Irrational or Rational?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Irrational or Rational?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien
      • Total Posts: 440

@inkling-for-christ

This is an awesome idea! For some reason it seems like breaking-cliche for the writers to be the ones that are shunned and looked down on.

Sam has a point about how we technically could call dreaming irrational, since ration is logic, and dreaming is most usually not logic. But I defend dreaming with everything I’ve got. Dreams, both kinds, the night kind, and the in the day dreaming of what I want to do or where I want to be, can help us as people. They inspire us. Help us work towards what we want. Provide good laughs when your friend tells you she had a dream you were kidnapped by eagles and became queen of the mountain.

And I totally agree with @supermonkey42. I have had enough of the handsome, sports-star, super athletic and super charming guys for once. Let’s have some guys with glasses and shaggy hair, crooked noses and dull eyes, who are awkward, and clumsy, but nice people, who can’t lift a hundred pounds, but can listen to you, and have fun playing Frisbee, and like talking about things other than how awesome they are, who maybe aren’t the most charming, but can tell a funny story.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 95

@anne-of-lothlorien, and @supermonkey42. I totally get you guys. I mean I won’t deny that we need some math. I do not plan to make my MC so stereo type. He’s more quiet, not as tall would rather write instead of sports. enjoys talking to people

NC Stokes
        @daughteroftheking
          • Total Posts: 1156

@inkling-for-Christ Oo, him being the son of the governor really puts the pressure on him. *rubs hands together*

And yes, I love the Igyfeathers! *ahem* The Wingabys! Oh well, you know what I mean. 😀 Do you have a favorite character?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by NC Stokes. Reason: Tags, my nemisis, we meet again!

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Anonymous

@daughteroftheking, I like that too. It gives the story a little something extra to deal with. However, I am having a lot of trouble getting the story going. I have a story mountain and I’ve done character sketches but I just can’t seem to get it going. I know how the last half of the book will go though.

@sam-kowal
            , what ways do you suggest I could use sci/mat to aid in the cause? I think it would be neat to unite the two (even though I would like to totally disregard math).

Sam Kowal
            @sam-kowal
              • Total Posts: 635

@inkling-for-christ

Yeah, that’s a good idea 😀

You can show how close to dreaming science and math actually can get, to start with. Some of the world’s greatest scientists unfolded some of the greatest secrets in the world because they were dreamers, and dreamed beyond what others thought was possible. And then made discoveries no one thought was possible. Also, especially in the realm of theory, there can be nearly as much dreaming in math and science as in fiction. It’s just buried more deeply.

And secondly, on the practical side of all the math/science people, a society needs at least some of that in order to function. Buildings are made safe by engineers, computers run off of math. And so, they could unite simply by common necessity, that in order for society to work, all kinds of people need to be included.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Sam Kowal.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
              Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

itisastarrynight
              @itisastarrynight
                • Total Posts: 134

@supermonkey42 YES. I hate it when people act like logic is inherently evil. Well put 🙂
                Also, @inkling-for-christ The scene you shared sounds cool 🙂 I would have never thought to make the opening scene start with characters other than the POV. It has an interesting feel to it.

I can't believe it's not butter!

Anonymous

does anyone have any ideas. I can’t seem to get the story moving so I started in the middle and am getting a fair deal. I’m worried that i might go over on the info dumping or it will just be mundain. I may see if I can attach my outline and get some help.

Anonymous

@supermonkey42, @itisastarrynight, @daughteroftheking, @anne-of-lothlorien, @dekreel

oops I forgot to put the tags in

Ben Powell
                    @supermonkey42
                      • Total Posts: 273

@inkling-for-christ Um…

Maybe there’s an inspector or someone who discovers the MC’s “problems” and takes him away to a special school for nonconformists. Then he could meet other people like him, or maybe he meets an engineer-in-training who has a wild imagination (which made him also a nonconformist.) He could teach the engineer how to dream.

Or maybe the MC writes in a journal often, and when the aforementioned inspector finds it he’s overwhelmed by its beauty and secretly begins to change his mind about dreamers and writers.

Do either of those fit the story? An outline would allow for more detailed suggestions. 🙂

A Kapeefer for life!
                      Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

PrincessFoo
                      @princessfoo
                        • Total Posts: 194

@inkling-for-christ This seems like a cool story. Maybe you could have a character that is like a mathematical/scientific/engineering genius who secretly is a dreamer, and uses his logic skills to help the dreamers. Like if he was an engineer he might make a secret room for them to meet and do their art.

I don’t know if this is relevant, but maybe it will spark some ideas. When I think of dreamers and creativity and stuff I think of splashes of bold colors. You’d think logic people want everything white and clean. But certain colors have certain effects on the brain (blue calms it down, and purple simulates it, or something like that) and I think it would be interesting if the logical people utilized that in some way. Making their schools purple so the brain is more awake and learns more, but making the preschools blue to calm the toddlers down.

Anonymous

@princessfoo, ironically, that is what happened. I got a little farther last night and found an interesting twist where a dreamer close to the MC has used science to help him hide and has made himself conform.

@supermonkey42
                          , yes those ideas are very helpful. I’m sure I will use them at somepoint

itisastarrynight
                          @itisastarrynight
                            • Total Posts: 134

@inkling-for-christ I would work on developing the internal conflict before handling any exterior threats or things that happen. *shrugs*
                            Who is the main antagonist? Why? How does it relate to your MC in a painfully personal way?
                            After all, a story is just about the protagonist and how he grows to defeat the antagonist. But that can mean more than one thing, more than just punching the bad guy. The MC wins when he is over the internal conflict and moves past the antagonist’s opinions, and most importantly, his own. I’m sure you you already know about creating conflict in a story, but I thought I would mention that there’s more to a story than what happens to the MC. Develop the  internal conflict. Go for it! KP has plenty of articles on creating villains and conflict I think.
                            Unless the story is more Him vs Environment.. Good luck.

I can't believe it's not butter!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >