Lovely Words

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Rolena Hatfield
    @rolena-hatfield
      • Total Posts: 405

Okay ya’ll are writers, so I’m sure I’m not the only one who absolutely loves words!
      It makes me giggle with glee when I learn a new word that’s hard to pronounce and can replace an every day word I use making the thing sound ten times are important as it probably is.
      So what are some of your favorite words?

And I’m also curious to know if anyone else has ever found such a great word that you purposely added a sentence to your story just so that you could use your newest greatest word find?!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Hope Ann
      @hope
        • Total Posts: 1092

Hmm, ‘melded’ is a word I really like. I also like the word ‘gloaming’ (I’ve made the time work so I can use that word) and ‘turf’.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

There’s a lot of words I like, but I can never really think of them unless I’m writing a sentence where they would fit. Even then though, I often don’t think of them.

There’s this book though I’d suggest. It’s called The Words You Should Know by David Olsen. It has 1200 words in it that you could actually use. I’ve never really used this book, but after looking at this topic I decided I’m going to start leaving it by my laptop so I can consult it for useful words while writing. I just picked a random page and these are the types of words you will find in it. Galvanize, gamut, gargantuan, garner, garrulity, gauche. I’m probably at least somewhat familiar with about half the words in the book, but so many of the ones I don’t know look so appetizing. I think my copy is old, but apparently it’s still for sale. Amazon has it for about $10.

If you happen to have a mac, you can pull up a dictionary definition, wikipedia description, and thesaurus on any word you select. For laptops, you merely need to tap the word with three fingers. On a desktop, you can select the word and then right click then choose “look up”. I find this tool very helpful especially for the thesaurus.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

@Hope— one of my very favorite words is gloaming too! In fact I can really tend to overuse that one…
            Actually I have so many favorites I can never list them all, but I like words like limpid and lucid and citadel (oh yeah citadel is probably a top five on the list) and causeway and bastion and foundation and twisted and winced and mist and twilight (twilit alternatively) and shadow and twinkle and tumbling and bounce and echo and hollow and hoarse and tremble and— oh, I could go on forever.
            I don’t think I’ve ever added a sentence just so I could use a word— the words come to me when I need them and when I can use them.
            Oh and yeah. Thesauruses are your friend. Get that into your head, and you’ll never lack for interesting words.
            Or actually, there is one word I always have trouble finding synonyms for: light. Luminosity gets a little old and overblown.
            Also I recently discovered the word carnelian— but you have to use it sparingly, as with all unique words, and you have to use it in special situations. For instance you can’t exactly say ‘he flushed carnelian up to the roots of his hair’ without conveying a somewhat laughable picture. 😛

Unique words I don’t like: stymied. Reading the Inheritance Cycle cured me of that one.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

One word I love just for the sound but rarely use is discombobulated. I would feel such satisfaction if I actually ever wrote it.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

Yeah really, it sounds so much like its meaning, doesn’t it? And it just rolls off your tongue so nicely. I love words like that.

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 40

My favorite word, although it’s not that unusual of a word, is ardent. I have no reason as to liking this word…it just happens to be a favorite.

Ezra Wilkinson
                  @ezra-wilkinson
                    • Total Posts: 146

Schmaltzy.

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

What? Is that German?

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

Actually just went and looked it up: effusively or insincerely emotional. Nice. And yes it is German, originally schmalz, or dripping, lard. Double nice. Good one, Ezra.

Hannah C
                        @hannah-c
                          • Total Posts: 362

I like the word tintinnabulation. Yes, real word. It means: a ringing or tinkling noise. Such fun! I also like conundrum and curmudgeon. Somebody suggested discombobulate, another treasure of a word.

HC

Hannah Wilson
                          @h-m-wilson
                            • Total Posts: 13

Hmmm… So many words, so little time! XD

I personally like ‘Vellichor’, ‘Petrichor’, ‘Ruska’, and ‘Serendipity’… <3

Ezra Wilkinson
                            @ezra-wilkinson
                              • Total Posts: 146

Peon, minion, underling…so yeah, basically synonyms for ‘people other than me’.

Rosey Mucklestone
                              @writefury
                                • Total Posts: 467

Petrichor, as Hannah W said. 🙂
                                Crumple is a good multipurpose writing word.
                                Fog
                                Privateer
                                Defenestration. The act of throwing someone out a window. I adore this one, but I’m still waiting for a chance to use it. Thankfully, I have a character who likes to use big words. 😉

Has anyone read the book “Ounce, Dice, Trice”? Perfect book for word lovers. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

Oh minion! Yes, I forgot that one. It’s a wonderful word. So… I don’t know, humiliating. 😛 And underling too— lovely. *Shivers, rubs hands together*
                                  @HannahWilson— aren’t those tomato varieties? 🙂
                                  @Rosey—I love the word privateer as well! And I know what defenestration means, but I’m not sure I’d ever use it…

Also, one great word I forgot to mention…drumroll…Tyrannical!
                                  Along with manacle and barnacle and all those other ones.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >