Recommendations Requested

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Poetry Recommendations Requested

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien
      • Total Posts: 440

Hey guys! I’ve decided to try my hand at some poetry, but first, I want to read some published poetry before I do, to sort of get the feel of it, and see what goes.
      So, I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for me to try, preferably beyond the popular ones like The Wreck of the Hesperus and The Lady of Shallot and The Raven. Ones that you yourself have found to be good, or inspiring, or profound. I thank you in advance for your answers.

@kate-flournoy
      @ethryndal @that_writer_girl_99 @daeus @emma-flournoy @dragon-snapper @corissa-maiden-of-praise @aratrea @michael-stanton @stewie-plotter @bluejay

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Josiah DeGraaf
      @aratrea
        • Total Posts: 717

@anne-of-lothlorien Well, I should probably preface this by saying that I’m not much of a poetry person… Most poetry just doesn’t connect with me, and I grew to appreciate it some during college but still don’t fully “get” it. =P

That being said, I do like George Herbert and Emily Dickinson a fair bit. Alexander Pope is also pretty good–and funny. “Rape of the Lock” is a good representative piece from him. Colewell’s “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” is good. Finally, Shakespeare wrote some good sonnets and some longer poems as well. Any works by those above authors should make for good material to study. 🙂

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99
          • Total Posts: 1819

I’m definitely with @aratrea on this one. I don’t write poetry…not that I haven’t tried. I just can’t seem to figure out all the rules. That’s why I like stories. I understand them better, reading and writing wise.

Sorry…I’m not much help. At all. @anne-of-lothlorien

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Anne of Lothlorien
          @anne-of-lothlorien

Thank you for the recommendations @aratrea and that’s okay Elizabeth.
            I wrote poetry more when I was little. the first one I remember writing is this.

Heaven is such a wonderful place,
            Full of people with love and grace
            Angels stand by the gate of God,
            And on streets of gold they trod.

I was probably seven.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

@anne-of-lothlorien Aw, that’s a great poem!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

@anne-of-lothlorien I feel ashamed that I’m not very well read on poetry. I have a few recommendations though. Two of my favorite poems are 1. Recessional: a victorian ode, and 2. Excelsior. I also like that one by Frost that I can’t remember the name to, but I think it it’s something like “riding through the woods on a snowy evening.” I also like whatever his name was that wrote “the raggedy man”. I like his casual style. Chesterton is good too. And Tolkien.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Jess
                @jess
                  • Total Posts: 575

@anne-of-lothlorien *rubs hands together* Yes, yes. Poets, poems, and poetry. I’ve been writing poetry off and on since I was seven or eight (truly horrible stuff,) but I think I have more than a few suggestions for you. 🙂

If you like lighthearted stuff, read Ogden Nash and Edgar A. Guest (not to be confused with Edgar A. Poe.)
                  Robert Frost does have some really great poems, including Fire and Ice.

And individual poems:
                  Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carrol
                  Caged Bird, by Maya Angelou
                  Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, by Dylan Thomas (good example of a villanelle)
                  I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud (Daffodils,) by William Wordsworth
                  If, by Rudyard Kipling
                  Ode to a Nightingale, by John Keats (requires a few rereads)
                  Dreams, by Langston Hughes

Read both free verse poems and form based poems. I would suggest writing both. Most people are better at one than the other, as a general rule. There are a lot of different forms, and some are kinda structured as stories, like epics and tritinas/sestinas. Basically, experiment and be descriptive. 😛

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@Anne-of-Lothlorien Oh yes, Edgar Guest is good, for nice solid, family stuff. I love it. And Tolkien’s amazing for the epic gorgeous visual fantasy stuff. This is my favorite of his, though I’d not suggest tackling something like that at first. 😛 Rather complicated and long. BUT IT’S GOOD.
                    Aaand I don’t write poetry so I have no tips there. This is the best tip: nothing cheesy. Good one, isn’t it? XD

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                    Northerner
                    @northerner
                      • Total Posts: 244

@Anne-of-Lothlorien Tolkien’s Mythopoeia, Amy Lowell’s Sword Blade and Poppy Seeds

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 3976

@Anne-of-Lothlorien everything that’s already been said… also I like this one because I’m morbid I guess… ;P
                        This one too, though it’s pretty long.

Anne of Lothlorien
                        @anne-of-lothlorien

Thank you @aratrea @jess @daeus @emma-flournoy @kate-flournoy @other ones I forgot.

I read To A Mouse, The Lady of Shallott, The Wreck of the Hesperaus, the Highwayman… the ones I could get easily. The more obscure ones I’ll find soon.

Snapper
                          @dragon-snapper
                            • Total Posts: 3515

@anne-of-lothlorien You should read some poems by Longfellow.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 1352

@Anne-of-Lothlorien At your service. *bows*
                              (*bounces on toes* And I provided the link to my obscure one, so…that won’t be hard. 😉 You should read it. )

Emily D
                              @emily-d
                                • Total Posts: 168

@Anne-of-Lothlorien Poetry recommendations…well, two of my absolute favourites are by Emily Dickinson-the first one is called Hope and the second one is a book poem (yeah, kind of odd, but she never named it, so it’s kind of known as “The Book Poem.” Creative, I know, but there it is.) Another one is Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley (very well known, but it’s an awesome poem. Great imagery!). There are also many wonderful Australian poems, including Bell Birds by Henry Kendall, Clancy of the Overflow and, of course, the famous The Man From Snowy River, both by Banjo Patterson. Okay, that is a kind of random selection…hopefully you will like at least one of those! 🙂

I tell my story. Not so that I get glory, but so that others may know Hope.

Widdrim
                                @widdrim
                                  • Total Posts: 16

@Anne-of-Lothlorien

If you’re interested in “modern poetry,” aka free verse, at all, there’s a huge list!

Scott Cairns’ “On Slow Learning” is funny, as is Billy Collins. If more serious or obviously contemplative is more your style, any of Mary Karr’s “Descending Theology” poems are good, but “The Garden” and “The Crucifixion” especially. “In the Ghost House Acquainted” by Kevin Goodan is also high on my list, and it’s really pastoral so it feels a lot like Romantic poets like Tennyson if that’s your style!! 🙂

And exactly what @jess said. Read a lot of all sorts of poetry and use lots of interesting diction and description!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >