It Began Long Ago…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions It Began Long Ago…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

We all have that story tucked somewhere away in our memory, even if we destroyed it as soon as we got serious about writing. It’s a sad fact of life. The things you want most to forget stick with you the longest.

Your first story, guys. How did it all start? It’s time to ‘fess up.

I’ll go first, since it’s only fair. My first story was written in a little black leather notebook, with a golden pen the length of my thumb. I was… eight at the time, I think. I still have it memorized, though I have long since torn it out and thrown it away. Are you ready? This is how it all started…

‘One morn, a dove was loving another bird.’

That is not a joke, and I absolutely forbid any of you to even consider using it as blackmail.

Now it’s your turn.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

I don’t know when I wrote my first creative writing piece, but I remember for this paper that I wrote for a writing class I was taking, I wrote about a talking donkey that appointed the pope to be archbishop of Canterbury. I have no idea what that story was supposed to be about, but I guess it ended up creative. I think I was nine.

My first real attempt at writing a creative piece was this short story I wrote back when I was 14. I think the writing was actually decent, but it was frighteningly Hentyish. Frighteningly Yeeaahhh, I’ve come a ways since then.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ivy Rose
        @ivy-rose
          • Total Posts: 102

The first story I remember writing was when I was seven. I wrote it with a pink pen in a red notebook…I still have it. 🙂 My parents tell me that I was dictating little stories to them when I was around four or five (my mom taught me to read when I was three), but I don’t have any memories of those.

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@Daeus… a talking donkey that appointed the pope to be archbishop of Canterbury. Hm. Well, you certainly went after the creative part, didn’t you? 😀
            And YES. It is frightening, when I go back to my first ‘novel’ and read it, to find that it is practically a clone of Henty style and Henty plot. *pout* It’s not funny in the least.

@ivy-rose
            aw a pink pen in a red notebook… how cute. 😛

See guys? We’ve come a long way.

Rosey Mucklestone
            @writefury
              • Total Posts: 467

There were two that I made when I was around 7 or 8. One was, I quote: “THE GiNENT: A TALE ov FAiTH”.
              It was about 2 guys who were walking along and see a giant (the titular “Ginent”). The guy who doesn’t believe in God runs away and the giant stomps on him. The guy who does believe in God stops in his tracks, kneels down and prays.
              After the giant is done stomping the first guy, he turns to stomp the second guy. The second guy remembers the story of David and Goliath, throws a rock, and kills the giant.
              I really thought this was a heart rending, killer sermon to bring people to God when I made it. 😛

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

That… is totally adorable. And I completely know what it is to idolize your first works as something incredible, something that will change lives and draw people to the light… and then you go back and read them a few years later and you’re just like… ‘what was I thinking?’

But hey! It had to start somewhere.

Rolena Hatfield
                @rolena-hatfield
                  • Total Posts: 405

I was about 9 when I wrote my first story that was literally one page long. I know I still have it somewhere around here… I could never bear to throw any of my stories away, no matter how awful they were 🙂
                  Anyway, my first story started out with this line “A mother loon flew over a shimmering moon lit lake…” and it goes on to tell about a her baby loon who falls out of it’s nest, is nearly eaten by a predator, is rescued by mother and father loon and ends with more description about the pretty moon light.
                  After it’s completion, it was then proudly presented to my family over the dinner table 🙂

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Daeus
                  @daeus
                    • Total Posts: 4238

You know Rolena, all you need is an illustrator and you’ve got a children’s book.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Amanda Fischer
                    @wordfitlyspoken
                      • Total Posts: 79

I don’t remember my first stories, because I’ve basically been making them up since I was a wee thing. The first old stories that I have the originals of? A four-book series ripoff of the Magic Tree House books. I named the characters after a brother and sister who were friends of my family at the time, and even wrote their actual address in the book…oops. Hehe.

Since then, there was Amelia Bedelia ripoffs, a laughable attempt at a “moral” story, a story about two girls who were supposedly friends but fought a lot, a book about a princess who ran away because she didn’t want to wear a fancy dress and go to a ball, an unfinished story about–get this–a family of dandelions and wild daisies. *bows*

Okay, I ‘fessed up. Laugh away. But my first decent work (in size, writing style, and plot) was written about two years ago. I started it because of the little bit of advice “write the story you want to read.” Well, I wanted to read a book about a big family like mine, so I wrote one. It was hardly a perfect attempt–I didn’t have a plot in mind when I started, so I had to scrap the whole thing and start over, and then I tried writing it “message first” rather than “story first,” which caused a whole other batch of problems. But overall, I did the best I could with it, and I’m pleased with it for my level back then. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

@rolena-hatfield— your first attempt sounds actually much better than mine. It actually sounds like it would work out— like it would actually hold someone’s interest fairly well. Good for you!

@wordfitlyspoken
                        : a family of dandelions and wild daisies, huh? Sounds… um… creative! 😛
                        I know exactly what you mean by ‘write the story you want to read’. It’s great that you’re writing a story about a big family! I’ve tried squeezing big families into my fantasies, but for the most part it just ends up cluttering the work with a lot of unnecessary characters.

So I save the big families for historical fiction. 😀

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

Alright…but I was only 8. I don’t have the exact words of the story, but this is pretty much it.

Hope and Joy went to the park. A dog ran at them. An angel came and scared the dog away.
                          The End

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

Hahahahahaha! That’s what you call short and sweet right there, Hope. Setting. Conflict. Climax. Resolution.

That’s your basic story.

Amanda Fischer
                            @wordfitlyspoken
                              • Total Posts: 79

@Kate Oh, I already finished that story, it was about a year and a half ago. 🙂 It’s true that it’s quite hard to balance all those characters and give them all an important role in the story. I don’t think I quite got the hang of it, but I’ll try it again sometime.

Little Brown Dog
                              @howlingwolf
                                • Total Posts: 63

Oh… xP I have one. This is very sad, but i was in love with the second story i wrote and convinced by dad to self-publish it for me on the kindle. he did. don’t ever read it. I will die.

But my first story i remember was a story about these kids who could travel to this other world and stuff. like Narnia. Like the rest of you guys though, i have been writing from i was 3. I would draw scribble lines on papers then “read” them to my mom. She saved some of my “books” from then!xP

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >