Names with meanings

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Names with meanings

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alia
    @alia
      • Total Posts: 1253

All my characters have names with meanings that fit them. But one girl I’m currently writing, has no name. In fact, she’s had no name for so long that @charisetter has told me that her name is her. Simply because I’ve been calling her that for about four or five months now.

Anyways, this girl is about 20 in a part fantasy part dystopian world. She was sold as a baby, ran away from her owners at nine, and joined a rebellion against the order in charge. She is extremely loyal, she’s a strategist, she is okay bending some morals if its for the greater good. But she does have a line she will not cross. She doesn’t trust easily, nor does sure like very many people. In fact, she doesn’t really trust or like the MC.

So, please help and give me some names with the meanings. And if you make up names, make up a meaning as well. Thanks.

Also, if there is anything else you need to know about her, I’ll try and answer

WIP - Decisions
      Kapeefer til we're old and grey

NC Stokes
      @daughteroftheking
        • Total Posts: 1156

@Alia Ooh, she sounds like an interesting character. So, do your names with meanings mean something in a different language? Or are they actually words, like Hope, Daisy, or Sky?

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Alia
        @alia

@daughteroftheking, so a character in another book is named Mira, which means bitter, and it fits her. And in another its Razili, which means my secret, and it fits her. Basically I want a name that fits her, even if the readers never know what the name means

WIP - Decisions

Gracie
          @graciegirl
            • Total Posts: 889

@alia Evanna, Evin, Caden, Imelda, and Louisa are all names that tie in to “fighter” somehow. 🙂

*is probably geeking out about something*

NC Stokes
            @daughteroftheking
              • Total Posts: 1156

@alia Wow, I like that! I would suggest maybe…
              Entona- strong-minded in Greek
              Nikan- alone/only in Yoruba
              Azi- Today in Romanian. (I have no idea why her name would mean “today,” but it’s kind of a pretty name.)
              Setia- Loyal in Malay.
              All of these I got fiddling around with Google translate, which isn’t always accurate, so you can take it with a grain of salt. (If I had salt to give you. :P)

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice
                • Total Posts: 3365

@alia, I love names with meanings too! Here are a couple that I found using Behind the Name (a really great site to use for finding names)
                Azar–Persian–Fiery
                Keahi–Hawaiian–the fire
                Rue–English–rue is a type of bitter herb
                Merari–Hebrew–bitter (its actually a male name, but I like the sound of it)
                Min–Chinese/Korean–quick, clever, sharp
                Athena–Greek–sharp (Athena is the goddess of wisdom in Greek mythology, but she can be very warlike and maybe rebellious)
                What do you think of these names? I hope you find something!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Alia
                @alia

@daughteroftheking, I really like Nikan and Setia.

@seekjustice
                  ,I definitely like Azar. Sadly I can’t use Athena, that’s my sister’s nickname.

@graciegirl
                  , Caden and Evin are really great.
                  Thank you, hopefully this will help some

WIP - Decisions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >