Magic

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Alia
    @alia
      • Total Posts: 1253

@Northerner, @Kate-flournoy, @Dragon-snapper
      thanks for all this, it really gives me something to think about

WIP - Decisions
      Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Clare
      @willow-wispowing
        • Total Posts: 6

Some magic is definitely evil but many writers use it in a really cool way, I like it and think it can be done in a good way. The whole God thing in fantasy can be tricky because it is another world and doesn’t have the same rules as ours usually.

In my story I’m writing magic is a power many people can use some more than others and it is given to them by the moons who get the light from God. But I don’t dwell on that side of the magic much, because that gets complicated.

God Bless
        Clare

Alia
        @alia

@willow-wispowering, so would you suggest having magic but not using it often? I really don’t want to go the Harry Potter route (not trying to offend any Harry Potter fans). But it seems like that’s what most magic stories these days become.

WIP - Decisions

Alia
          @alia

@willow-wispowing

WIP - Decisions

Clare
            @willow-wispowing
              • Total Posts: 6

Hmm well I like magic and it is important in the my story. It is not used so much at first but is used a lot more later on. I think you just have to make it clearly good magic. Something like having the character uses if for good, or else there would be repercussions.

God Bless
              Clare

Alia
              @alia

@willow-wispowing,
                I see what you mean

WIP - Decisions

Anna Brie
                @anna-brie
                  • Total Posts: 312

This is something I’ve thought about a bit and I think the problem with magic is seeking supernatural power or knowledge from a source other than God. Because if it doesn’t come from God, it comes from evil.

However, the thing that allows certain types of magic in fantasy is the word ‘supernatural’. In a made up world, you can have things we would perceive as magic as a natural ability. Or have objects that are naturally ‘magical’. (say, a set of mirrors that are linked to you see what’s reflected in the other)
                  For example, I’ve read several series where people of certain blood lines can speak to one another through their minds. This can be used for evil purposes, but in these story worlds it’s almost as natural as speaking face to face. In fact both of the things I’ve mentioned are actually enabled by modern technology. No one thinks telephones are evil.

I’d say it come’s down to your conscience. Personally anything involving magic spells is a too much, and I haven’t actually written anything with magic.

Ethryndal
                  @ethryndal
                    • Total Posts: 1013

I think the confusing thing about magic is the indefinite line between “good magic” and “bad magic”. When I was researching it a couple months ago, a lot of articles I came up with stated that you just have to make sure your characters use this “good magic”. But the thing is, what exactly draws the line between good and bad magic? Using magic for good purposes? Since most people who aren’t Christians have a different definition of good, that could get really confusing, really fast.

Just something to think about. 🙂

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >