Pencil/ charcoal drawing and shading

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Art Pencil/ charcoal drawing and shading

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    David
    @david
      • Total Posts: 20

This colored pencil drawing was completed several years ago. It’s not perfect, but neither is it a disaster. I hope to uploade a few better colored pencil drawings soon. Although they Lack the definition and boldness of paints, colored pencils are easy, simple, and convenient to use and require little cleanup.

Eden drawing

This is a graphite depiction of a bottlenose dolphin. When shaded properly, graphite can render a three-dimensional appearance. It is one of my favorite mediums to use.

dolphin

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

*Speechless* This is also amazing. Wow David. You really do have a talent. Keep it up. 😀

Ingrid
        @ingridrd
          • Total Posts: 830

@david
          I love the dolphin!!! *shakes head in awe*

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Greta
          @gretald
            • Total Posts: 450

Those are amazing drawings!!! @david

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

Ooh… that dolphin is gorgeous.

I find that when I work with pencils it’s more to sketch out a rough, quick idea than actually finish a polished piece of art, so most of my pencil drawings are pretty messy with a lot of unnecessary lines just marking out where I want things to go if the drawing ever translates into a painting. But the few finished black-and-white graphite drawings I’ve done were loads of fun. 🙂

I love drawing people— there’s just something so fascinating about all the different sizes and shapes and faces.
              What do you most enjoy drawing, @david?

David
              @david

Thanks everyone! I’m glad y’all like the pictures. I could not do any of them without the help of the Lord.

@Kate-Flournoy
                , I most enjoy drawing birds and fish. I have been using the same set of ergosoft pencils for the past six years, and I just got a new set of prismacolors a few weeks ago. I usually draw pictures for thank-you cards, but I occasionally make ordinary pictures.

Hope Ann
                @hope
                  • Total Posts: 1092

I like pencil drawings. I don’t draw too much, but the other day I sat down and drew one of my settings from one of my stories. It wasn’t as impressive as in my mind, but I still enjoyed it. 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Birds and fish, @david? Ugh. *shudders* I cannot draw either of those to save my life. Awesome for you that you enjoy them! 😀

David
                    @david

Birds are beautiful, but the feathers can be a little tedious. Fish are fun because, if they don’t have large scales, they have very little texture and are therefore easy to color. I like all ocean life, and also enjoy drawing whales and dolphins. I have not thought much about drawing seals yet, but I will consider it. I always like depicting living, moving creatures. I have a particular liking for showing regal animals in a way that fully portrays their majesty, though I also like catching them in their humorous everyday moments- like a macaw preening or sprawling across two branches in an attempt to reach a berry. What is your favorite drawing subject?

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

People. Beyond a doubt, people, which is odd, since I have trouble drawing them as well as I can draw some things. But what’s so fun about people is that no two are alike— I love trying to capture their personalities in paint almost as much as I love trying to capture them in words.
                        I do love humor, as well, though I seem to be better at pensive, thoughtful moods, or little sweet moments like a mother singing to her baby, or a father and mother watching their children play. I also love trying to capture light— doing odd things with it; trying new angles or levels of shadow and highlight. I’m better at doing that with paint than I am with pencil or charcoal. 😉

@David

David
                        @david

This is an experiment……

falcon

David
                          @david

Sorry, didn’t work.

@Kate-Flournoy
                            , facial expressions are amazing, but difficult. I am not nearly as good at people as I am at depicting animals. Just tried to post my newest piece- a prismacolor drawing of a peregrine falcon- but it didn’t work. I may try again later.

David
                            @david

falcon again

David
                              @david

Praise God, it finally worked! This depiction of a peregrine falcon is one of my latest colored pencil pieces. I used my brand new set of prismacolors and am very pleased with them. We darkened the picture a little so that it would show up better, and my wonderful siblings worked tirelessly to get it on the forum. i hope you all enjoy it.

Hannah Carmichael
                                @watersnail
                                  • Total Posts: 14

@david oh wow, that’s really cool looking! Great job with the coloring. I really need to practice more with colored pencils, I lean towards markers more. But I really love how this looks. The falcon’s face looks awesome and I really like the sky.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >