MBTI is Fake

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters MBTI is Fake

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

@graciegirl YESSS! Daeuses shall steal gladly. *licks lips*

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Mark-Kamibaya woohoo! You are brave! 😛

Well, pretty much everything’s been said… how deeply have you studied MBTI? Do you view it as a classification system or pieces to a bigger puzzle? Because a classification system it definitely is not.

@Jane-Maree
        INFP?

@BethanySinkyRoses
        hmmm… with you I’m not so sure. Sometimes you can tell just by the way someone writes, but usually I like to have spoken face to face before I’m sure enough to make a prediction. But if I had to guess… INFJ?

@Mark-Kamibaya
        before you ask, I’ll confess right now I’ve been puzzling over you for a while. 😛 Some people just scream their type. You are not one of them, nor do I think you would be even if I had spoken with you face to face. But… let me hazard a guess. Are you an INTJ?

@GracieGirl
        cool beans! And yes, look out for @Daeus. His motto is steal, so… *shrugs* XD

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy

@BethanySinkyRoses also just like to point out; this

However, I have read MBTI blogs which treat the analysis like another “gospel.” (If you strengthen your weaker functions, you’ll be perfect or saved from your faults or sins.)

is what happens when man tries to explain human nature without factoring God in. Ultimately everything you study with an open mind leads back to the Creator. You can’t truly study anything about the world or the people in it without seeing God, even if you have no idea what you’re looking at.
          Without God, there is no right or wrong, but even secular people like that know there has to be a right and wrong, so they look to the chemical/psychological elements of the human intellect (after all, by their philosophy man is the measure of all things) to try and find the answer to their dilemma.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

Whoo-hoo is this an awesome discussion. @Mark-Kamibaya I agree with the general sentiment running here. So not really any need to repeat it. 😛
            A good thing to keep in mind about MBTI always though is, it’s not how your personality is but how you think. Process info. But not necessarily how you act. ‘Cause yeah…no one type will be the same in every person. Probably never.
            And I’m also eager to know your type,’cause I’ve been puzzling over it basically since an extremely long time. I used to think you were an ESTJ but I know you’re not now that I’m more familiar with the thing. Mebbe ENTJ…but really the other ones mentioned by the other people, ENTP INTP or even INTJ also seem like they might work.

Jane Maree
            @jane-maree
              • Total Posts: 909

@Daeus YES! 😀 I am an ENFP. Good guess. 😛

@Kate-Flournoy
              very close. I’m actually one of those rare creatures called an extroverted writer. 😉

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Daeus
              @daeus

*cackle* *cackle* Yesssss! We guessed it, we did.

Sympathies, @kate-flournoy. Better luck next time.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Jane Maree
                @jane-maree

@Daeus XD I’m quite impressed, considering you’ve only sort of known me for, like, six months or something.

J.A. Penrose
                  @jess-penrose
                    • Total Posts: 377

@Jane-Maree I knew it! I knew it!!! *Grins* Yeah, you are very ENFP. Although, I guess I didn’t know until you told me. And congrats @daeus That was impressive deduction.

Writer | Freelance Editor
                    Inspiration&lt

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

@Daeus riiiiiight. *rolls eyes*
                      Good job sir. *high fives* You’ve no excuse coming to me now with questions. XD
                      Just kidding.
                      Kates likes to be asked questions almost as much as Daeuses likes to steal.

@Jane-Maree
                      good for you. 😀 ENFPs are fun.

Jane Maree
                      @jane-maree

@Jess-Penrose well yes you did, but you’re related to me and I told you. XD

@Kate-Flournoy
                        Awh thanks. ^-^ I’m the little bouncy bundle of smiles. 😛

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

@Jane-Maree welp, I’m the little sopping bucket of tears, so… XD

Daeus
                          @daeus

*gasp!* Kateses likes to be asked questions as much as stealing?!?!?! 😮😮😮 Kateses CRAAAAAAAAZZZYYYYYY.

Kateses go to big grey box with other crazy people. NOOOOOO! NOT THAT! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy
                              Mark Kamibaya
                              @mark-kamibaya
                                • Total Posts: 318

Oh, no. The clickbait actually worked.

@daeus
                                I see the point you’re trying to make, but I’d have to disagree with you on the case of psychology and science. Sure, psychology is a broad and undeveloped arm of science to be sure. But to discount psychology as “crazy” or “pseudoscience” seems a bit extreme. To prove MBTI through its immediate usefulness seems a little backward to me. Using that mentality I can “prove” the geocentric theory. Also, just because someone can guess your type correctly doesn’t prove that the theory works, because you’re still working within the framework of MBTI. I mean, you’re only working with 16 personality types and that narrows down real fast. You’d have to try to find the E/I, S/N, T/F, and J/P dichotomies independent of the framework you’re working in. So, scientifically, I’d have to totally reject MBTI. That being said, I’m still gonna use it for my stories 😛

BTW I found this really sciency report of the Five Factor Model/Theory/Thing. It’s long, but if you’re smart then go ahead and czech eet outtt! If you don’t want to be bored too quickly, I suggest reading pages 21-24 (195-198). What I found interesting was how they got the Five Factors. They compared many different personality systems (questionnaires) trying to find similarities. Even more intriguing, they did lexical research in which they tried to group adjectives in various languages and narrow them down to a few factors (in this case five).

@graciegirl
                                I’m looking into the Five Factor Model too, but, yeah, MBTI is still my go-to system. As for Isabel Myers using the scientific method . . . sure. She did want MBTI to be an accurate system. It’s just that in order for something to be scientifically sound. It has to have like a peer review and be tested out by other people. Or something like that . . .

@jane-maree
                                @dragon-snapper Yeah, humans are unique so I don’t want to stick people into a specific type. Like if MBTI was a bit more ambiguous and used gradations instead of “You’re E and you’re I, end of story” then maybe I’d champion it a bit more. The Five Factor Theory/Model/Thingy uses gradations if I’m not mistaken. I do believe one of the main pitfalls of MBTI is that it seems to be unreliable. Like as in you can come up as different types very easily. Also, didn’t know there was something as strange as an extroverted writer, Jane. 😛

@bethanysinkyroses
                                So according to the article, MBTI may be creepy not because of Myers and Briggs, but because they believed in Jung. So blame Jung? Sure, why not. Also, I totally see online things that are really, really religious with MBTI.

@kate-flournoy
                                What exactly do you mean as a classification system? ‘Cause I’m pretty sure many people use it that way. I use it as a starting point during character creation (again, I don’t use it on people) and then kinda trash it later on. As in, I don’t view it as gospel truth as I write my later drafts. BTW, I like what you said to BethanySinkyRoses. You can’t openly study anything without eventually going back to God.

@emma-flournoy
                                I think that’s the main difference Five Factor and MBTI. MBTI tries to deconstruct the thought processes whereas Five Factor tries to diagnose how people actually are (like the N and A of the Five Factors OCEAN don’t deal with thought processes).

And as for my personality type . . .

Honestly, that’s why I don’t like MBTI. It’s really vague and changes a lot. You see, extroversion and introversion are very different, but people still wonder about themselves. Like I tested as an extrovert once, and I was like, “No way. I value alone time, ’cause that’s when I’m like recharged.” So definitely an I. From there it gets difficult. I depend on sensing or intuition depending on the situation that I am getting info (like in a classroom as opposed to a group of people). This one is literally 50/50. Thinking and Feeling are also relative, but a lot easier. I gravitate towards feeling whenever I’m with those I love (family, friends, reeaaly important people). However, I’m more comfortable saying that I’m Thinking. Judging and Perceiving are the worst. Like how am I supposed to accurately measure my dominant attitude towards life? This one is almost always a toss up. As of right now, I’m a Perceiver according to the tests I just took. Maybe that’ll change tomorrow. Who knows?

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Jane Maree
                                @jane-maree

@Mark-Kamibaya Yes. I am this odd creature of extroverted writerliness. XD

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >