Quick Survey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Howdy folks,

I’ve got a question for you. You see, I’m thinking through ideas for incentivisers. You’ve probably heard of the sound concept of incentivising people to join your email list through a free book offer. Yeah, well, I plan to do that, but I’ve got something else I want to incentivize and I obviously can’t give away use the same book for both incentives.

I have two ideas so far. Either I could use the audiobook version of my book as an incentive or I could create my own ebook reprint of a public domain classic I enjoy and make that my incentive — or maybe even a collection of three classics. So let’s say you just read my book and thought it was great, which incentive would motivate you more? Would you want the audiobook version of a book you’ve already read? Woudl the classic motivate you? I would also love it if you had other ideas for incentives, but they would have to be digital incentives because I don’t want it to cost anything. Oh, yeah. What about a computer background image thingy if it were designed after the book’s cover (and you liked the book’s cover)?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Christine Eaton
      @christi-eaton
        • Total Posts: 306

@daeus, I’m a sucker for audio dramas and audiobooks (As long as it is read well) so I would definitely go that route. Also with audiobooks, people like my brother who have bad dyslexia can enjoy the story too.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Good ol’ marketing… 😛

Personally @Daeus, if I had just read your book and loved it, I would want more of the same, not some different author. Setting aside the fact that I personally can’t listen to audiobooks, I think an audiobook would be a great idea. Though I love classics, I would be more incentivized to join your email list if it was something only you could give me.

The digital wall-paper is also a great idea.
          I haven’t spent much time brainstorming reader incentives… most of my brainstorming lately has been focused on what kind of material writers want because I’m going to be setting up a blog soon… a terrifying thought, but I daresay I’ll make due. 😉 Anyway. If I think of anything else readers love that can be transmitted digitally, I’ll pop in and let you know.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@Daeus I’d go more for the classic, I think.

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy

Um whoops, reading Kate’s post just now, it hit me you meant if I’d already read your book. 😛 (I saw that in your post but forgot.) So if I’d read your book and loved it, I’d probably want more from you.

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

Maybe printable bookmarks???

Daeus
                @daeus

@kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy Ok, I guess I didn’t make this clear. In this situation, I’m already giving away a book of mine for something else, so if I want to incentivise people for both actions, giving away the same book isn’t an option. I could write a third book, but that’s very impractical.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
                  @daeus

Bookmarks aren’t a bad idea, but digital readers don’t need them.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

Not quite sure I understood your clarification @Daeus

Daeus
                        @daeus

@kate-flournoy Okey dokey. So I want to incentivize two actions. Action 1 is already being incentivized by a book of mine. I’m already decided on that. The question is about action 2. I don’t want to reuse that same free offer since then if a reader completed action 1 and got the book, why would they complete action 2?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
                          @sarah-h
                            • Total Posts: 669

@daeus I would go for the audio book if it was well dramatized. My eyes tire quickly, and it’s rare to find a book I really like on audio. I also have a friend who likes audio books because she has a long drive to work every day, and I’m sure she’s not the only person like that.

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@Daeus okay… I think I see. My other answer still stands, but you’re right, I would be less excited about an audiobook I’d already read, in which case the classic would motivate me about the same.

And that’s true. Digital readers don’t really need bookmarks do they… 😛 That was not very well thought out.

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

Oh and hey, on the note of email-lists, I bought an ebook a while back from a lady whose name is Rachel Starr Thomson— as soon as I bought the book I was automatically added to her email list, and though the book was nothing spectacular it was almost worth it to observe how well she managed her email marketing. I mean, several times she almost had me buying another book from her even though I didn’t really enjoy my first experience, and I don’t buy books unless I’m positive they’re worth it. The emails were not just marketing— she did an awesome job of getting personal and encouraging and sharing stories about herself that shaped her work. She connected deeply with the readers. She sold herself. Sometimes she just sent out emails that weren’t marketing at all— just a word of encouragement.
                                So if you want a chance to observe an email list done right, sign up for hers. 😛

Emma Flournoy
                                @emma-flournoy

@Daeus Well, if the incentive directly related to your work would be an audio of the same book I’d read from you, and not another work of yours or something different but having to do with your book, I’d probably stick to what I first said. The classic would motivate me more (well, obviously depending on what it was. 😛 But most classics to me are pretty appealing, at least true classics.).
                                  But if there was another something by you—the author whose book I loved—and not just a different form of that book, I think I’d want that more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >