Poetry Rythm

Home Forums Poetry Poetry Rythm

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Daeus Daeus 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Emily D
    Emily D
    Participant

Hi All!

So, I was wondering if any of you had any tips on RYTHM. More specifically in poems that don’t rhyme. Big step for me writing non-rhyming poems as I am a rhyme-lover. But I have heard that change must start some time, some place, and what better place to start than Kingdom Pen? So, I hope that some of you will give me some tips to help with my big leap of, uh, non-rhyming poetry rythm. Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Daeus
    Daeus

Hi @emily-d!

Rhythm (aka meter) is a great thing to use even if you also use rhyme. The first thing to do is to learn the basic patterns of meter. You can easily learn about those online. I also recommend the book The Roar On The Other Side to learn poetry.

Five rounds of confetti if you can pick it up in a heartbeat. For me, it was a more gradual process. It’s one thing to understand meter and another to pick it out. I think I understand it well innately, but when I try to be technical about it, it messes my mind up. Now though, after I’ve written quite a few poems, I’m able to pick out better. Just practice a lot. It will really help.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ad