My Time Travel Book

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests My Time Travel Book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Greetings KeePers,

For those of you who don’t know, I’ve been working on a time-travel novel over the past few months. I wrote it, edited it, got some feedback, and then edited it again.

So this baby’s out of his diapers and ready to walk around. What I’d appreciate is some helping hands to mature this story into something great (aka beat readers).

I threw together a beta-synopsis that explains the story pretty well.

“Trevor Allen is trying to escape the perils of his society, but it isn’t working too well. Just when he thinks he’s about to make it safe, he and his sister get jerked back through the passages of time by a scientist with a mania for world domination. As his luck would go, Trevor finds that the fourteenth-century isn’t exactly his cup of tea, and having to survive it with a sister who’s just a little too optimistic isn’t what he’d call a bonus. Temptations to flee back home keep calling to him louder and louder. On the other hand, a world ruled by an emotionally unstable tyrant isn’t something he enthusiastically supports. This poses a problem. A big problem.”

Here’s what would be involved:
      .The book is about 80,000 words long. That’s a very normal sized novel.
      .The story probably doesn’t need major revisions. There are certainly some things I could use your opinion on, but it shouldn’t be a particularly laborsome book to beta read.
      .I’m particularly looking for people who could beta-read this in a month. I don’t have an absolute deadline, but I’d really like to get this published in September and I’d need to fit in early reviews and copy editing before hand. A month and a half would probably work for me too if you can’t do a month.

I’d also like to offer a critique exchange to one person. I wish I could do more, but my time is really cramped these days. For the first person to take me up on this though, I’ll exchange you a critique for any novel up to 100,000 words (let me know if you have one just slightly over).

Just let me know if you’re on!

I’ll tag a couple people. @graciegirl @winter-rose @jess @brandon-miller @his-instrument @hope @dragon-snapper

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Gracie
      @graciegirl
        • Total Posts: 889

@Daeus Congrats!! I’ve been waiting for you to release it since I read the critique a while back. Time travel is my absolute favorite!
        So…I’d love to be a beta reader, and I think I could get it done in the one month time-frame. However, I’ll pass the critique swap to whoever is next. (If I’m still the first when I actually post this, that is. XD ) All of my material is already being covered critique-wise through other sources. 😀
        Celebratory ice cream: 🍦🍨🍧🍦🍨🍧

*is probably geeking out about something*

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99
          • Total Posts: 1819

I can’t guarantee that I’d be the best person to do this, but I’m certainly interested. @daeus

As for the critique-swap… *gulps* my WIP is nowhere near ready for that.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

DelightInLife
          @delightinlife
            • Total Posts: 124

@daeus That’s awesome! I’m not really interested in beta reading right now, but just wanted to say congrats! 🙂 How long did it take you to write the book?

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

@daeus *headdesk* Come on, Daeus. Stop tempting me.
              *pick me! pick me!*
              Yes. I agree. I will beta-read for you. You already have my email.
              As for the exchange, would you be interested in helping me with my rough draft of my WIP. It’s only half-way done, but I think that if you could help me with even just that, it would be very helpful. It’s 40,000 words. What do you think? I can give you more info if you need.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper

And I would give you my first novel, that is finished, by it is so rough, I think that I would get a lot more out of a critique of my WIP.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Elizabeth
                @that_writer_girl_99
                  • Total Posts: 1819

Also, to clarify, I’d definitely be able to finish it in the monthly time range. I’d offer up my baby WIP if you wanted…

Aaaand, you already have my email. 😊

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper

And also, you can take as long as you want with my WIP if you agree (which I’m hoping you will…as you might have noticed). I don’t need it done by any particular time.
                    *cough*please*cough*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
                    @daeus

@dragon-snapper So it will be around 80,000 words. Yeah, that sounds perfectly doable. Sign me up. 🙂

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper

@daeus Alright. Just clarifying so you know that as of now you will you only get 40,000 words of it. You cool with that? I can give you the second half later, when that’s done.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper

I don’t want to rip you off… 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
                          @northerner
                            • Total Posts: 244

Time-travel, ooh. Too bad the critique exchange isn’t still open. (You come highly recommended, and I have a time-travel novel I’ll want criticism on.)

But anyway, congratulations at getting so far! And if you want someone to be nitpicky over medieval things, to keep you from publishing it with inaccurate details or ways of thinking, I’d love to do it :).

Also, that’s way better back-cover-copy than I came up with for mine. I love how his sister is “too optimistic”.

Daeus
                            @daeus

@dragon-snapper Yes, that’s fine.

@northerner
                              Eh, yeah. I wish I could. 🙁

Medieval details? Seriously? I would actually love that.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Northerner
                              @northerner
                                • Total Posts: 244

@Daeus, it’s fine with me :). My expertise (if any) is three hundred years earlier, but I know a bit about the 14th as well, and should I get stumped, I know people who are authourities. (And we all hate inaccurate historical fiction, so I will try to be harsh and get good quality.)
                                I’d be willing to review it on my blog too, if you like.

Hannah R.
                                @his-instrument
                                  • Total Posts: 229

@daeus I’d love to help, and as school doesn’t pick back up until August 22, now is the perfect time for me to get something done in a month. Your story sounds fascinating!
                                  My WIL is not completed. Its an I it 60,000 words long, but I still would really love some feedback on it, even if you only do the first 20,000 words or so, because I’m so uncertain of it’s quality that I’ve almost ditched it a couple of times and I haven’t gotten any other opinions on it so far.
                                  That said, if you’re not available to read it and someone else is, let me know.

YA Fantasy Writer
                                  Obsessive Character Namer
                                  Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >