Novel Excerpt (Feedback Welcome)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Novel Excerpt (Feedback Welcome)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 241 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @that_writer_girl_99
      • Total Posts: 1819

It’s like trying to drink from a firehose @northerner

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Northerner @That_Writer_Girl_99 yes… I get excited and then it’s full speed ahead, which is rather inconsiderate of me. 😛 Glad it’s been useful though. 😉

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1486
          Elizabeth
          @that_writer_girl_99

Here’s the thing @winter-rose –I’m stuck, but not on the plot. I have ideas. I know where I want the story to go. I just don’t know how to get there.
            In the past, whenever I would get bored with a story, I’d just skip to the action, help preserve my interest. I can’t do that here, obviously, and I’m bored of just siting around, staring at my computer screen, hating my most recent chapters…

I need to brainstorm little ways to fill space until the big stuff happens. The first plot point and all that.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Elizabeth.

Anonymous

@that_writer_girl_99 Ok so you need to find the first plot point or the stuff before the first plot point?

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99

The stuff before the first plot point. I think.

Erm, you’ve read Prison, right? If so, do you think Tam being taken is a decent enough Inciting Event? Or should I do something more drastic? @winter-rose

Anonymous

*Reaches back in her mind for stuff about the inciting event* If the thing with Tam leads up to the Key event then I think it’s good inciting event and doesn’t need to be too big.
                  Well wait a moment. It might be a bit early for the inciting event. Hmmm. The inciting event is your character’s exit from the normal world, and the key event is their entrance into the new adventure world. What’s your key event?

Anonymous
                    Elizabeth
                    @that_writer_girl_99

*slaps forehead* Duh, Elizabeth…

Okay. I’m making note of this for future reference. I think I definitely checked off my Inciting Event too early. Which, although it’s annoying, kinda brings everything else into clearer focus…

Can’t write about stuff that hasn’t happened yet, right?

Elizabeth
                      @that_writer_girl_99

Funnily enough, that doesn’t really change what I was planning on doing in future chapters. It just makes more sense now. @winter-rose

Anonymous

@That_writer_girl_99 Oh ok. 🙂 So what do you need help again? You seem like you’ve got a good start going.

Also, what’s your key event?

Elizabeth
                          @that_writer_girl_99

Key event? What’s that? @winter-rose

Anonymous

The Key event is after the Inciting event, and is basically your protagonists entrance into the adventure world. Leme see if I can think of an example….It happens at the 10-15% range of your book. Actually, here’s a nice chart thing if it will show up:

Anonymous

@that_Writer_girl_99 And I keep forgetting to tag you.

Elizabeth
                                @that_writer_girl_99

Haha, I was stalking K.M Weiland’s website the other day and actually copied this into my photos.

This makes so much more sense. I’ve never tried writing something so structured before, so I’m bound to make mistakes…ugh.

@winter-rose

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 241 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >