Minor Characters

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Thompson
    @daniel-leinad-thompson-2-2-2
      • Total Posts: 37

If I’m gonna have a minor character I want to stand out, the big thing is to just give him a quirk or something that makes him not-cliche. I generally don’t develop deep, because there’s only so much time, but if you treat him/her with just enough of an interesting starting point, the character often evolves by his/herself to become someone less place-holder-y and more interesting.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Do that often enough, Daeus, and you’ll eventually get to the point where you can tap them on the shoulder and say ‘hey, I want to talk to you— got a minute?’ and they’ll stop whatever they’re doing, turn around, look you full in the face, and talk to you— with very little effort on your part. I know this sounds crazy, but I never said I was sane, did I? It’s true— I’ve done it.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy

Good idea, Daniel!
          You’ve got a point there. Just give them something that will make them stand out immediately, and they will be more memorable. Of course, this wouldn’t work for every character— imagine giving an evil baron an allergy to broccoli. Somewhat… incongruous. But a very good idea just the same.

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

Ha! That sounds at once positively ridiculous and fun. I’ll just have to make sure I don’t do it out loud in public, though I could seriously see myself doing that.

Thanks for joining us Daniel. It’s great to have your input.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

The only outward signs of such conversations I ever seem to exhibit come in the form of wide, silly grins plastered all over my face whenever one of my characters says something particularly witty or unexpected. My family calls it to my attention all the time, but so far, I don’t think any have actually caught me in the act of speaking aloud. But yes, that is a danger to beware of. 🙂
              Just make sure you never get too animated in these discussions, and you should be fine. Hopefully.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >