Sci-Fi, Dysopian-ish book. Anybody familiar with writing that?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Sci-Fi, Dysopian-ish book. Anybody familiar with writing that?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy
      • Total Posts: 4

Hi everyone. I am new to this place.
      I am also new to writing for people other then my family.

I have this idea that has been bouncing around in my head, and I need some help on the plot aspects of things.

I have characters, I have a problem, I have the solution, I have a bad guy, and I have a small outline for the trilogy.
      I just need help trying to turn those ideas into good books with not cheesy plots.

Does anyone here have experience with that sort of thing?

I have ideas, I just need someone to help me choose the right ideas.

I would be willing to email, message on here, or set up a Google doc.

Would anyone be willing to take me under their wing?

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Kayla-Joy hello! Welcome to KP, the bestistest place on the internet. 😉

While I haven’t written either dystopian or scifi (yet— I have a scifi/steampunk in the works 😉 ) I’d be willing to help all I can. Messaging here is just fine with me, that way others can chime in with their ideas and we can all have a huge brainstorming party. 😀

At this point there’s just one question I would have you ask yourself about the ideas you already have…
        What are you trying to say with your story? What are you trying to get the reader to think about, and what plot twists/threads will best illustrate the problems/truths you are addressing in your story? One of my favorite quotes about writing goes something like this— ‘Don’t worry about originality. Write truth, and originality will come.’ The longer I’ve written, the truer I’ve found this to be.
        That should help you narrow some of your ideas down to a more manageable chunk. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Once again, welcome. We’re so glad to have you. 🙂

Northerner
        @northerner
          • Total Posts: 244

No love triangles.

That’s all.

Well, generally, try to avoid cliches of the genre if you can. Or twist them and make them new. I haven’t written dystopian or sci-fi myself. Oh, and if you’re into linguistics at all — a dys-topia is a bad place, just any bad place in general. If there was a Greek word for “post-apocalyptic gray concrete oppressive state in need of a rebellion and some kissing”, I’m not aware of it.

@Hope
          has written a dystopian, at least one. . . maybe three. She could help.

Oh, and welcome to the bestistest place on the internet.

Hope Ann
          @hope
            • Total Posts: 1092

@Kayla-Joy Hello. Pleased to meet you. *sweeps bow*

And trilogies… those little things. *chokes on insane laugh* I’m currently working on a futuristic/dystopian trilogy. 😉 I’d love to help, if I could. Google docs or email would probably work the best… I don’t get on here as much as I used to, to check things, for time reasons. 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

If there was a Greek word for “post-apocalyptic gray concrete oppressive state in need of a rebellion and some kissing”, I’m not aware of it.

@Northerner
              *chokes* Ouch. Preach it. 😛
              Now now, though. No story is defined solely by its genre. I agree with your lovely sarcasm, but let us not be narrow-minded here. *clears throat softly* I happen to enjoy love triangles well done. And other cliche elements as well. Because a cliche is only cliche if it is there for its own sake, or because ‘that’s how it’s done’. If it strengthens the story, common though it may be, it is not ineffectual and can be very powerful.

Josiah DeGraaf
              @aratrea
                • Total Posts: 717

Welcome to the site @kayla-joy! One of my biggest pieces of advice for you to avoid cheesy/cliched plot is to read as much in the genre as possible–both popular works and good works (which aren’t always the same thing. =P) The more you read in a genre, the more you’ll understand what plot lines are cheesy or cliched–and you’ll also get the chance to see what kind of books other readers like. The more you analyze other books in the genre to understand why they work and/or don’t work, the better your own writing can be when you apply those principles to it. 🙂 Best of luck in this project!

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

Hi, @kayla-joy! Awesome to have you.

I should be able to help if it’s just outlining stuff. I’ve never helped someone outline a story before, but I bet it would be fun.

Btw, everybody, I just wanted to say something incredibly un-authorly, because I’m just that type of person. Cliche = well tested. Yep, and I would say some other offensive things, except that I don’t have the time for it at the moment.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

@Daeus *concurs and joins you in the ranks of offensive un-authors*

Hope Ann
                    @hope
                      • Total Posts: 1092

@Daeus and @Kate-flournoy you are in danger of becoming unoffensive due to a lack of opposition. Cliches are so much fun. 😀 I like twisting their endings, not actually using a complete cliched scene or idea, but starting with cliches and then making it turn into something else is a very useful technique.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper
                        • Total Posts: 3515

@kayla-joy Hi and welcome! So great to have you! Another great thing is that you brought up a topic that I need to. Thanks!
                        *sits back and listens to conversation*

@daeus
                        @kate-flournoy *gasp* How could you? *melts your chairs*

@northerner

No love triangles.

Thank you! I thought I was alone here.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ingrid
                        @ingridrd
                          • Total Posts: 830

Hello, @kayla-joy! Though, I have 0 experience with Sci-Fi or Dystopian-ish novels, I wanted to say “hi” and “welcome.” Glad to have you. 🙂 😉 🙂 WARNING: THE PEOPLE HERE ARE SLIGHTLY CRAZY (or maybe it’s just me and everyone else is normal…I forget which). 😛 Anyway, welcome!

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Ethryndal
                          @ethryndal
                            • Total Posts: 1013

Hey, @Kayla-Joy! Welcome aboard the S.S. Insanity! Though I would one day like to write a dystopian, I fear that I haven’t done it yet and am unqualified to offer you my assistance. However, I would like to cast my lot in with @northerner and @dragon-snapper and say NO TRIANGLES. Unless it’s absolutely necessary. 🙂

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Kayla Joy
                            @kayla-joy
                              • Total Posts: 4

Wow. I just posted last night and already there are so many people willing to help. Wow.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, and thanks to everyone who offered to help me.

I will remember to not make a love triangle unless absolutely necessary… And I will attempt to stay away from cliches.

@Ingrid, thanks for the warning. 🙂 I used to be apart of an online forum, and it was CRAZY. I will reserve my judgement on whether this place is as crazy or crazier, but in my opinion nothing is my crazier then that place.

For those of you who want to help me, I will collect my ideas and put them onto the computer (they are currently on paper). Then I will figure out what I want to do with all these willing people. 🙂

Once I have more time I will answer your questions @Kate-Flournoy. I really like them, they make me think. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Kayla Joy.
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >