Pride and Prejudice

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Pride and Prejudice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BlueJay
    @bluejay
      • Total Posts: 1622

@graciekry @his-instrument @jess @clairec @the-happy-bookaholic @dragon-snapper @timothy-young @warrioroftherealm @winter-rose @ingridrd @aysia-serene @adry_grace @daeus @belegteleri @hope @overcomer @vanna @faithdk @kate-flournoy @jadamae @hislittlerose @hannah-krynicki @writefury @hannah-olsen @dbhgodreigns @wordfitlyspoken @hannah-c @spradlin @ivy-rose @rolena-hatfield @anne-swiftblade

Okay. New book. But this time it’s going to be a little bit different than the last books. (I don’t know if this will work) But instead of doing two chapters a week, read the book and comment when you want. Tell us which chapter you’re up to and so on.
      Basically I have started this because I am trying to write a book like Jane Austen (trust me it’s hard) and I’m wondering, what made Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice so Jane Austen-y (I know, not a word) 🙂 Haha. So, start discussing.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.”

A great start and one that caught my attention. I also notice that Jane Austen refrains from using contractions. (I must remember that)

Hannah A. Krynicki
      @hannah-krynicki
        • Total Posts: 81

@bluejay Oh, I wish I could do this one- it’s one of my favorite books! But things are so busy and I’ve been so absent that I’ll have to sit out de jure this time.

BlueJay
        @bluejay

@hannah-krynicki Ohh…that’s a shame. Still you can jump in anytime you want, if you have five minutes spare or something. 🙂

Hannah A. Krynicki
          @hannah-krynicki
            • Total Posts: 81

@bluejay Thank you- I certainly hope I can.

Adry_Grace
            @adry_grace
              • Total Posts: 169

I haven’t been around much lately I’m afraid. *dramatic sigh* But I am back now and more than ready to participate in a conversation about my favorite romance of all time. I have already read this book more times than is generally necessary and so @bluejay thank you for the excuse to read it again.

Writing a novel in Jane Austen’s style though… that is a rather scary task. I applaud you for your efforts. I think a lot of Austen’s style came out of the time she was in, how they talked then. I know that’s no help just as it is, but it’s something important to keep in mind.

Anne of Lothlorien
              @anne-of-lothlorien
                • Total Posts: 440

Pride and Prejudice. I’ve never read the book. But I have to say one thing. They ruined the end of the movie. I liked it just fine, until the very last scene. Seriously? You just had to stick that in there didn’t you? Whoever’s seen this movie knows exactly what I mean. Mom says the older one is better, so I might watch it to redeem my esteem of that movie.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

BlueJay
                @bluejay

@anne-of-lothlorien The BBC version of the movie? Is that the one that was ruined? Or a different one? I know of three versions; one even older than the BBC. The books good though. Different ending to the BBC Pride and Prejudice.
                  Why was it ruined for you?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BlueJay.
                  SleepwalkingMK
                  @sleepwalkingmk
                    • Total Posts: 179

@bluejay Is this a book club sort of thing? Can I just jump in?
                    I love Pride and Prejudice. The book is amazing because Austen uses this story to critique the people and their views of one another. And then her sarcastic commentary adds so much flavor to it. First classic I’ve read that made me actually laugh.

Oooo. Good luck in your efforts 🙂 I would first recommend that you read all of her books you can get a hold of to be more familiar with her style.

@anne-of-lothlorien
                    2005 version, right? I haven’t watched it yet, but I know that that ending was made specifically for the U.S. version -_- The U.K. version left it out. 🙂
                    But please read the book. It’s way better 😀

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Anne of Lothlorien
                    @anne-of-lothlorien

@bluejay @sleepwalkingmk I don’t know which version it is, I just know it’s the one with Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy out on the dock after their wedding. It was just too sick-y romantic for me. Yes, I looked it up and I think it’s the 2005 one. I want to the the U.K. version. My mom has the complete collection of Jane Austin works, so I might read it someday… Someday…

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Adry_Grace
                      @adry_grace

@anne-of-lothlorien I know the movie of which you speak. I was honestly unsure what to make of the ending. lol. But you totally should read Jane Austen’s works. Any of them. They’re all brilliant.

Josiah DeGraaf
                        @aratrea
                          • Total Posts: 717

@bluejay Ahh; this is fantastic. One of my favorite books. Probably don’t have time to join you all in this, but in the context of what makes the book so Austen-esque, I think that that character complexity, moral depth, understated wit, and clever social satire all play into what made Austen such a great author, and what makes Pride and Prejudice so representative of her works. I think the fact that there are five different key marriages in this book also helps, as it allows Austen to explore a lot more marriages than her other books do.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Anne of Lothlorien
                          @anne-of-lothlorien

You guys should see this video Studio C did, Teddy’s Story Joint. It is hilarious, and has Jane Austin in it. A great point too.

Anne of Lothlorien
                            @anne-of-lothlorien

Never mind about the link, it didn’t work. Just google it on youtube, or whatever.

Anne Swiftblade
                              @anne-swiftblade
                                • Total Posts: 84

I love this book! I’ve read it once already and I’m actually going to read it again for a literary analysis class.

I, personally love the BBC Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. I’m not really sure which ones are being discussed at the moment.

Adry_Grace
                                @adry_grace

@anne-swiftblade the one @anne-of-lothlorien and I were talking about was the 2005 version with Kiera Knightley and Matthew Macfayden.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >