Rachelle's Digital Art

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Art Rachelle's Digital Art

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Rachelle
    @rachelle
      • Total Posts: 63

Hi guys!

So, first I just wanna say that I was really glad to see that Kingdom Pen has a board for art topics. =D I enjoy both writing and art, and much of my writing inspiration actually comes from my art and visa versa. They both link to story and I love them both, so I’m just gonna share some here with you guys.

Lemme know of anything you think could be improved!

Sarah Hoven
      @sarah-h
        • Total Posts: 669

@Rachelle Hi, Rachelle! It’s neat that you do both writing and art. 🙂 I’m not an artist myself, but my brother is. How does digital art work? Your picture reminds me of an animation that I just watched this morning; here is the link to it.

The Word of the Cross

I had never seen digital art like that before; it’s kind of cool how much symbolism you can put into it. It’s awesome that God has given you such a wonderful talent. As for advice, I don’t really see any specific details that need to be changed, but I do have a suggestion about the overall theme/ feel of the picture. I’m sure you didn’t mean to convey this, but it has a very dark and seductive feel to it. Darkness is real, and it’s not necessarily wrong to portray that, but as Christians, I think it’s also really important to show the light, and its power over the darkness. One digital artist I really admire, Chris Powers, does an amazing job of showing both the darkness and the light’s power over it. He’s the one who did the animation in the link above. Have you seen his work? What do you think of it?

Ethryndal
        @ethryndal
          • Total Posts: 1013

@Rachelle Oh look at that, you found the art topic. 🙂

Okay. So I would have to agree with @Sarah-H about the tone of the picture. It feels pretty dark, and while I’m not totally against dark pictures (we have to draw our villains sometimes, right? 😉 ), I don’t think the darkness should be a focusing point. I don’t know the character here or what you’re trying to convey in the picture, so I can’t really give advice on how to alleviate some of the heaviness, but I do suggest thinking about it and experimenting.

But that’s pretty cool you made that digitally! *lowers voice for confession* I didn’t really know what digital art was, except it was made on the computer. This is one of the neatest revelations of my artistic life. 🙂

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

I’m going to agree with @Sarah-H and @Ethryndal on the tone of the picture, but you did do an excellent job with the composition and balancing the colors. Good work also with the character’s reflection. Those are not easy! 😛

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 1352

I can’t see the picture properly because the monitor on this laptop is doing funky things to the screen, but I can see enough to agree with the others. It does look well done though, and *shudder* I’m purty sure I couldn’t do something like that!

Ethryndal
              @ethryndal

@rachelle Oh yes, what Kate said. I didn’t actually notice the reflection at first, but I took another look and there it is. Beautiful. As most well done reflections are. I’m also kind of interested in what the music notes in the background represent. They’re intriguing, which I think is good.

And can I just say you did an excellent job on the hands? *groans* Hands are the fatal flaw of my artwork… 🙂

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Rachelle
                @rachelle

@sarah-h
                  Thank you! Digital art is pretty much like painting/drawing except that all the tools are in a digital program that you can use from a computer or tablet of some kind. It has layers and stuff that make the actual process easier.
                  Oooh, that looks really cool and I’ll check it out when I’m at a place with a little better internet connection. =P

Ah, yes… The theme and dark feel. I see by yours and other comments that I might should have not posted this particular piece as the very first one. XD
                  This is an RPG character who has a Siren-like mind control power (hence the music notes) that is depicted as dark and kind of villainous. This picture was mainly just meant to be a character shot of her, and I used it for some lighting and blending practice as well. But I definitely understand what you mean about the dark feel, so I’ll definitely put some thought into it for my next ones. Thank you! =D

@ethryndal

Thanks! Yes, as the villainous side to this character, this particular piece was meant to look ominous, but I do see how that can be pretty heavy. I shall put some consideration into how to incorporate more hope/light in the future. Thank you!

Digital art gives me so much more room to create than traditional art, so I love it! =D
                  And yes, hands are hard! Had to use a reference photo to get the proportions right.

@kate-flournoy

Thank you! =D This was very much a piece that used for lighting practice, and it’s one of the first times I’ve attempted a reflection, so I’m glad you think it looks well done!

@emma-flournoy

Thanks! Yeah, it looks more complicated than it was, I think. =P Digital layering makes this kind of thing so much easier.

@Everyone
                  Thank you all for your imput! I hope this picture isn’t too dark feeling to be on here or anything… =o I really just didn’t think about it when I posted it. =P
                  This is a growing RPG character who sort of has two sides, one of which she is fighting against (the scary siren side, if you didn’t guess. =P) This is definitely meant to depict her villainous foe that she must overcome, but I can see how lack of context or the rest of the story can make this one feel extra dark all on it’s own.

Again, thank you all for the input! Makes me think.

Rachelle
                  @rachelle

On that note, another random art piece that is pretty much meant for its lighthearted feel. =P

Random comic

Daeus
                    @daeus
                      • Total Posts: 4238

Ha! I love the Japenese expression in the last one.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal

@Rachelle Yeah, I figured it was probably meant to be villainous. And speaking for myself and how I draw my villains, I sometimes get carried away in the realism of my subject and forget to not make it creepy. I’m thinking of the mechanics of the thing; others are feeling the tone. So yeah. 🙂

Aww, that is so adorable! His little FACE! Excuse me while I melt into insane grinning…

Rachelle
                        @rachelle

@daeus
                          Thank you! This is a similar style to my comics, so they’re not exactly in classic comic style. =P

@ethryndal

Yes, I can see now how that’s definitely something to look out for. I’ve never given a whole lot of thought to the tone of my drawings (I tend to focus more on just the technical mechanics of the process. =P) so this has been very eye-opening and inspiring for me. Thanks!

And I’m glad you like that one! =D One of my favorite things to draw is baby-like chibis. =P

Here’s a painting I did for my Grandma that’s more in line with the light/hope feel I want to go for. =D
                          Shepherds

Ethryndal
                          @ethryndal

@rachelle *spits out drink* IT’S SO BEAUTIFUL! I love the hope it inspires! That’s the neat thing about art (and really, writing as well), how you can invoke such emotion in your viewers.

Also, you have a really good grasp of lighting. 🙂 Good job on that.

Oh, and I totally understand about the whole “technical mechanics” thing, because I’m that kind of person myself. I tend to focus on the little details, not the big picture. 🙂

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper
                              • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal Hah, are you a perfectionist too? Whenever I try sketching, I always hop straight to the details.

@rachelle
                              … *Mission Impossible themesong plays in the background as I look at your beautiful picture*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ethryndal
                              @ethryndal

@Dragon-Snapper Ha! Yeah, my sketches always end up turning into something gloriously detailed also. Funny thing is, I’m only a perfectionist when it comes to my art or my drawing. Folding dishcloths? Eh, who cares about them… 🙂

Snapper
                                @dragon-snapper
                                  • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal Poor dishcloths. I’ve tried doing less detailed drawings, and they always end up looking terrible. 😛 However, I am a perfectionist in everything else. The birthday ribbons need to be in a perfect pattern. Library books also must be in perfect order, organized. My music playlists are all organized alphabetically… (I have nearly a hundred something of those). I organize things for fun, multiple times a week. If I’m bored, I organize. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >