New here

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE New here

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@ariel-ashira There are thirteen of us so far… 🙂

@filewriterbase13x
      That’s a good explanation of sci-fi, but I’d like to clarify that good sci-fi in the original form dealt mostly with assumed scientific facts, rather than purely fictional facts.  If the “facts” are purely fictional with no basis in science as we know it, the work can become a fantasy story rather than a science fiction story.

Of course, there are many semi-genres underneath the overreaching genre of sci-fi, which can include the pure invention of scientific facts for a new universe, but that is limited to a few kinds of things which I don’t think I’m qualified to explain.  If the author does not limit the fictional facts correctly to those related to science the story will usually become an overlapping of sci-fi and fantasy, or a fully fantasy book.

Actually…let me back up and say that @supermonkey42 has an article on his blog which he wrote on this subject, and he’s actually researched all of this stuff while I’m just saying what I think.  So Ben, why don’t you come over here and either give the link to your blog or explain better how to differentiate between sci-fi and fantasy? 😉

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Ben Powell
      @supermonkey42
        • Total Posts: 273

@filewriterbase13x @rochellaine I’ll try to be concise… 😉

Pure sci-fi relies on realistic science, and while the inventions or technologies in the story may not be real, they could probably be invented using the substances and scientific laws known on earth. Also, pure sci-fi does not feature supernatural elements.

Fantasy oftentimes takes place in a completely different world and may feature fictional creatures, races, and supernatural forces, none of which are assumed to be “real” or “scientific”… basically, the stuff in a fantasy book could never happen in our world.

Here’s the tricky part: Some ‘sci-fi,’ such as Star Wars or Star Trek, is actually a combination of sci-fi and fantasy, which we will call ‘science fantasy.’ (There are multiple names for this.) For example, in Star Wars there are elements of sci-fi (space travel, holograms, laser weapons, etc.) that are all plausible, but there are also many impossible technologies (hyperspace, lightsabers, etc.). The use of the Force also distinguishes Star Wars from true sci-fi because it is a supernatural element. Stories such as this make completely impossible and fantastical elements appear to be science. These stories are often labeled as science fiction, but, truly, are somewhere between it and fantasy.

Here’s the concise summary:

• Sci-fi features a world where possible technologies are made common.
        • Fantasy is made of impossible, otherworldly things.
        • Blendings of the two (science fantasy) features impossible things that are made to appear scientific, even if they are completely fantastical.

Okay, that’s got kinda long, but I hope it helps! Here is the blog post I wrote on almost this same subject.

A Kapeefer for life!
        Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@filewriterbase13x Welcome! I’m homeschooled too and LOOOOOVE chocolate! 😉 I used to collect a lot of Legos, and I have a whole town set up on my bedroom dresser 😀

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

Catwing
          @catwing
            • Total Posts: 2557

@filewriterbase13x I haven’t welcomed you yet so, WELCOME! *throws feathers* *throws chocolates*
            I am Catwing! *purs* Glad to meet you.
            Nice assistant. (Though for your signature you say, ‘Personal AI Assistant’ Shouldn’t you say ‘Personal Artificial Intelligent Assistant’ ??? 🙂 It doesn’t matter really, it doesn’t.)
            Welcome to the Kingdom of Pen1

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Catwing.

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

filewriter@base13x
            @filewriterbase13x
              • Total Posts: 110

@rochellaine and @supermonkey42, thank you! That does help clarify.

Currently writing the Hostanica Files with the assistance of B-bot, my PAIA (Personal AI Assistant.)

filewriter@base13x
              @filewriterbase13x

@jenwriter17, hi! Thank you. Once me and my best friend set up a Lego town too with my Legos. We used the small 1 x 1 flat round pieces as currency. Green was the lowest in value because they were the most common. That was really fun.

Currently writing the Hostanica Files with the assistance of B-bot, my PAIA (Personal AI Assistant.)

filewriter@base13x
                @filewriterbase13x

@catwing. Thank you. To the feathers I say, “Ooh, pretty.” To the chocolate I say, “Ooh, yum. Wait, ouch, ouch.” Haha. Thanks. I tried saying Personal Artificial Intelligence Assistant, but it only came out (Personal Artificial Int) So, I think it was too long. I just decided to shorten it. Thanks for your greeting!

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17
                    • Total Posts: 2522

@filewriterbase13x yeah, that sounds like fun! 😀 miniature things make me happy.

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                    www.jennaterese.com

Catwing
                    @catwing

@filewriterbase13x You are welcome. The feathers are from my endless collection. :3
                      That is a bit of a tongue twister. *nods*
                      Wait. Why, ouch, to chocolate? Are you allergic?! Oh, no, not again! I got something else wrong… First I forget people don’t like bugs, now choclate?! *flips rapidly through A Catwing Ambassador’s Guide to Humans*

filewriter@base13x
                      @filewriterbase13x

@catwing, No! *is mad at self for making a catwing believe that she was allergic to chocolate* I am not allergic to chocolate. It’s just that chocolate can be painful when it is being thrown at you. But no worries, they were delicious. 🙂

Catwing
                        @catwing

@filewriterbase13x Ooooooh… Well, good then. *grins*

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >