NaNoWriMo 2017

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @joy
      • Total Posts: 59

So I kind of want to do NaNoWriMo this year; it’s my first time and I’m a little – well, very – nervous. Is anyone else doing it? Do you have any tips? I’d really like a check-in group or accountability partner, someone to bounce ideas off and keep me on track, if that’s possible…

Tagging anyone who wants to reply xx

*whispers aggressively* "The HONOUR!"

Tatiana
      @belegteleri
        • Total Posts: 97

@joy I’M DOING IT! I’m really excited to try it again this year, because it’s never… really worked out for me in past years 😛

I’m a reforming pantster, so I don’t really have any tips except get started on your plotting early XD

What genre is your novel and what will it be about?

Joy
        @joy
          • Total Posts: 59

@Tatiana Hi! My novel’s genre is fantasy and it’s about this world in which there are four other races beside man. A great war happened, with some of the races siding with Men and the other two on their own. Now, the war has been over for nearly a year, and there’s an uneasy peace – until a powerful human lord is found dead, believed to have been killed by one of the other races.

That’s just the beginning 🙂 I’m torn between doing it in a medieval fantasy world or in something like a Victorian/steampunk/fantasy world.

What’s your novel about?

*whispers aggressively* "The HONOUR!"

Tatiana
          @belegteleri

@joy That sounds so cool! I also love fantasy novels 🙂

My novel is set in a parallel universe and it’s basically about a young female president who discovers that someone in the government uncovered some less-than secrets from the president before her (who happened to be her older brother), which could stain her reputation. She sends one of her personal advisers and his assistant undercover to try and discover who is threatening her. There are going to be lots of fancy dresses and balls and dinners and big houses, so that’s getting me excited 😀

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice
              • Total Posts: 3365

@joy @Tatiana I’m planning on doing NaNo. I’ve done both the camps this year, but I’ve never done the official. both of your stories sound really interesting!! I’m working on a dystopian, which is another thing I’ve never done before.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Louise Fowler
              @perfectfifths
                • Total Posts: 726

@joy I’m doing it! My first time was last year, and I only got to 31,000-something words, but it was a big accomplishment for me! It was how I was able to complete a 17,000-something-word novelette. Your novel sounds really great!

This year my story is sci-fi, which is a new genre for me as well. I’ve been plotting it since late August, and jotting down ideas, but I haven’t yet started the first draft – I’m really excited to do it!

Some tips I have are to try and get to the recommended word count for each day (1,667). NaNo keeps track of your word count as you log it (which I also recommend doing daily), gives an estimated time of completion at your current pace, and a target word count to help you complete by the end of the month. It also logs how many days have passed, and how many are left, and records your average word-count per day based on what you log.

I found it to be great motivation that I haven’t had in the same way since. I’m super competitive, so the fact that it was telling me things like when I would complete the 50,000 words at my current pace, and how many words I have to go, really helped me get my skates on and write each day.

Currently reading Les Miserables

Tatiana
                @belegteleri

@perfectfifths Wow, a sci-fi? That sounds so cool! I would love to try writing a sic-fi someday!

I’m also really competitive, so I’m glad that there is something like a word-count on the NaNo website to keep me motivated 🙂

Louise Fowler
                  @perfectfifths
                    • Total Posts: 726

@belegteleri Yup. I have no idea what I’m doing. XD I think it’s more a sci-fi fantasy, because there is technology, but the characters come across races that (some) are more like fantastical creatures than “traditional” aliens. I don’t know how to explain it. 😛 I’ve wanted to write a sci-fi for a while, just the right idea never came along.

Yeah, the word-goals and estimated finish dates are really helpful to get your competitive juices flowing. 😉 😀

Currently reading Les Miserables

Hannah R.
                    @his-instrument
                      • Total Posts: 229

@joy NaNoWriMo is a great opportunity to make yourself write. It gives you a goal and a concentrates time to write in. I was surprised by what I was capable of last year. I highly recommend it–especially if you take the time to plot your book out ahead of time, which is an excellent exercise.
                      When I first started doing NaNo, I was in middle school, and they had these cool print-outs whee they walked you through plotting your story. I don’t know of they still have something like that for high schoolers and older, but you might want to look for that on their website.

YA Fantasy Writer
                      Obsessive Character Namer
                      Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >