Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't.

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Sierra
    @sierra-r
      • Total Posts: 46

@Ethryndal You are too kind 😀 I still don’t disagree you two (the whole thing was rushed, given too much attention, etc.), and am in general far more fond of Fili, Bilbo, and Thorin.

Ethryndal
      @ethryndal
        • Total Posts: 1013

@Sierra-R To be perfectly honest, I don’t really hate it as much as I sound. There’s just some very twisted part of my nature that appreciates bashing things. 😛 I’m working on it.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Mark Kamibaya
        @mark-kamibaya
          • Total Posts: 318

@kate-flournoy As you all know, I love to procrastinate (my fatal flaw). But I’m here one month after being tagged with a reply. I haven’t exactly read all of the previous posts, so I’m probably gonna reiterate something previously said. Anyway . . .

I totally agree with your two main reasons. I actually read a writing book that required you to have romance in a novel. Now that’s taking it to extremes, but I think that demonstrates that romance is now a predominant part of storytelling within our modern culture. So we basically have to deal with it. Which, honestly, is hard. I once talked to a ten-year old kid (you know what kind of movies they watch) who couldn’t name a movie without romance. That’s how pervasive tacked on romance is.

As for your second point, classical authors generally fit into the “Christian perspective of romance” category with (of course) some exceptions. I’d like to attribute that to the general Christian culture of their time period. I mean, their standards were higher, you know? So I think that helped a lot. So, again, I think that a lot of trash is being produced because of our current culture.

So basically, thumbs up to your insight!

One thing that I don’t see a lot in modern romance is sacrifice and forgiveness. Just food for thought.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Mark Kamibaya
          @mark-kamibaya

@sierra-r Don’t get me started on the Hobbit. Just don’t. That movie series crashed like a twenty-year old laptop. Those movies shouldn’t have been made. Let me just say that the romance between Tauriel and Kili . . . that was tacked on tension. It’s a master class on how to not do romance.

As for the Phantom? Girl, that’s my favorite musical! The progression of the Phantom from mystery to human to monster is just awesome. I mean, you sympathize with the guy because the girl just stomped on him, but the guy is a horrible person. You’re kind of torn because you feel for him because of all the heartache he’s been through since birth, but he’s going about doing stuff that is just horrid!

I love the romance in there too. Okay, fine. Raoul is a paper thin character. But that’s what most love triangles lead to: a thin third wheel. And romances can work fine with a thin third wheel. Just look at the classics.

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976
              Mark Kamibaya
              @mark-kamibaya

I did an article on Valentine’s Day, modern romance, and true love.

Vanna
                @vanna
                  • Total Posts: 48

*squees* So I know I haven’t been on here in ages, but this topic really sparked my interest. I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that a good love triangle should reflect two different directions the plot and/or character development could take. So the choice shouldn’t just be “hot guy v.s. hot guy”. It should have a definite effect on the story.

I would agree with the person who said that both points don’t necessarily have to be good people. For example, in a prequel story I’ve yet to write, the main heroine is the center of a love triangle between one of the male secondary characters and *gasp* the villain!

Basically, the villain thinks that he “deserves” and “understands” the heroine because they both have the same rare magical ability. So he’s trying to emotionally manipulate her into joining him by pitting her against her friends and the other guy she likes and by playing on her increasing feelings that they don’t really care/are using her.

At some point, she would have to choose between 1. Going with the villain and living selfishly or 2. Going with her friends and the second guy and (possibly) dying sacrificially. So her decision to act selfishly v.s. act sacrificially is physically symbolized by the two men.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

That’s awesome @Vanna! Perfect use of foil characters and thematic contrasts. *thumbs up* Sounds like you absolutely nailed a good (skillful rather 😉 ) love triangle.

Emma Flournoy
                    @emma-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 1352

@ETHRYNDAL remember I wailed on this thread that Thorin didn’t have the Arkenstone with him in the funeral-ish scene? On page 3. But we finished watching BotFA a little bit ago, and HE DID HAVE IT! It was on him; he was sort of holding it. Peter Jackson, I apologize for yelling about that. I was wrong. It was THERE INDEED! This makes me so incredibly happy. *blissful grins*

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal
                        • Total Posts: 1013

@Emma-Flournoy Ha, yes! When we finished BotFA a few days ago, one of my first thoughts when we came to the funeral scene was, “Emma lied to me!” and a profound feeling of betrayal. Peter Jackson, I’m sorry for casting aspersions on your character. I was led astray. 😉

*blissfully grins with you* It makes me incredibly happy too. He needed it.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 1352

@Ethryndal I know. My impeccable memory and attention to detail must have failed me then. *hangs head in shame*

I was so happy to be proven incorrect though. XD

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >