Novellas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

Recently, I’ve had a bit of trouble getting back into the swing of writing, but then again, writing is hard. 😛
      Anyway, I had a great idea today, however, the story would probably be pretty short, and I was just wondering if there was anything I should know about writing novellas? How long did it take you to write one? How many chapters? How many words do they run up, generally?

@daeus
      @hope @kate-flournoy @anyone else who knows anything about writing novellas?
      And @hope, how hard is it to publish said novellas once written? How long did it take you for your first?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper You ought to be able to write one in about a month. Less if you’re dedicated. My novella was ten chapters and 20,000-22,000 words — I can’t remember exactly.

Once you have your document totally ready, you can seriously publish it in like an hour. If you want to do a paperback too, that’s a bit more work, but it’s not too bad.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

@dragon-snapper A novella is generally 20,000-35,000 words. Mine end up in the 30,000s, generally. 😉 You could easily get one done in a month. I wrote one in a week once… it was a bit crazy, but I got it done. And chapters depend. Mine average around 10-15.

I’ve heard it’s hard to traditionally publish a novella, but it’s pretty quick to self-publish one. Like Daeus said, once editing is done and you have your cover and everything you can publish at an ebook in an hour or so.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@daeus What are the risks of publishing paperbacks and how does that work?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@dragons-snapper It depends on what route you take. You can order a bulk amount of books, and you’ll be able to earn a high profit selling those, but you have to know you can sell that many hundred or thousand, or you’ll have lost money.

The other route is print on demand. Companies like CreateSpace will print a copy of your book whenever someone orders it and ship it to them. This has ZERO risk, but you earn a little less. You also have to know how to format a paperback and its cover unless you want to hires someone to do that for you.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anne of Lothlorien
              @anne-of-lothlorien
                • Total Posts: 440

I wrote a novella in two months because it was sort of a back-burner thing. It was thirteen chapters and around 24,000 words. My advice is if don’t treat it like it’s not a novel. Don’t say, ‘Oh, I don’t have to write as much today as I would if I were doing a novel, cause it’s shorter’. Just write with all you’ve got, and maybe you can do it in a week like Hope did.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Shaina
                @jenali
                  • Total Posts: 142

@dragon-snapper Ah novellas. I love ’em. Yes yes and yes to what everyone else just said.
                  My novellas each took two to three months to write, but I was not as dedicated to writing every day. One of them had nine chapters and the other had fourteen.

The greatest part of a novella is you get to explore things that you don’t have room for in a short story, but you aren’t swamped with a full length novel. Good luck with your story!

The Scattered Writer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >