I need inspiration!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions I need inspiration!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    EpicAddie2
    @epicaddie2
      • Total Posts: 794

Lately I haven’t been writing much because, well, I have ZERO inspiration.

Do you guys have tips for becoming inspired to write?

@shannon @emily @catwing @dragon-snapper @daeus @daughteroftheking @anyone else

INFJ ~ 4w5
      aldarley.wordpress.com

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1330

@epicaddie2 I would love to help but I’ve actually been struggling with the same thing. It’s really irritating. I feel like I could write a full length novel, but I can’t think of anything to write about. I think that fantasy would be fun to write, but what? In other words, I need help too. 😉

Catwing
        @catwing
          • Total Posts: 2557

@epicaddie2 Inspiration ideas? Here’s a few things…

Look at the inspiration board on KP.

Look at the clouds, trees, ceiling/walls (If they’re patterned), etc., and they to figure out what the blobs look like. It’s like the cloud shape game but with other things too. I like watching the clouds if we’re on a road trip cause they move more, and as I figure out what they are they change. So when they change the story progresses… Or changes.

Think of a few ridiculous or random things. (A sword that can make frogs happy.) *shrug*

Read a really good book. Sometimes this makes me want to write.

Draw your characters. Or an important object in your book.

Is that what you meant? Is that helpful? Are you stuck on getting a book idea or what to happen next?

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 859

@epicaddie2, I’m so sorry, but I have absolutely no ideas for you. I really don’t write that often, so when I do it’s usually ’cause I got a really good story idea somewhere. I have so many hobbies, I can’t focus on one *shrugs*

Sam Kowal
            @sam-kowal
              • Total Posts: 635

@epicaddie2 @emily

This is a different question for me, because I never run out of inspiration for my writing. I usually just majorly fail in executing correctly the ideas I’m eager to write, so the story ends up not at all how I want it.

Inspiration has to come from inside of you, (obviously, it’s not on sale on Amazon)

So, that in mind, I would say,

1. Write what you’re passionate about.

J.R.R. Tolkien was a major language enthusiast, which is why he came up with practically his own language for Lord of the Rings. Since it was a such a good fantasy work, some people now assume THEY have to create their own language too, but since they don’t love grammar and words like he did, they end up feeling bored and uninspired. Put into your writing the things you like. If you’re really into toothpaste brands, write about a society where evil dragons attack the land and people use acidic toothpaste to destroy their fangs. If you’re a musician, write about an orphan girl who makes a bid to get into the king’s court as an entertainer and learn music from one of the kingdom’s great masters. Or maybe not the toothpaste one, actually. 😀

2. Make yourself write

Even if you don’t feel inspired at all, set a certain amount of words to write every day. And even if you’re just writing “There was a girl. She had brown eyes. She went to school” but you keep trying to improve it, then you’ll start to have a flow.

3. Think about awesomeness

This one is kind of hard to explain, so I’ll probably fail. But I mean here, is, start your story off with an idea that you think is awesome. What are your favorite stories? What makes you like them? Think about that, and then come up with an idea. Starting with a character usually works for me. Picture a girl. Think about her. What makes her awesome? What is she like on the inside? Then fill in the world around her. Why is she walking on a dusty street alone? Why is she holding a toothbru— I mean, torn up letter?

So anyway, hopefully that will help. But I think inspiration is one of those things you’re more on your own with, rather than writing technique or more solid things

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
              Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

EpicAddie2
              @epicaddie2

@catwing Great advice! Thank you! *decides to go outside and watch clouds* *realizes it’s dark out* Oh well. Tomorrow will have to do, I suppose.

@sam-kowal
                Thank you! *hands you a toothbrush* Erm, for the great advice. You could use it for Stan…?

@emily You should take @catwing’s and @samkowal’s advice, then. 😉

@shannon It’s fine 😉 Completely understandable!

INFJ ~ 4w5
                aldarley.wordpress.com

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 1330

@catwing Interesting. Thanks for the advice. (even though it was meant for epicaddie, I was planning on starting a topic like this for a while).

@sam-kowal
                  Oooh! Great ideas. *goes to write about a girl*

Catwing
                  @catwing
                    • Total Posts: 2557

@epicaddie2 Thanks! 😉

@emily It was for everybody.

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Sam Kowal
                    @sam-kowal
                      • Total Posts: 635

@epicaddie2 Thanks:D

Stan can ALWAYS use another toothbrush

@emily Thanks ;D

Starting with a character I really like is one of my favorite things to do

And then making myself finish…well that’s another thing altogether

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                      Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

NC Stokes
                      @daughteroftheking
                        • Total Posts: 1156

@epicaddie2 *sneaks in unnoticed like a Ranger* *suddenly speaks up and makes everyone jump* Surprise surprise, I also struggle with this! But, here are some things that help me out when my inspiration decides it needs to be somewhere else.

– Think out loud. I’m an introvert that likes to mull over things in my head, but it helps me if I’m forced to explain details to someone else. Even if they’re not listening. It makes me think of things I hadn’t thought of before.

– MUSIC. I get so many ideas listening to music. And not necessarily my normal instrumental writing music. Music with words that remind me of a character are my favorite, because they often give me ideas for that character. But, inspiration for anything could come from songs. MUSIC!!!

– Read about something cool. Like, a really neat book, a recent scientific discovery, or even something from the Bible.

– Once you’ve got something you want to write about, WRITE. Even if it sounds silly on paper. In fact, it’s probably going to. Force yourself to write. Even if you’re cringing and hoping no one ever reads it.

– Find an environment that makes you want to write. Not necessarily a certain place, though that could work. For example, I like to write with a blanket wrapped around my shoulders and pretend it’s a cloak. I’m weird. I also like to have something I can fidget with to keep my hands busy while I stare at the blank page think deep thoughts.

Hope that is more helpful than silly! 😀 *disappears to whence she came*

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by NC Stokes.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

J.A. Penrose
                        @jess-penrose
                          • Total Posts: 377

Ooooh, getting Inspiration? I spend a lot of time trying to come up with ways to Inspire people.

Music does a lot for me, along with Pinterest. Music is more for Inspiration on emotions and scenes, while the many images on Pinterest spark up dreams of these people. Who are they? What is their story?

I like to try and question the motives of people, hunting for why they do things. Coming up with a question, and then answering through the story. That’s one of the main premises of creating a story.

Also, being super bored is good. Then ideas pop into your head.

Try making a generic, boring plotline, then totally altering it. For example, my current WIP has an ancient prophecy, a Chosen One who has this awesome gift and a cool sidekick. The twist? The Chosen One doesn’t want to save the world.

Try something like that. Take the stereotypical story and then turn it on its head. Also, don’t bother with procrastinating. It really is a waste of time. xD

Writer | Freelance Editor
                          Inspiration&lt

TheAcornman
                          @theacornman
                            • Total Posts: 125

@epicaddie2 You can choose to completely ignore this. But for me if writers only ever relied on inspiration they’d hardly ever get anything done. It is fantastic when you do get inspired, don’t get me wrong.

Sometimes, however, you have to force yourself to write. Even if what you are writing feels horrible. Even, as you say, when inspiration is lacking. Afterall it is a first draft and can be edited. And if you hadn’t written anything in the first place how are you going to improve it?

I know it is easier said then done. Writing regularly and consistently is hard. I often struggle with inspiration as well. If you can get inspiration, great. Use it. If you can’t push yourself to write.

However, one of the best ways of getting inspired is learning to trust God with your writing. Pray to him every time before you write for that inspiration you lack. Pray for the removal of writer’s block. (Also I ask God to speak to me through music which can help). At the end of the day when you are writing you are worshipping God.

That one English guy.

Emily D
                            @emily-d
                              • Total Posts: 168

@epicaddie2  Hey Addie!  (Me again!)  So, very, very recently, I was in the exact same place!  I decided to go read Proverbs for inspiration for a moral…It was so helpful.  Because, ( @theacornman  I love that last paragraph) I mean, God is the ultimate writer and His Holy Spirit was the one who inspired people to write the Bible: the most important book ever.  So He can help you more than anyone, right?  I try to pray about my writing journey every day.  And it does make a BIG difference!  Even you just try to write a tiny bit, or read some good writing articles…you might want to check out the new article by Moriah Simonowich if you haven’t already: Six Tips to Help the Unmotivated Writer Thrive Again.  Blessings 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Emily D.

I tell my story. Not so that I get glory, but so that others may know Hope.

Ingrid
                              @ingridrd
                                • Total Posts: 830

@epicaddie2  Hmmm…I find it’s very helpful to go outside.  Sometimes just sitting on my front porch while it’s raining, or while a soft breeze is blowing can remove my writer’s block.  Inspiration is everywhere.  🙂

Also, if you’re looking for a new story to write here are a couple ideas: a story from the perspective of candy on halloween, a story from the perspective of a teacher on the first day of school, or a story that is a series of letters.  Hope this helps some!  🙂

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

EpicAddie2
                                @epicaddie2

I go to sleep for seven hours and I come back and there’s TONS of helpful information. Thank you!!! I think I’ll be doing lots of writing today! 😊

@daughteroftheking
                                  @jess-penrose @theacornman @emily-d @ingridrd

INFJ ~ 4w5
                                  aldarley.wordpress.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >