Question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @joy
      • Total Posts: 59

I recently started writing again, and I showed the work to my mum and my teacher at school. They both told me my writing is too ‘samey’ and predictable, and that I needed to think ‘outside the box’ and write new things. My favourite genre has always been historical romance; it’s what I’m most comfortable with. I know they’re both trying to help, but ever since then my writing’s felt ridiculous and inadequate. Now all I can think of is what I’m doing wrong, but I don’t know how to change. Am I being silly for feeling hurt? Why is it so hard for me to write something different? How do I go ‘outside the box’?

Tagging anyone who wants to reply xx

*whispers aggressively* "The HONOUR!"

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@joy you’re not being silly for feeling hurt. But you are being silly if you let it stop you.
        I don’t think any of us will ever entirely escape that kind of hurt, and if we all stopped because where we are right now isn’t where we wish we were, no one would ever write anything.
        So. Don’t stop. Criticism always hurts, but you can learn from it and use it to move forward.

As for ways you can learn to think outside the box… the top suggestion that’s coming to mind is try new things. Read ‘weird’ books— speculative fiction; stuff you’re not used to. Write ‘weird’ things— explore new options. Turn the world on its head and shake it and see what falls out of its pockets. Study. Observe. What stories are timeless? Why? Of the weird books, which ones most made you think? Why? Which were new in a good way, and which were simply too weird for words? What makes something ‘old’ beautiful seen in a new light?
        Don’t confine yourself to the one genre you’re comfortable with. You can return to that genre, of course, but when you do, you can use everything you learned from the other genres to give you a new perspective on old concepts. Never write something because it’s the only thing you’re comfortable with. Besides, if you’re comfortable with it, chances are you don’t understand it as fully as you might.

And… and… *shuts mouth with a snap* Yeah. Kinda just a spur of the moment thought-dump there. 😛 Is that helpful at all?

TheAcornman
        @theacornman
          • Total Posts: 125

@joy Maybe you should try to write in a different genre. You may be surprised by the new insights writing in a different genre can give. I personally found this helpful. I usually write fantasy but sci-fi has helped me to find my voice. Which I am now using to write in fantasy.

Most importantly don’t stop writing just because you have reached a hurdle. Writing is hard and the only way to get better is to write. Even when you do not feel like it. Maybe God is trying to tell you something through your mum and your teacher.

That one English guy.

Rolena Hatfield
          @rolena-hatfield
            • Total Posts: 405

@joy Isn’t it so nice to have other writers to relate too?! I’ve definitely been in your position many times.
            A bit of the same encouragement Kate and the Acorn Man gave you… Don’t give up! I know it’s hard not to find criticism discouraging, but it’s actually just a stepping stone in your writing journey. (But don’t feel silly for feeling hurt, writing does hurt at times)
            But the fact that you were brave enough to show your story to your mum and teacher is fantastic! If no one tells us how to make our stories better how will they ever get better?!
            What Kate and the Acorn Man said about trying a different genre is good.
            Also, you don’t have to give up on historical romance or the story you wrote. Sometimes stories need to be polished and changed a few times over before they really shine.
            One thing I’ve done when someone told me to think outside the box with one of my stories is to go back over the plot and throw something really unexpected in.
            What’s one thing that never usually happens in historical romance books?

There’s a couple other things I’ve done to get outside of the box, but I don’t have the time to share right now. But if you’re still looking for some ideas to get past this, feel free to reach out to me. 🙂
            Keep writing girl!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@joy First of all, I’m going to say something unusual.

If you can give up on writing, do so. Fiction writing is literally the worst type of work ever. Only an idiot would be a writer. Now, if you’re reading this and going, “Noooooo! Don’t say that. *tears* I can’t stop!” — if that’s the case, then please, please, please keep writing. If I can’t make you stop writing, then you’ve probably been given the burden to write, so don’t give up!

In situations like these, I find it best to ask questions before I answer them. So…

.What specifically did your mom and teacher find predictable about your writing?
              .Why do you love your story? Particularly, what fascinates you about your characters?
              .What are the three biggest obstacles preventing your characters getting married?
              .What main lessons do your characters learn through the course of the story?

I would also repeat what Kate said about reading in different genres. I think that is one of the most important disciplines of a great writer. It helps you look at things from different angles and be more imaginative. One book you might start off with is a historical romance with a twist of fantasy called Shades of Milk and Honey. I haven’t read it myself, but we have a review of it on the site: https://kingdompen.org/kp-book-review-shades-of-milk-and-honey/

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Joy
              @joy

@Daeus

1. Both my mum and my teacher said I tended to use the same expressions and the same themes in my stories. I had begun to notice that I repeated some of the same expressions, but since I had never really thought about theme before, I never realised it until they said.

2. I love the “old days” and, as ridiculous as this might sound, I like romance in the old days. Everything was so different to what it is right now. What I love most is two people overcoming hardships and growing in character to find happiness together.

3. At this moment, station, misconceptions, and themselves.

4. Not to judge by appearances or past experiences.

I have thought of writing in other genres. Fantasy has been on my mind for the past year now and I keep having ideas for stories but whenever I come close, I get nervous and end up running away from it. I tend not to do very well with change from status quo in other aspects of my life; it’s just recently that I’ve realised it’s affecting my writing too. Broadening my reading horizons sounds like a good start.

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

@joy Reading more widely should help you with writing stories with different themes.

As for the lessons your characters learn and the obstacles in their way, both of those lists seems good to me. I do, however, think that adding more obstacles could help make your story different. For instance, could there be a competitive suitor? Or maybe the gentleman loses his work can no longer afford to get married??? These aren’t have-tos, they are just considerations.

Also, you might consider what side themes could be part of your story. Finding a beta-reader could also really help you see how you can improve. Keep studying. Writing is all interconnected and the more you learn about any part of writing, the easier it will be for you to fix this problem.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Joy
                  @joy

@Daeus Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >