all 4 novels and all 60 short stories. A favorite novel… probably… oh, I don’t know. Study in Scarlet was neat since it was the first one. Hound of the Baskervilles is classic. Valley of Fear is wonderfully surprising and suspenseful. And Sign of the Four was not only a top-notch mystery, it had a sweet love story as well. 🙂 So I don’t think I can pick a favorite. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >