Let's write a story!

Home Page › Forums › Fiction Writing › Critiques › Novel Idea Critiques › Let's write a story!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Rosey Mucklestone
    @writefury
      • Total Posts: 467

We have nothing to do and no one is doing anything about it.
      Someone must save this forum.
      larryboy

Okay, so this’ll be sort of like this topic, but with a story.
      Write a paragraph or two, pass it on.

Let’s go!

My first thought was This isn’t how I sleep.
      The blankets were pulled tidily up to my chin and I could feel them smoothed over on top. My legs and arms were straight.
      It was kind of creepy. Usually, I’m on my side or stomach looking like I just went through a blanket hurricane. What happened?
      After a lot more effort than I thought it would take, I pulled open my eyes.

Rosey Mucklestone
      @writefury

C’mon, guys. Should I write the next part, too? Restart?

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Whoops… missed this! Sorry! 😛

‘The first thing I noticed was the chandelier. Odd, since I didn’t have one in my room. Last time I checked, at least… which was when I fell asleep last night. Of course, it had been dark… but I was pretty sure to have noticed that thing in my room last night, considering it almost touched where the floor should be.
          Where the floor should be.
          I struggled upright with a groggy, cranky groan, extricating myself as best I could from the tentacles of that horridly neat bed. If this was another one of those wretched dreams…’

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Ighhhh… forgot the tag @writefury

Rosey Mucklestone
            @writefury

I’m back! 😛 Sorry. Meant to carry this on sooner…

My feet come to rest on a carpet I most certainly haven’t seen before. Expensive Persian fluff. No one in their right mind would ever let me near that sort of thing. Though that thought does no favors to any idea of how I got here…
              It has to be a dream.
              But, standing up and promptly stubbing my toe on a stool doesn’t seem to wake me up. Odd.
              I hear a noise from the next room.

Jada Morrison
              @jadamae
                • Total Posts: 199

This is ridiculous. Where is everyone? Guess I have to give it a go…

“I hear a noise from the next room.” Which is also really odd, because I live by myself. No family, no pets, no anything besides me and my thoughts, though they can get pretty noisy at times. I walk towards the door, the thick carpet completely absorbing my footsteps. I reach for the handle, a little apprehensive of what I will find when I open the door. I steel my nerves, I mean, what could possibly surprise me? I already have no I idea where I am or how I got here. It can’t get any worse! The door opens into a long hallway. I mean reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long. So long, I can’t see either end. And what’s more, there’s doors all down the hallway, equally spaced. The noise gets louder, so I choose a random door to check out. Before I leave the room I came from however, I decide to mark the door. Call it an intuition. Having wrapped my hairband around the door handle into the room I woke up in, I open another door……..

BlueJay
                @bluejay
                  • Total Posts: 1622

Yet another long corridor. This is crazy. What does this house look like from the outside? I have absolutely no idea what to do. Maybe I’d try a different door. Trying the next door in line I found it to be like the room in which I had awoken. The sheets were messed up, so I figured people must be somewhere close by. And then I found them. Behind the third door, I saw a massive big parlor with a table at the center. The chatter died down as I entered. The eldest, a women in her late forties, rose up and walk over to me.
                  “Welcome,” she said. “You took your time getting here.”
                  “What! Wait?” I cried, perplexed. “You’ve been expecting me?”

Faith Kindred
                  @faithdk
                    • Total Posts: 139

“Of course we have!” she replied, looking at me as if I was out of my mind. Which, at this point, it wouldn’t surprise me if I was.
                    “Come sit,” she told me, and she put her stiff hands on my shoulders and guided me to a chair. As I was pushed down on my seat, I noticed everyone else at the table was staring at me. I sheepishly grinned, and fidgeted with the edge of the pure white table cloth.
                    Someone at the end of the long table cleared their throat. “Now that everyone is present…” A big man with a head of red hair shot an irritated glance at me . “…Let’s begin.”

Ingrid
                    @ingridrd
                      • Total Posts: 830

Everyone stares at me expectantly. I look around, waiting for someone to talk. The man with red hair folds his hands on the table.
                      “Whenever you’re ready,” he says, impatiently.
                      I slowly rise from my chair. “Um…well, to be honest, I’m not really sure what’s going on here.” I glance at the big man, and his expression is confused but also cold. I continue, “So, could someone explain what I’m supposed to be talking about?”
                      The woman who welcomed me stood up. “We wanted you to tell us more about your idea.”
                      I blink and swallow. “Idea?”
                      She nods…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Ingrid.

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Greta
                      @gretald
                        • Total Posts: 450

…”Uh,” I pause, trying to remember any “ideas” I might have had before I passed out. The funny thing is, I’ve never met these people before in my life. How could they possibly know who I am?
                        The red-headed man glares at me again and waits expectantly for me to speak. When I say nothing, he growls, “Tell us about your idea to save the world. We don’t have that long.”
                        I stare at him open-mouthed. “Save the world? I think there’s been a mistake. I’m not–”
                        The woman interrupts me, “They captured you, didn’t they? Is that why you can’t remember?”
                        …

Rosey Mucklestone
                        @writefury

“Well, I woke up here. So that’s a little hard to say…” I start out a little annoyed, but something niggles at the corner of my mind. What do I remember anyway? All these people seem to know and look up to me, but I don’t remember any of them.
                          I think for a minute and a few of their faces trigger slight flashes in my mind. Still, the names of everyone here don’t come to mind. Including my own.

((I love how we’re staying in character voice here, guys. Good job! 🙂 ))

BlueJay
                          @bluejay
                            • Total Posts: 1622

“Well…um…maybe someone else would like to say something?” I asked, trying hard to move the spotlight off me.
                            The faces stared back at me blankly.
                            “Fine,” I said. “Tell me the problem, and I’ll see what I can do.”
                            “You should know what the problem is,” one little old lady screeched at me.
                            “She can’t remember,” another argued.
                            Suddenly the whole room was in an uproar. Chairs went flying everywhere. People screamed and yelled and banged things. In the confusion I ducked out of the room and shut the door behind me with a prayer of thanks. ‘Mad,’ I thought. ‘Everyone’s mad. Even me.’
                            I decided to head back to my room and see if I could find anything to help me understand what was going on. When all of a sudden the sound of singing floated through an open window. The words I could not make out, but the melody was beautiful. I rushed over and gazed down upon a handsome young man. He stood with his back to me, but he must have felt my gaze for he turned and looked up at me.
                            He smiled and I couldn’t help but smile in return.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by BlueJay.
                            • This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by BlueJay.
                            Greta
                            @gretald

“Who are you?” I managed to ask him.
                              “Someone who knows why you’re here,” the man answered.
                              I couldn’t stop staring at the man. There was something unusual about him that I couldn’t put my finger on…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Greta.
                              Greta
                              @gretald

Let me try that again… for some reason I switched to past tense.

“Who are you?” I manage to ask him.
                                “Someone who knows why you’re here,” the man answers.
                                I can’t stop staring at the man. There’s something unusual about him that I can’t put my finger on…

Jada Morrison
                                @jadamae
                                  • Total Posts: 199

Suddenly, I figure it out. Everyone in the dining hall had been wearing medieval-style clothing. I didn’t think about it then because they fit in so well with the house, but this man was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. “Well, why am I here?” I ask.

“Why, to save the world of course!”

“So I’ve heard. But why does the world need saving, and HOW did I get here. Where am I anyway?”

The young man cocked his head and looked at me intently……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >