I need writing books! Help!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions I need writing books! Help!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 115

Hi! I’m looking for books on writing novels. I was having trouble with the way my curriculum was telling  me to write. It was too restraining, so, my parents (who are awesome!) are letting me try something different. So, are there any books you have read that were any good? I’m looking for any recommendations.

Tagging people I remember their tags XD: @daeus @emily @catwing @ingridrd @gabbyj @daughteroftheking @xonos-darkgrate @sarah-anson @atarea ? @dekreel

Anonymous

Retry. @aratrea

Brandon Miller
        @brandon-miller
          • Total Posts: 42

Hey so unofficial staff recommendation:

Go Teen Writers is the best big picture craft book I have ever read. I would start with that.

If you are writing speculative fiction, Jill Williamson’s Storyworld First is also a must. (It’s really short and should be read with a notepad near at hand.)

I’ve only read a little of his stuff, but Jeff Gerke is also very good at explaining heady concepts.

Also, on the off chance that the curriculum you are referring to is OYAN, I beg you to stick with it. It can be restrictive, but that is only to encourage accelerated growth by creating focus. Even if you have to put your WIP aside for the year and write something that fits in OYAN’s mold, it is so very sorry it. I know of literally zero writing resources as comprehensive and wonderful as OYAN.

If you are not currently taking One Year Adventure Novel, I would add it to the top of my recommendations list.

Josiah DeGraaf
          @aratrea
            • Total Posts: 717

@allison-grace I have a lot of recommendations. Have you checked out our resource library yet? We’ve got our official staff recommendations in there, and I’d just be repeating what I’ve already written there. xD

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

NC Stokes
            @daughteroftheking
              • Total Posts: 1156

@Allison-grace Hmmm… *strikes a dramatic thinking pose* Writer’s Ink is good. It may not be what you’re after, as it’s more about grammar and writing school reports than about writing fiction. There’s good stuff about poetry in it, though.

*is tired from standing in dramatic thinking pose* *disappears in a cloud of whipped cream*

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

NC Stokes
              @daughteroftheking
                • Total Posts: 1156

@Allison-grace Woops. The book is actually called Writer’s Inc. *pretends not to feel silly* *walks away whistling inconspicuously*

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 95

Hi, @allison-grace, one of my favorite writers help books is Spilling Ink by Anne Mazer. Also, you can go to your local library and they will usually have a good sized section on writing books. “Books on books” as I call them. That was how I learned to write was by reading books Another one is called “So you want to be a writer” by Vicki Hambelton. Hope those help!

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice
                    • Total Posts: 3365

Writing Christian Fiction by Ron Benrey is the best book on writing at all that I have ever read and is focussed, obviously, on Christian fiction in general. I’ve heard a lot of people say the Go Teen Writers Book is good too, but I’ve never actually read it. I hope that`s helpful @Allison-grace

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by SeekJustice.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 1330

@allison-grace Unfortunately, I’ve never attempted any novels, so I can’t help you here. I don’t know of any writing books either. 😉

Anonymous

Thanks! I have looked at some of the books, and I will have to look at the others!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >