"Pen Names" A Good or Bad Move?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions "Pen Names" A Good or Bad Move?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mallory O’Bier
    @overcomer
      • Total Posts: 550

Hey guys,

Any thoughts on pen names? I’ve been wanting to try and get some of my writing published, (here, actually:) but I’m still undecided on the subject of pen names. I have a particular pen name in mind that means something special to me.

What if I want to get some of my writing printed by a publisher one day? Would a pen name discredit me, or be unsaleable? Would there even be a point in today’s era in which no one’s identity can be kept a secret anymore? What if I have to use my real name later on? I’ll be virtually unknown. (Platforms mean everything to publishers these days, or so I’ve been told)

Are pen names a bad idea?

What do you think?

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

There is certainly nothing discreditable about them. What it really comes down to is what do you want to be associated with. I understand the author of fifty shades used a pen name. I think the reason’s obvious. If your main activity is going to be advanced mathematics, you might not want to have the same name associated with children’s books you write. If you’ve heard of Joanna Penn, she uses to names, both her real name. One is Joanna Penn and the other is J.F.Penn. Often women will use initials. I believe they fear discrimination, though whether their worry has any foundation or is just part of the alleged gender wage gap hullaballoo I don’t know.

As far as your platform goes, if your main platform strategy is an email list, those people will still know who you are so you’ll still have most of your following if you switch over names – not all, but most. However, I really see no reason to switch names. If you write nonfiction and fiction, you might use two names, otherwise, I would choose one and stay with it.

Between a pen name and a real name, I would say this. As long as you don’t mind having your real name associated with your books (either for personal safety, personal preference, or to avoid confusion) I would just go with your real name. I mean, can it really get any better?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Well, I guess it all depends on why you want to use a pen name. For the longest time I thought I would be forced to— my last name being, as you see, rather an odd and unpronounceable one. 😉 But when I finally came to a decision, I realized that nothing, absolutely nothing, would compare to seeing my very own real name printed out on the cover of a book. Besides, look at all the other authors with strange names! Tolkien, for one. 😀

Now I wouldn’t use a pen name unless I had to for very valid reasons (I can’t think of any right off the top of my head), but that doesn’t mean you can’t. Mark Twain, for example— his real name was perfectly fine: Samuel Clemens. But he preferred Mark Twain.
          So I guess it’s a question of personal preference, in the end. 🙂

Mallory O’Bier
          @overcomer

Thanks for your thoughts, @kate-flournoy @daeus !

I would just use my name, but I’m a little torn because I really like the pen name. I wonder too if using a pen name would help me to stay humble during my writing career, that is, if anything comes of it.

The one time something of mine was sort of published was incredible. Seeing my name on it was really something. I used to want to make a name for myself, and sometimes I kinda still do, (I see names like Tolkien and Lewis, and think how incredible it would be to be named amongst them! Not that I really think I’ll ever be good enough for that) but I know that as a servant of my King and Lord, I must have loftier ambitions. Why I write must not be for my own glory and gain.

Still, I’m a little afraid of myself. I’m not sure whether it is the glory so much I desire, or the skill of these particular writers, but I don’t want to get caught up in these things. You know what I mean?

I must ask myself whether using my real name or a pen name would give God the most glory. I know I must sound very serious indeed, but whatever I choose, I must stick with it.

Mallory O’Bier
            @overcomer

So, I’ve given it some more thought @kate-flournoy (by the way, I like your name!) and @daeus , and my mind is made up. I’m going with my real name after all. I can give glory to God in all that I do with or without my name on stuff. Maybe I’ll still use the pen name later on in my writing as a character’s name or something. We’ll see! 🙂

Thanks for the advice y’all!

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

It’s a good thing that you think so seriously about stuff like this, Mallory! I admire that, truly. One thing that helps me with this when I struggle over the difference between ‘making a name for myself’ and glorifying God is to remember that this gift isn’t even mine to be proud of. God gave it to me. There’s nothing at all I did to earn or deserve it. He gave it to me so I could share His truth, and ultimately that’s what people should see when they read my work. Not my name, not me, but the God who gave me this gift. The glory goes to Him no matter the name printed on the cover.

Mallory O’Bier
                @overcomer

@kate-flournoy Thanks, that is beautiful, Kate! (And true:) I will remember that.

Rolena Hatfield
                  @rolena-hatfield
                    • Total Posts: 405

Where’s the like button?! What no like button?! Well then I’ll just say… That was well put @kate-flournoy

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

The truth does tend to be beautiful, @Rolena-hatfield and @overcomer. 🙂

Anna Brie
                      @anna-brie
                        • Total Posts: 312

I use a penname Partly because I don’t like using my really name everywhere. Also because it’s not unique and can be misspelled. A I heard a rumour that it’s better to have a lastname in the fisrt half of the alphabet. Probably not true now, maybe never was, but it still influenced me.

Mallory O’Bier
                        @overcomer

@anna-brie , I have a last name that’s kinda unique, but is (with very few exceptions) always misspelled! Still, I decided to go with it anyway:)

Daeus
                          @daeus
                            • Total Posts: 4238

Hey now, if you can’t become a successful author with an O’…” name, nobody can.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Mallory O’Bier
                            @overcomer

Thanks, @daeus . I’ll give it my best shot! 🙂

BlueJay
                              @bluejay
                                • Total Posts: 1622

@kate-flournoy If you’re interested, Mark Twain was first a printer but became a river pilot instead. This experience stimulated him to write Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. The name Mark Twain, which he first used as a newspaperman, came from his riverboat days. Mark twain means two fathoms, a measure of depth of water. (Twain meaning two and Mark being a, well…a mark! 🙂 ) So that is how he got his “pen name.”

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

Haha yes @bluejay, believe it or not I knew that! So fun! 😀

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >