Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't.

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Ethryndal
    @ethryndal
      • Total Posts: 1013

@Emma-Flournoy Hey, maybe if you’re a Dunadain, you mature faster! 😛

@Kate-Flournoy
      Ha! Yes, that entire spiel about, “You cannot be she, for she is far away. *sappy music* Far, far away from me,” was just cringe worthy. The thing about that triangle that bothered me most was that it totally undermined how incredible the Legolas Gimli friendship was. The point of that relationship was that an elf and a dwarf becoming friends was unprecedented, and so it was super special. But then in the Hobbit, we have Tauriel FALLING IN LOVE (or crushing on, whichever you prefer) with a dwarf. Total disregard of LOTR. I didn’t mind Tauriel or Kili up until that point, but then they just became blech. And most of their lines were pretty silly too. Which didn’t help.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Ethryndal oh boy, I hadn’t even thought of that angle. 😛 Thanks a lot. XD The LotR films had their share of problems and didn’t come anywhere close to the books, but I still loved them, and I’m still trying to figure out how the same man directed the Hobbit films. Maybe we should start a rant thread just for that. 😛

Sierra
        @sierra-r
          • Total Posts: 46

@ethryndal *plugs my ears and plays Feast of Starlight AKA ‘sappy music’ deafeningly loud* LA LA LA CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!

😀 But you’re right, it did undermine Legolas and Gimli’s friendship a fair bit. Unless you watch the LOTR movies first. Which you should.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@Ethryndal Dat must be it.

@Sierra-R
            Hey, it’s okay, I adore that music too. Even if it’s associated with some silly lines. Not all their lines were sappy anyway…they got crazier as it went, but they weren’t all bad.

The Hobbit movies still have TONS of awesome stuff in them, even if they have a fair amount of unawesome stuff. Trust me, I hate and rant about all the unawesome stuff, but that doesn’t mean we should forget about the great stuff. *sniff*

Ethryndal
            @ethryndal

@Sierra-R To be fair, I really do like that Sappy Music, so you can come out from under the bed and I’ll try not to bash it TOO much while in ear-shot. 😉

@Emma-Flournoy
              But it’s so much fun to hate and rant…*puppy eyes* Though I will admit, the Hobbit brings us Bilbo. And he’s worth every cheesy line Tauriel ever said.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Emma Flournoy
              @emma-flournoy

@Ethryndal So much fun, and not to be missed for sure (an INTJ is giving me puppy eyes. What has the world come to.), but we don’t want to give the impression it’s all bad and so discourage anyone who’s not seen it from DOING SO! Do we now. *severe eyebrows*
                Yes Bilbo! And Thorin! And lots of things which totally made the cheesy lines worth it. 😀
                (Question: do you like Kili aside from Tauriel? ‘Cause him and Thorin and Fili is just WONDERFUL, and I like him so much in those settings… With Bilbo too, and some of the other dwarves.)

Ethryndal
                @ethryndal

@Emma-Flournoy All cheesy lines and triangles aside, I do like Kili. I agree, the whole Thorin Kili Fili thing was great, though I do wish they had developed Fili just a tad more. I think he would have made pretty interesting character, being the heir of Durin’s line and all. We kind of see the pressure that was on him, and how he was trying to live up to it, but I think it could have had a bigger part to play, as far as his dealings with Thorin and his brother, dragon sickness, and ultimately, his death. Which *lowers voice confidentially* I’ll admit, I cried over. How could I not? 😀

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy

@Ethryndal YES. All that. Poor Fili. *sniff* I think I cried over it, but even if I didn’t there was shocked screaming inside. (*lowers voice even more confidentially* And I’d have preferred it if Fili and Kili died the same way as they did in the book…that’d have been so much sweeter. Defending Thorin with shield and body and all that. But of course Tauriel had to come between it. 🙁 )
                    And lemme just say that the whole dragon-sickness stuff was MASTERFULLY executed. Richard Armitage’s acting, and all the dwarves’ and Bilbo’s reaction, and the creepily awful music…it was so well done.

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal

@Emma-Flournoy I don’t know if you’ve ever seen the extended edition, but there was this scene of their funeral and *lowers voice confidentialliest* it was even worse than their death. I bawled. I bawl just thinking about it. And I agree, it would have been much more satisfying (if I can call it that 🙂 ) if their death was more book-like. Book version was way more noble than getting impaled and pitched off the edge of a tower, and getting impaled in front of the Elven Crush and thereafter pitched on the ground. Just sayin’. 🙂

And I just had this thought about the Aragorn being ten thing: I think the timeline was different in the movies than in the books, so technically, if Aragorn was 87 in Two Towers, and the events of the Hobbit movies took place sixty years earlier, then Aragorn would have been 27. I was pretty confused though at first though, because yeah, book and movie timelines do not coincide, and according to the books, he would have been twelve or something. 😀

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy

@Ethryndal *lowers voice not at all* Of course I’ve seen the extended version. What kind of fan do you think I am?
                        That scene is sad, but not long enough in my oh so humble opinion. They didn’t even have the funeral; it just showed them there! I needed to see more mourning too—from a close up, personal stand point. But what really gets me is that they DIDN’T HAVE THE ARKENSTONE WITH THORIN!!! I still can’t believe it. In the book they buried him with the Arkenstone, but it wasn’t even shown again here. Thranduil or Bard LAYING THE ARKENSTONE ON THORIN THEMSELF would have been sooo wonderful, but it just dropped off the map! Do you have any idea why?!

Book version was way more noble than getting impaled and pitched off the edge of a tower, and getting impaled in front of the Elven Crush and thereafter pitched on the ground.

I know! And I wanted them to die together, to have last looks and hugs and all that wonder! With Thorin too.

Yeah, I knew that. 😛 I was just going by book timeline. Trust me to be nitpicky like that. I knew it wasn’t technically sound reasoning because the timeline was different in the movie…but yeah.
                        The timeline is different because in the movie Frodo didn’t wait till he was 50 (17 years later) to go on the quest, like he did in the book. So Bilbo’s party day was still 60 years after The Hobbit, and Frodo was 33 then…he just went on the quest way sooner in the movie, instead of waiting many years.

Ethryndal
                        @ethryndal

*lowers voice not at all* Of course I’ve seen the extended version. What kind of fan do you think I am?

@Emma-Flournoy
                          Forgive me of such slander! Sackcloth and ashes are forthcoming. 😛

I haven’t seen the Hobbit in a while (a month, to be exact 🙂 ) so I didn’t really remember the Arkenstone not being with him, (capital offense, I know) but now that you mention it, YEAH! WHERE’S THE ARKENSTONE, PETER JACKSON??? How dare you forget it? Maybe they thought it would be needed for the next king or something, but really…

I wanted them to die together, to have last looks and hugs and all that wonder! With Thorin too.

But doesn’t the Elven Crush trump all? Come on, she walks on starlight in another world! That’s way more important than even shedding a tear over the Impaled-And-Pitched Brother. Sheesh, come on, Emma!

Though I will say, I did appreciate Thorin’s death. Not exactly the way he died (getting his toes stabbed is just a little painful), but the part with Bilbo and everything was just…*slams computer shut to muffle sobs* Ahem. Yeah. 🙂

And I know some people would hate me for this, but I’m kind of glad Frodo wasn’t 50 when he went on the quest… 🙂

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy

@Ethryndal Ah well, I forgive you. 😉

Maybe they thought it would be needed for the next king or something, but really…

Um, no. No one but Thorin should get the Arkenstone.

But doesn’t the Elven Crush trump all? Come on, she walks on starlight in another world! That’s way more important than even shedding a tear over the Impaled-And-Pitched Brother. Sheesh, come on, Emma!

Don’t say such things. I can’t stand it.
                            Because that’s really how it seemed! *goes off to cry in a corner*

I know, I really do. Thorin’s death, since he had Bilbo, wasn’t bad. So sweet!

Ah well, it’d be different but not too bad…after all Bilbo was around that age in The Hobbit and he didn’t seem too awfully old. 😛

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                            Sierra
                            @sierra-r
                              • Total Posts: 46

@Ethryndal You’ve probably already lost all vestiges of respect for me by now, but I just wanted you to know I painted that starlight quote and hung it on my wall.

Emma Flournoy
                              @emma-flournoy

@Sierra-R If it’s any consolation, I used to be crazy about Kili and Tauriel myself. (Kind of secretly, but still. 😛 ) Even now I don’t despise it with everything in me…I just think it’s a little silly and gets in the way of other relationships (even though I still like some of the scenes). *shrug* But I think no less of you, at any rate. 😉

Ethryndal
                                @ethryndal

@Sierra-R Well this is awkward. Here.

Tauriel Kili

Peace offering. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >