Memories and What They Look Like

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Memories and What They Look Like

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1486

Ello!

So in my WIP memories and emotions are a central element and are mentioned often. Since my MC can see the memories and emotions of other people, I wanted to embody them so the reader has something to picture when they are spoken of. For emotions I was thinking of using color i.e. if the dominant emotion in a memory was fear, the color white would stand out the most. If a person has no emotions in a memory, then the scene would be shades of gray.
      My problem is this is a little like Inside Out, though slightly more complex. Does anyone else have any ideas about how to show an emotion in a memory? Do you think using sound or texture could also portray the emotions of memories?

My other problem is how my MC sorts through other peoples memories or her own. How could I make memories in a mind concrete objects? How would they be stored?
      As an example, I read a book where memories were seen as threads, and, in the protagonists mind, were stored behind doors, in books, and scrolls on shelves. I need something like that, a way memories are stored and sorted, so my MC could pick one or two important memories to veiw. I was thinking of using orbs, but then I realized again that the idea was too much like Inside Out. I also want a way to portray a section of the mind that’s blocking out an emotion completely, i.e. a wall built around a certain color, sound, texture, ect.

I hope this makes sense. Does anyone have any ideas?

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

@winter-rose Hmm, to show emotion in memory would could very much use facial expressions. Smiley faces, like emojis. I also like your idea of using texture. Angry memories could be rough and spiky, sad memories could be icy slick, to portray tears, and happy memories could be warm and fuzzy. Oh! You could use temperature as well.
        As for storage, you could use flashcards, or maybe storage cubes. So the life of one person is an entire 4D experience movie. By flashcards I mean that it would be like the Dewey decimal system, and then that card would show her where to find the storage cube in her memory, then inside the cube would be small objects that were part of it. Say, for example, that it’s Cinderella. She would find her memory cube card of the night she met Prince Charming. The card would read The Night I Met Prince Charming: 345.6 then she would go to it. Inside is the slipper she wore and a picture of her fairy god-mother and the chocolates that she ate that night. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anne Swiftblade
        @anne-swiftblade
          • Total Posts: 84

Ooo… sounds like an interesting plot. I may have a few ideas… 😉
          *Sorts through brain until light bulb is found*
          Wait! *To self* that’s not a bad idea.

What if memories and emotions were portrayed not by orbs but by light-bulb-like things? So the active memories would be “on” and dormant ones would be “off”. Memories being blocked could be boxed up or in a lamp-like cover thing (like an old fashioned street lamp). Then you could use color (like you originally said), brightness, and even the kind of light source to explain the emotion.
          The memory itself could be related to the light source. For i.e. the character’s encounter with such-and-such was at night in the forest, so the memory would be a torch or a lantern in the dark part of the room/brain/whatever.
          I don’t know if that makes sense or not.
          I don’t know what time period you story takes place in either. Meaning they could be more of candles than light bulbs.
          But if they were candles you could add sent as an element of the memory… And color might make more sense to the reader.

Hopefully that was helpful in some way 😀
          *Whispers* and if you don’t use it let me know and I might! XD

Anne Swiftblade
          @anne-swiftblade

Whoops! I forgot the name thingy: @winter-rose

Hey @Dragon-snapper! I like your ideas! Mind if I add just an idea to yours?? *waits for response* yes? *starts typing as she waits*

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper

@anne-swiftblade *stubbornly crosses arms* No. No adding to my ideas. No no no no no.

Just Kidding. Go ahead. 😛 😀

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anne Swiftblade
              @anne-swiftblade

Got board of waiting. Really short idea.

You could have different peoples emotions and memories and all showed in different ways depending on the person. So dreamers could have lights, thoughtful and organized people could have the filing system and cubes, a more random and scattered brain full of hand drawn pictures could be the mind of a child.

Anne Swiftblade
                @anne-swiftblade

XD @Dragon-snapper, Saw your response AFTER I posted mine!

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper

@anne-swiftblade You’re so disobedient. *shakes head*
                    😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous

@Dragon-snapper @anne-swiftblade Oooh awesome ideas guys! I’ll defiantly think ’em over. And I forgot to mention my WIP is a Medieval Fantasy.

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal
                        • Total Posts: 1013

@Winter-Rose Just a thought here, but what about weather? Happy memories radiate light, angry memories are stormy, sad memories seem wet and rainy, confused memories foggy, memories of love all glowy and warm.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Anonymous

@Ethryndal Thoughts are always welcome. 🙂 That’s a cool idea! I’m not sure it would exactly fit with what I’m picturing now, but I really like the idea of fog representing confused memories. I have so much to think about now.
                          So far I’m thinking of using hanging tear shaped lights in a completely dark room (sort of what @anne-Swiftblade mentioned) to portray the mind. My MC can enter that room and walk through the lights, touching the ones she wants to view. I may use dates for the sorting system. I haven’t boiled anything down to specifics (so ideas are still welcome), but I think that will be the basics.
                          Thanks again guys!

Ethryndal
                          @ethryndal
                            • Total Posts: 1013

@winter-rose That’s such a cool idea! Lights in the dark always fascinated me. (Tangled, anyone?) Good luck!

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >