Ink/ calligraphy

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Art Ink/ calligraphy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David
    @david
      • Total Posts: 20

Although it is historically inaccurate, this is one of my best ink drawings. Ink is fun to use, though you do need to be careful because mistakes can not be erased.

whaling

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

Tell me about mistakes and ink. *Grrrr* But…that’s right…great job.
        Argh, forgot the tag for the last lot. So I’ll tag you now. @david.

Greta
        @gretald
          • Total Posts: 450

Another awesome drawing! @david

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Nice— yes, ink definitely has its problems. 😛 It’s kind of like woodburning— have you heard of that, @david? Basically you take a really hot metal pen and burn a drawing or words into wood. It’s really fun, and the end results can be awesome if you know what you’re doing.

David
            @david

@Kate-Flournoy, I did try wood burning once; I made a beautiful picture of a ring- necked pigeon and then ruined it by burning the background in an attempt to make it a night-time portrait. I may try it again at some point. Ink blots can be a problem, but I usually solve them by transforming them into buckets or shark fins and suchlike. ( If you look carefully, you will notice that the rope bucket behind the whaler in the lower left rowboat used to be a muffed head.)

David
              @david

tortiose

This is my first stippling. Stippling is tedious, and I have not done it in several years. However, the results are well worth the work.

BlueJay
                @bluejay
                  • Total Posts: 1622

Wow! @david. That looks really amazing…awesome…beautiful…wonderful…*goes to dictionary to find more words.* 🙂
                  (P.S. I like your D in your name when you sign it. Very creative.)

David
                  @david

@Bluejay, thank you! Stippling takes a lot of time and patience, but I think that it’s results are the most realistic of all inkwork. It seems that it would work best for drawing animals with rough skin(crabs, reptiles, etc…), and I have seen a few stippled portraits of people. This was my first drawing with my own ink pens, and it suffered from my first blot( which you will see in the center of the left forward scute). I hope to do more stippling when I am able.

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

Ooh, that’s a lovely tortoise @David! Do you like working with geometric forms like that better, or just winging it however it flows? 🙂

David
                      @david

@Kate-Flournoy, thankyou for the compliments. I had not realized that the tortoise employed geometric patterns, so I guess I just like winging it. It does seem that stippling works best when depicting subjects with rough textures like reptiles and crustaceans. I do like doing artwork as it flows; I have to be in the right mood to draw because pictures look lousy when they are forced. Sorry I took so long to get back to you.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by David.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >