My New Fantasy Book Idea and Endeavor

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy My New Fantasy Book Idea and Endeavor

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @that_writer_girl_99
      • Total Posts: 1819

Hi @xonos-darkgrate

Solid story idea. I think this could be really cool. Like @daeus and @kate-flournoy said, though, I think articulating exactly how the magic thing works could be tricky. But from what I’ve seen, it looks like you’re well on your way to solving it.

Everything that needs to be said has pretty much already been said here, so…good luck.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Louise Fowler
      @perfectfifths
        • Total Posts: 726

@xonos-darkgrate

Wow, it sounds like you’ve put a lot of thought into all this. I like how it sounds sort of darker and edgier, but still good (as in good is good and will triumph).

Currently reading Les Miserables

Joseph Darkgrate
        @xonos-darkgrate
          • Total Posts: 162

Thanks guys! Anyways, here’s a link to what I have so far…Google Docs Page

Life's a cruel joke, so you have to laugh at it sometimes.

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@xonos-darkgrate As far as the magic goes, I think it probably needs a bit more fleshing out with details, but as long as the power isn’t actually God’s power, but merely a separate power he created, I think you’re on the right track.

As for romance, it’s really up to you. It could be hard to write it without any experience and you do want to write it well, but tragic romance can be nice sometimes. I think the question is how well it fits with your story.

Finally, I support adding other allegorical elements, only I’m not sure I’d call them allegorical. In an allegory, the connections between real life and the story world are clear like in Pilgrim’s Progress or The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe. Unless the connections are easy to see in your story, I would call them symbolic elements. (It’s possible to have an allegory with elements that are symbolic, but not obviously so.)

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Joseph Darkgrate
            @xonos-darkgrate

Yep, I’m planning on adding a bit more to the origin of the magic in this story, but thanks!

Actually, how about the Holy Spirit? God promised that it would be within us once we became Christian. Do you think that that works?

Joseph Darkgrate
              @xonos-darkgrate

Hm.. I’m not really planning on saying outright that the story is based on Christian life now in the book itself. So I guess it’s more of symbolic elements like you said I guess, @daeus.

Yeah, I think a lot of the things I want to add may depend on whatever else is going in too.

Aislinn Mollisong
                @aislinn-mollisong
                  • Total Posts: 445

@xonos-darkgrate You sneaky-sneak. Now I really want to read it because you sound like Lemony Snickets….

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                  https://forums.theaetherli

Joseph Darkgrate
                  @xonos-darkgrate

Lemony Snicket…
                    I was thinking about his books when I was trying out the first chapter. But anyways, I think he really did go through a tragedy in his life before he wrote those books… Beatrice…

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >