Just Chatter #2

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 382 total)
  • Author
    Louise Fowler
    @perfectfifths
      • Total Posts: 726

@that_writer_girl_99 I like all things weird too (to a degree 😉 ) I like it enough, but I just haven’t an idea that’ll stick. Yet… 😀

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Louise Fowler.

Currently reading Les Miserables

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

“Yet”! Such an exciting word. @perfectfifths

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Louise Fowler
        @perfectfifths

@that_writer_girl_99 Or scary, depending on the context 😀

Emily D
          @emily-d
            • Total Posts: 168

@that_writer_girl_99 @dragon_snapper @perfectfifths You’ll never believe this, but I was just wondering a couple of days ago if Americans think we use weird slang all the time. I can’t believe this!!! So, um, do we? I don’t think so. @perfectfifths will verify me. I love Australia!!! The place where we live we see roos all the time, some of them are super tame, and I’ve fed bandicoots before out of my hand (they are ADORABLE, but I don’t really know how to explain them…) and of course the kookaburras are always there. WA is super pretty, it’s got heaps of beaches! 🙂 🙂

So sorry just saw how much I sound like an add 🙁

I tell my story. Not so that I get glory, but so that others may know Hope.

Louise Fowler
            @perfectfifths

@emily-d I have no idea if we use weird slang all the time, because to us it wouldn’t be weird slang, it’d be normal, everyday speech! XD

I know we (and by we I mean my family and the people I know) don’t use a lot of slang, and probably don’t “sound” very Australian compared to what Americans might expect. But I have briefly met people who are very Aussie, and I know one or two like that to an extent.

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@perfectfifths @emily-d Or maybe Americans are the ones using said slang. At least, I don’t think we do…

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Emily D
                @emily-d

@dragon snapper LOL! Perhaps. True-blue, fair dinkum Aussie slang can be pretty rare…you’d probably find that if you came here and started speaking what you believe is “normal” here, you might be surprised. We’re don’t use it as much as you might think, I think we just make out like it’s this massive thing to tease you Americans. Gotta say this though: I agree with @perfectfifths. Most of the time it probably goes over our heads! If you want to get a taste of real Australian-a stuff, Banjo Patterson’s poetry “The Man from Snowy River” is a massive favourite here 🙂

Louise Fowler
                  @perfectfifths

@emily-d @dragon-snapper OOoh, Yes! I love The Man from Snowy River (No, you cannot just watch the movie to know what it’s like – read the poem!) and I also love The Man from Ironbark 😀

Emily D
                    @emily-d

@perfectfifths Gotta love the Man from Snowy River. D’ya like Clancy of the Overflow?

Louise Fowler
                      @perfectfifths

@emily-d I think I read that, but I’ve only read it once, and I don’t quite remember 🙂 But I’m sure I would have, because Banjo Patterson 😉

Emily D
                        @emily-d

@perfectfifths He’s so good! 🙂

@dragon-snapper
                          Question: What slang do you think Aussies use? I was just intrigued!

Emily D
                          @emily-d

@louise-fowler @dragon-snapper @rolena-hatfield Have any of you seen The Scarlet Pimpernel?

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 53

@dragon-snapper ooo, yes, what slang do we Aussies use?

Snapper
                              @dragon-snapper
                                • Total Posts: 3515

@holly-nelson-gray @emily-d Now I’m afraid to answer. 😛
                                Well, mainly for me, it’s ‘mate’. If you’re trying to sound Australian in America, you use your all’s accent, and then you add ‘mate’ to the beginning or end of your sentence. 😀
                                Does it ever seem like Americans have slang to you?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 53

@dragon-snapper Sorry! We weren’t trying to scare you!!! For me, mate and cheers are probably typical Aussie slang. I can’t say I’ve ever really thought about Americans having slang words… I guess I’ve just thought more about different words for the same thing, eg bin/trash can?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 382 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >