KP Needs Your Ideas!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Questions and Support KP Needs Your Ideas!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Spradlin
    @spradlin
      • Total Posts: 189

Hey folks!

We’re going to try to revamp the website here in the next few months and we need your help! What are your ideas to make Kingdom Pen better, easier to use, cooler– whatever? No idea is too big or two small!

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Yikes, I love it how it is. I honestly don’t think anything could make it cooler or easier to use or— or anything better, really… but I’ll let you know if I come up with any ideas. 🙂

All you guys on the staff continually amaze me with your ability to keep this place up and running like this, and still live your lives! 😛

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

This isn’t an idea, but I just want to say that I love the weekly prompts. I want to try to enter more this year, but it’s fun to be able to write up short scenes or see what other people have written up.

One thing which is a random idea…it would be cool if there were weekly or semiweekly good Christian writing music posts, with a section for writing music. Something like ‘this week/month we have a selection of battle inspiration music. This week we have music for a calm romantic scene, etc’. 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

Ooooh, you could have a fantasy world generator – type in a brief description, and a 3d navigable world appears fit with imaginary animals and flora.

… OK, probably not.

But one idea I just had is that you could have an events and opportunities board. Anybody who knows of a great event or opportunity for writers that is coming up soon or currently available could submit that to be listed. I’m thinking of things like conferences, writing courses, limited-time sales on writing/publishing related books or other material, or new writing sites, podcasts, etc that people have discovered.

You might also want to add a “publishing” topic to the forum.

But really, you guys are doing an amazing job.

I’ll be back if I think of anything else.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rosey Mucklestone
            @writefury
              • Total Posts: 467

It’s actually kind of hard to think of stuff… you guys are doing an awesome job as is.
              I’ve looked at the serial novel publishing guidelines and it would be pretty cool to get one of those going. But I guess that’s up to us, not you guys. XD
              Maybe organizing some KP webinars. Every month… every other month… something like that.
              Oh, and the prompts could really be expanded on. So I used to be a member of this website called Faithwriters and they did the same sort of thing with single word, weekly prompts, but they had a big structure going for the contest.If you guys wanted to, you could go off their template?
              http://faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php
              http://faithwriters.com/challenge-how-works.html
              If anything’s unclear, I have it down to a science after my year with them, so I could help explain. 😛

Sarah Spradlin
              @spradlin

I am loving these ideas!!! *scribbles ideas into official notebook of awesome KP people ideas* Y’all are rockstars. 🙂

@Daeus
                — LOL! I’ll see what we can do about that generator. 😉 I love the idea of the event board! What format do you think would be best for that? Also, digging new forum topic ideas. Get the people talking. What would be in the publishing topic on the forum? Like, publishing tips and stuff for your novels or on KP or what?

@Hope
                — That sounds like a fantastic idea! Maybe we could start including it in our theme of the month announcement to inspire your submissions. 😀 Seriously, loving that idea.

@kate-flournoy
                — Really, we don’t have lives. We just Kingdom Pen and sometimes poke our heads outside into the real world. XD

@All — It may help if you go to the front page/poke around the website and pretend like it’s your first time. What would you have trouble finding? What do you really like? What do you want to see more of? And so on. What will make you enter your email into the subscribe box? xD

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Sarah Spradlin
                @spradlin

@writefury — This is like Christmas. I refresh the page and more ideas. Don’t tell anyone, but y’all are my favorites. 😀 I love the webinar idea! Who would you want to lead them? Like, KP team members, verified authors, KP community members, etc? And what topics would you be most interested in? I checked out the faithwriter’s website! That definitely went over my brain. Explain how it works in lame-man’s terms. xD

Daeus
                  @daeus
                    • Total Posts: 4238

@spradlin Well, as for format, I’m not entirely sure, but it should probably include this information: Title, starting and ending date (if known and if it has a deadline), description including how much the person suggesting it actually knows about it and why they think it will be good, price, location, link, other stuff. I assume it would be organized chronologically. It might be nice if there were a comments section for questions.

Under publishing you could have:
                    > Formatting and cover design
                    > Traditional publishing vs. self publishing
                    > Amazon and other realtors.
                    > Marketing

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rosey Mucklestone
                    @writefury

Webinar wise, I was thinking maybe a group deal where we could just talk writer stuffs. Or we could do single cam things with a Q&A or something. I don’t know. Webinars would just be cool. 😛

So, how the faithwriters thing works. They have 4 levels, Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced and Masters. You start in Beginners or Intermediate, depending on how good you think you are. As soon as you win first in Beginners or Intermediate, you move on to the next level. In Advanced, you must place in the top 10 overall articles three times to move on to Masters.
                      Also they put up in each level 1st, 2nd and 3rd places, as well as two honorable mentions. The rest of the entries are all up and open for comments below.
                      And with the submissions, they have… okay, this is hard to put in words. I’ll just do a little graph
                      Week 1: Topic “Cheese” comes out on Thursday. Through the week everyone submits their stuff.
                      Week 2: New topic “Secret agent” comes out on Thursday. Through the week everyone submits their stuff. And through this week, the entries from last week are judged.
                      Week 3: New topic “Soccer” comes out on Thurday. Winners from topic “Cheese” announced. Entries from topic “Secret agent” begin to be judged. People send in their stuff for topic “Soccer”.

Does that make sense?

Sarah Spradlin
                      @spradlin

@Daeus — Cool, cool. The bulletin in a good idea. I think figuring out how to work logistics might be a challenge, but I like it. Keep thinking on it and if you have any more ideas on it, be sure to stick ’em here! Just messaged Rachel, and she’ll create a “big topic” for lack of a better word up today or tomorrow, and then you can go in and nest the “small” topics you mentioned above underneath. 😀

@writefury
                        — So like a community Skype hangout? Maybe with like a topic for discussion and then let loose and chat? LOL– webinars are super cool. I like the idea of Q&A’s too. 🙂 Ah, yes, I understand! That sounds like it would be awesome. I don’t think we have the number of submissions to support different levels yet, but once we’re getting more submissions, that would definitely be something to look into! Maybe the different levels get badges to stick on the profiles in the forum. 😀

Rosey Mucklestone
                        @writefury

Ooh, yeah! The community Skype hangout would be awesome. 😀

Sarah Spradlin
                          @spradlin

@writefury — I shall write it down. 😀

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 3976

You guys are way above my head. *resolves to quietly stalk topic and keep her mouth shut so as not to display her deplorable ignorance*

David B. Hunter
                              @dbhgodreigns
                                • Total Posts: 89

I think it would be great to have a list of writing contests for teens from other websites that we could look at and maybe join.

Anna Brie
                                @anna-brie
                                  • Total Posts: 312

And people who aren’t teens anymore. I’m not yet, but I know we have some people over 20.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >