OYAN considerations

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions OYAN considerations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1486

Hi guys!
      So I’m considering the One Year Novel Adventure program for my last year in highschool. I’m hesitant to do it, though, because…
      1. It costs a lot of money
      2. I’ve already learned stuff about writing a story (not that I know it all. By far.) and I don’t want to take the course if I’m just going to relearn a lot.
      3. I’m not going to have a whole bunch of time between college classes.
      If you have taken the program, what is your favorite part about it?
      What has it helped you with?
      Pretty much any feedback you give would be helpful.
      Thanks Keepers!
      G.

Anonymous
        Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

No, I haven’t.

@lightningmouse
          You’re an OYANer, aren’t you?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

I’m sorry Gabrielle, I haven’t either. I do think it’s more a program for beginning novelists than anything else, though.

Hope Ann
            @hope
              • Total Posts: 1092

@winter-rose I’ve not taken it, though I have a friend who took it and really liked it. I’ve considered it…not because of the learning aspect (not because I think I know everything, but I do think it is more beginner) but because I really want to go to the OYAN conferences. Those sound so cool!

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 68

@winter-rose i’ve never taken OYAN, but i think it might be fun from what i’ve heard. might be worth it, we’ll see. :3

Jada Morrison
                @jadamae
                  • Total Posts: 199

Sorry, I haven’t done OYAN. But, there was someone around here who had and I think was even teaching it a year in a co-op or something. Amanda @wordfitlyspoken maybe?

Sarah Spradlin
                  @spradlin
                    • Total Posts: 189

Hi, Gabrielle! I have not, but I know that a couple of the other staff members (Haley Long and Reagan Ramm, I think), and they both really enjoyed it. I would track them down and ask though!

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Christine Eaton
                    @christi-eaton
                      • Total Posts: 306

@winter-rose about two years ago I did the One Year Adventure Novel and enjoyed it. Even if you think you know a lot about writing, the OYAN teaches a lot. I learned quite a bit from it even though writing adventure novels isn’t something I plan on really doing. It teaches you how to structure your novel, your storyline, and your character. Even though I, myself didn’t end up writing much of a novel, the videos are something that I highly recommend getting OYAN for, as they are fun, engaging, and really teach you how to write.

Hope this helps 🙂

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Rosey Mucklestone
                      @writefury
                        • Total Posts: 467

@winter-rose *is late* Heya, I’m an OYANer. XD
                        OYAN is really helpful and awesome in more than one way. The curriculum is really cool and I loved watching the lessons. The textbook has example clips from other books to demonstrate its point which is nice. Also The Prisoner of Zenda. One of my favorite books. <3
                        And honestly, one of the best parts is the community. The forum, for one, is huge and really cool. (A tad easier to navigate than this one) The people are awesome. And I recently attended my first Summer Workshop which was extremely awesome and inspiring. (I’d recommend the curriculum on just the conference alone, prob’ly. It’s REALLY good.)
                        So, yes.
                        My recommendation is yes. XD

Hannah Olsen
                        @hannah-olsen
                          • Total Posts: 32

I have a lot of friends who are OYANers, but I personally havent done OYAN. I am interested though. 🙂 I’ve heard its amazingly helpful!

Anonymous

Thank you all for your answers! I appreciate it very much, Though I’ve decided not to take the course as I will be swamped with school work :(.
                            Thanks again! You guys are beyond awesome.
                            G

Ingrid
                            @ingridrd
                              • Total Posts: 830

@winter-rose
                              So sorry this is so late. I wish I could be helpful, but…no. I have never tried OYAN but would love to in the future. *gets dreamy, faraway look in eyes* Someday…

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Jess
                              @jess
                                • Total Posts: 575

Okay, I’m resurrecting this topic because I’ve been looking into it for next year. I know there are a few more people on the forum now who are/have taken the OYAN course, so I was wondering what opinions were… My concern is 1. Is it for beginning writers (as in never written a novel before) and not really aimed at people who write regularly? and 2. Are the videos cheesy? Sounds weird, but some of the sample videos seemed a little cheesy…? Any other pros/cons? And if you went to the conference, was it good?

Let me tag some people who I think are OYANers… @jane-maree, @watersnail, @rachelle, @christi-eaton, @writefury, @cloudy, @anyone who is an OYAN person

Cloudy
                                @cloudy
                                  • Total Posts: 99

@jess What is OYAN?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >