My Christian book idea needs help forming

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques My Christian book idea needs help forming

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Darkgrate
    @xonos-darkgrate
      • Total Posts: 162

Hey guys, before I came to this site, I decided I needed a Christian book idea to work on. Since most of my ideas weren’t actually Christianity themed, that was a little hard at first, but I came up with something.

I thought it’d be a good idea to write a book about John Huss. A story of how he came to be who he was, and ultimately how he came to be burned at the stake. I haven’t done much research at this point, but my main idea is to show his early life and his struggles to bring the Word of God to the people. I plan to make him the protagonist with Inquisitors and the Main Inquisitor as the antagonists. Well, maybe the Church heads will be the antagonists. I’ve always had an interest in what MIGHT have happened and HOW it happened. So I’m imagining a Mission Impossible type theme for the story since it was indeed an impossible mission back then! I think the biggest twist or big ending would be Huss bein burnt to death, and maybe hinting at a sequel? (William Tyndale? Heh, heh…)

I haven’t worked much on anything yet since I don’t have a lot of time, but if you guys have any questions or criticisms please say so! Oh yeah, suggestions are appreciated too. Anyways, thanks guys!

Life's a cruel joke, so you have to laugh at it sometimes.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@xonos-darkgrate That sounds like a great idea. You might want to read the book Trial And Triumph. It’s a novel about John Huss, and I really liked it. I would also highly recommend you read Rora. It’s a real-life story of a Waldensian resistance fighter with added details to bring it to life. It might give you some ideas, especially on how to weave political intrigue into your novel.

Other than that, my only suggestion is to try to focus on subplots. I think they would flesh out a John Huss story well.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah
        @salome01w4g
          • Total Posts: 991

@xonos-darkgrate first off wow! That sounds like a interesting undertaking! I’ve never heard of John Huss before. I think you have a really neat idea. So I do have a question, are you writing non-fiction or fiction mixed with non-fiction?

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Joseph Darkgrate
          @xonos-darkgrate

Hey guys, thanks!

@salome01w4g
            , it’s BASED on real events, but the fun part is filling in the parts where you don’t know exactly what or HOW something happened.

As for the subplots, @daeus, what do you mean? I was planning on having it go on almost like a chase. With people beginning to question their loyalty, more pressure on Huss to translate the Bible, betrayal

YES, I like those betrayal story lines… But I’m not exactly sure if that’s how Huss was caught. Anyways, I think those are my sub plots. I definitely will be adding political intrigue and such.

Daeus
            @daeus

@xonos-darkgrate By sub-plots, I basically mean adding in side characters with their own intertwining stories. I also mean how the main events John Huss experiences affect the many different areas of his life. For instance, you could build a subplot around a book he is writing, or a friendship he has with a small child, or a theological dilemma that’s been puzzling him for a long time.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah
              @salome01w4g

@xonos-darkgrate okay I see. That sounds like a lot of fun! I’m afraid I don’t have much advice other than be careful when filling in the blanks. It would be easy to make it unrealistic, or really unbelievable. 🙂 That sounds lame but that’s all I can think of. 😉

Joseph Darkgrate
                @xonos-darkgrate

@daeus, okay, yeah. I’m not that far into its development yet so I hadn’t thought of that. Huss had followers that others deemed “Hussites”. Do you think the story of one of them would make a good subplot?

@salome01w4g
                  , yup. I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I’m not adding things like new storylines and stuff that’ll change what really happened. I meant filling in the blanks like… WHAT IF THE PERSON WHO BROUGHT HUSS IN WAS ONE OF HIS FRIENDS?! OR A SPY?!

Anyways, thanks guys!

Daeus
                  @daeus

@xonos-darkgrate I’m sure it would. It would be cool to give a bad guy a subplot too.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Joseph Darkgrate
                    @xonos-darkgrate

Yup, I was always thinking about making the big Inquisitor have his own side of the story. Chasing down this HERETIC for his good church…

Hannah
                      @salome01w4g

@xonos-darkgrate yeah I know what you mean. 🙂 I didn’t think you’d do something like that, I just wanted to drop that by since some authors go way over board. And when that happens it isn’t very enjoyable.

Joseph Darkgrate
                        @xonos-darkgrate

Yeah, I’m not planning on going overboard. Just adding bits in to make it feel like a well-told story instead of a history book.

@salome01w4g

Hannah
                          @salome01w4g

Yes exactly perfectly balanced, entertaining yet educational. I like it! @xonos-darkgrate 😀

Aislinn Mollisong
                            @aislinn-mollisong
                              • Total Posts: 445

This sounds cool! I’m sure you’ll be great at the intrigue and betrayal…. 😉

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                              https://forums.theaetherli

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >