In Honor of Valentine's Day…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions In Honor of Valentine's Day…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

Hi Everyone!  In honor of Valentine’s day I’m starting a topic where I’m going to ask you if you remember any of your character crushes! 😀

Do you remember falling in love with a character in a book and wishing they were real?  Who was he/she?

(This is not for tv/movie crushes.  Those are real people.  I’m talking about the purely imaginatory people in books you’ve read.)

A couple of mine are:

• Mikkel, from the Viking Quest series; The poor guy was hated through nearly the entire series!  To be honest, though, he kind of deserved it at first. 😀
      • Has anyone read the American Adventure Series?  I liked several of the guys in that 42-book-long saga.
      • Bill, from the Patty Fairfield series by Carolyn Wells; The huge Westerner was strong and confident, but really sweet at the same time.
      • Prince Caspian from Narnia; I was so disappointed when he ended up reappearing as an old man! 🙁
      • I’m sure there are more, but I can’t think of anyone else right now. 😀

So, tagging @seekjustice @dekreel @jenwriter17 @kaya-young @clairec @anyone-else

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine

Um, I guess you could also count one of your own characters?  Not in a story you read, but a story you wrote. :p

But then analyzing the fact that they were created by you could end up confusing…who do you really love?  Yourself, since you created the character?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Joy
        @dekreel
          • Total Posts: 2304

@rochellaine HAHA this is a funny topic!

I find Calvin from Wrinkle in Time admirable, just not cute

Lessee… I’ve always really liked this guy named Victor from a children’s series I tried to write a few years ago. He’s adorable XD

Who else… Um… *COUGHharrypotterCOUGH* So yeah…

Janner from The Wingfeather Saga

And maybe one or two others *blushes*

You can pronounce it however you want.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@dekreel *Winks* That’s why I started it! 😀

Ohh, I think I really need to read The Wingfeather Saga.  I’ve heard a lot of good things about it!  🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

ClaireC
            @clairec
              • Total Posts: 628

@rochellaine, oooooh, good topic choice! 😉

Um, well, I’ve never had a crush at all, but guys in books that I think are likeable…

I agree with your choice of Mikkel. He had a great character arc, meaning he never seemed like a villain, but more of a second protagonist who didn’t see eye-to-eye with Bree. Also, I was waiting and waiting for him and Bree to get married!  So, yeah, thank goodness Lois Walfred Johnson met expectations! 😛

Prince Caspian? Yes. I don’t like that he falls in love with Susan in the movie (which I haven’t seen).

You guys wouldn’t know this book series, being Americans and all, but it’s probably the greatest series of all time. Just saying.

Billabong by Mary Grant Bruce, 1939. (Yes, they’re old. Old books are the best!)

She crafts the most amazing characters, gripping, but not ridiculous or unbelievable, tales, and lots and lots of horses! 😉 You can get (as ebooks) the first two and a couple from later in the series for free from Project Gutenburg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/1371

I highly recommend them, especially if you want to know a bit more about Australia’s history.

Anyways, I got a bit sidetracked there, but Jim and Wally, are awesome. They’re so likeable, and down to earth, and very funny without being remotely rude or cheap. Jim is Norah’s (the protagonist) brother, and Wally, an orphan, is his ‘chum’. The three of them grow up as siblings.

Okay, okay. I’ll stop now. *sheepish grin* *walks away slowly*

*comes running back*

READ THEM!!!

Sorry, I promise I’m done. 😉

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@clairec Yes, Mikkel and Bree are both amazing!  (I almost got mad at Tully when Mikkel found out about him…) Have you read the other Lois Walfrid Johnson series?

Guess what?  I actually have heard of the Billabong series. (I have no idea where!) But never read them, so I’ll look them up!  And they’re not as old as most books I read!  The Patty series I mentioned was written from about 1907 to 1918. 😀  I use Gutenberg a lot for old public domain books.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17
                  • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine lol, this topic!

well, I’ve never had a crush on a character, but I really liked the guys in Chuck Black’s books. and I liked Jude in A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes.

there may be more, but they’re not coming to mind… 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                  www.jennaterese.com

LivGiordano
                  @livgiordano
                    • Total Posts: 86

@rochellaine Well, this is fun! *coughs* Some of the guys are in books not yet published from Ydubbers. Like someone named Ian. *coughs* Let’s just say he’s pretty awesome.

And from actually published books…

I would have to say Nat from the Witch of Blackbird Pond. Also Drew from the Wars of the Realm trilogy. Ooh, and I have one that’s more than a crush. He’s just so amazing. *coughs* Angus from the Crown and Covenant series. If you read the books, you’ll understand.

www.livforhim.wordpress.com

ClaireC
                    @clairec
                      • Total Posts: 628

@rochellaine, you have??? That’s amazing! Definitely look them up. You can only get a few on kindle, but they’re still worth the read.

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 95

(*nervous laughter) ah um uh. Faramir from LOTR for sure. Peter from Narnia was always a fav. Gee guess I never thought about it…

LivGiordano
                        @livgiordano
                          • Total Posts: 86

Ohh. @inkling-for-christ Those two are definitely on the list. Haha. There’s so many though.

www.livforhim.wordpress.com

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice
                            • Total Posts: 3365

@clairec Ooh!! Ooh!! I’ve read some of the Billabong books (because every Australian girl as need of A Little Bushmaid) but not all of them. Now I desperately need to do a reread. I remember like Wally and Jim!

As to the crushes I’ve had….

-Percy Blakeney in The Scarlet Pimpernel

-Henry Tilney in Northanger Abbey (the only Jane Austen book I’ve enjoyed, and mostly because of Mr Tilney, if we’re being honest)

-Enjolras from Les Miserables (I wouldn’t say I had a crush on him, but seriously, he’s fascinating and every female reader is inexplicably attracted to him)

-And Combeferre, also from Les Mis (just because he reminds me of myself and I feel like we would get along very well)

-Galahad and Percival from every version of King Arthur I’ve ever read

-Sydney Carton in A Tale of Two Cities (except that Sydney doesn’t deserve merely a crush, he deserves undying love)

*looks back over long list* *blushes*

Hey, I’ve been reading for a long time.

(Also @rochellaine I kind of have a crush on Quillon)

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Kaya Young
                            @kaya-young
                              • Total Posts: 272

@rochellaine Hhmm.. Well I really like Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables, and I totally side with  @livgiordano about Nat from The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Owen from The Kingfountain books though… I would quite possibly marry him if he was real.

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
                              http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 95

I never really thought about book buds. Movies are easier but books can I just say I have a liking for books.

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@jenwriter17 I like several of the guys in Chuck Black’s books, too.  I especially liked Leinad, Gavinaugh, and Dalton.  (I was so happy when Dalton and Carliss finally ended up together.)

@livgiordano
                                  I liked Drew pretty well in the first book.  I didn’t end up reading the sequels because I heard they didn’t end well. 🙁  Oh, the Crown and Covenant series!  I liked Angus a lot too.  I think I liked Duncan better, though.  He was really cute when he was arguing with the girl about religion.  Angus had funny ways of protecting his sister, though…Chess, anyone?

@seekjustice
                                  “My strength is as the strength of ten because my heart is pure…” Galahad is wonderful!  Oh, Quillon…I had a hunch you’d say something about him.  But how can you love someone and contemplate killing them at the same time?  Sounds like you need to see a psychiatrist. 😀

I think I’ll fall in love with Derek once I write him, but I don’t know him very well yet. 🙂

(I’ve got a long list too, but I wanted to see how the topic would catch on before baring my heart so completely…)

@kaya-young
                                  I liked Gilbert too, but my favorite male character from the Anne series is Kenneth, from Rilla of Ingleside.  Ah, yes, there are many proposals I’d be sure to accept from the wonderful men in books.  Could we ever meet such knights in real life? 😀 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >