Salutations!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Salutations!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Kaya Young
    @kaya-young
      • Total Posts: 272

@dekreel Nope, I didn’t draw it, although I wish I did! where do I even start with my favorite book? I enjoy all kinds of books, and I really just enjoy a good one regardless of genre or who wrote it. When it comes to movies and tv shows I like some Marvel movies, Granite flats, When Calls the Heart, and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

@sam-kowal
      Don’t worry, I figured out you weren’t a crazy narnia hater. 🙂  also thank you! my description of my story is really bad, but that’s the general idea.

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
      http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

The fledgling Artist
      @notawriter
        • Total Posts: 328

@kaya-young Cool! I have a story (or the beginnings of one..) with superheros too 🙂

and I was so confused

Kaya Young
        @kaya-young

@notawriter Well, it’s not really with superheros as much as they have “magical” powers. When someone’s power becomes evident around age 15/16 they call it their “problem”, in general society sees these powers as a curse instead of a blessing. As soon as someone gets their powers they are taken by the government to work. some people are able to control heat, mind control, etc… The MC power is more rare, only a few other people share it with her. She is known as what is called a reacher, and can literally reach into other dimensions.

Do you have any advice for writing superpowers?

The fledgling Artist
          @notawriter

@kaya-young

Reachers sound cool! 🙂
            Haha, one of my characters sees his powers as more of a problem too.
            Hmm well I’ve not actually written my story so your guesses as to do’s and don’ts are probably as good as mine.
            If (when?)I actually wrote mine though I would want to figure out a way to use the powers as a tool to convey the stories theme and message, instead of them just being plot devices, or existing just because they are ‘cool’ (which they are.. but ehem)

Also while I think its important for you the writer to know the ins and outs of the rules behind how the powers work and why they work I don’t think the readers need to know all that stuff.

This is just a couple things that came to mind 🙂 Maybe you’ve already considered this stuff. *shrug*

and I was so confused

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine
              • Total Posts: 3322

@kaya-young I like mostly American history and culture from about 1910 to 1970.  I used to be totally into the Civil War, but I’ve kind of backed off that a little as I got more interested in the 1900s.  I do like reading about the Irish Potato Famine, because of the connection it had with the Irish immigration to America. 🙂  I don’t like Ancient Egypt because I get so depressed whenever I read it, since there was next to no knowledge of God there.  (Other than in the Bible.)

What particularly do you like about the 1800s?  That was a big period of history. 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

The fledgling Artist
              @notawriter

@kaya-young
                Oh yeah I thought of another thing.. So I would avoid using super overdone/common superpowers as I think they can turn readers off a little bit. Try to put your own twist on them if you must 🙂
                I guess most things have been done but I think there is always new ways to use them.

and I was so confused

Emma Flournoy
                @emma-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 1352

@Kaya-Young Welcome to KP, and I adore your signature. ‘I adore spontaneity, providing it is carefully planned.’  Perfect.

Kaya Young
                  @kaya-young

@notawriter Thanks for taking the time to answer! I totally agree with everything you just said. I definitely don’t want the superpowers to become cliche, but it’s hard to come up with new powers. If you think of any let me know! Also that’s sound advice about not telling the readers everything about the superpower, I definitely could see myself going into waaay to much detail.

@rochellaine
                    There was quite a bit of stuff that went on in the 1800’s that I find fascinating, namely Lewis and Clark, the Civil War, the Trail of Tears, the Irish Potato Famine, the fashion in England, and the invention of the escalator, motion pictures, typewriters, and rubber raincoats.

Kaya Young
                    @kaya-young

@emma-flournoy Thank you!

Grace H.
                      @gh24682468999
                        • Total Posts: 199

@kaya-young Welcome to the bestistest place on the Internet! I hope you enjoy your time here 🙂

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
                        literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >