I Gotta Get Me Some Writing Books

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Non-Fiction I Gotta Get Me Some Writing Books

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1486

Hey Keepers! (Yes, I’m still old school like that)

Since I’m not in school at the moment, I want to get ahold of as many writing books as possible to continue my education in that area. I know anything from K.M.Weiland is good and have a few other books in mind, but I wanted to know what you guys think. What are your favorite books on fiction writing? What about your favorite books on marketing for the fiction writer?

Many thanks!

Oh, and side note: Has anyone read Beginning’s, Middles, and Ends by Nancy Kress, and what did they think of it? It’s one of the books I’m considering buying.

Tagging: @Kate-flournoy @sierra-r @Brandon-Miller @aratrea @Dragon-snapper @Daeus @Hope @ethryndal @that_writer_girl_99 @Mark-kamibaya @anyone else who feels compelled to answer

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@winter-rose The KP resource library has a list of good writing books I would check out.

As for marketing books, I’d recommend Your First 10,000 Readers and The Book Launch Blueprint by Tim Grahl. I think those are probably the most solid marketing books I’ve read. I remember How To Market A Book by Joanna Pen having some good ideas too. You may also want to look at some podcasts if you have the time for those.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Brandon Miller
        @brandon-miller
          • Total Posts: 42

My absolute favorite is “Go Teen Writers” by Jill Williamson and Stephanie Morrill.  Right now I’m reading “The Art of War for Writers” and I think I like it.  Jeff Gerke’s “Writing Christian Fiction” was pretty grand, so I assume the rest of his are great as well.  (I’ve only heard good things.)

If you’re worldbuilding, “Storyworld First” is a must, but it’s more of a workbook, so bring a pencil.

Ethryndal
          @ethryndal
            • Total Posts: 1013

@Winter-Rose The Character and Emotion Thesauruses by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi are some of my favorite books ever, but they’re not really “writing” books in the traditional sense of the word. Everything else I’ve read is K.M. Weiland.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Anon
            @theliterarycrusader
              • Total Posts: 64

@winter-rose I highly recommend all the books in C.S. Lakin’s Writer’s Toolbox series, as well as The Irresistible Novel and The Art and Craft of Writing Christian Fiction by Jeff Gerke, everything by K.M. Weiland, and The Christian Imagination by Leland Ryken.

Anonymous

Thanks guys! You’ve given me a lot to look at.

@daeus
                Sweet! I checked the list out and it looks like there are some great books on there.  Thanks for the suggestions. Joanna Pen, she sounds familiar…

@Brandon-Miller
                Ah, Jill Williamson. I like her. I’ll have to check those out. StoryWorld First sounds like it would be good for me. I get so disorganized when it comes to world building.

@ethryndal
                I have the Emotion thesaurus, though I haven’t yet purchased the other ones. I may have to splurge on them. 😀 Do you have a favorite?

@theliterarycrusader
                I will look into those. I actually read a bit of The Christian Imagination for a Comp class and loved it. It’s good to know I’m on the right track. Perhaps that book needs a reread.

The fledgling Artist
                @notawriter
                  • Total Posts: 328

@winter-rose

Have you ever heard of
                  The positive Trait thesaurus:A Writers Guide to Character attributes. By Angela Ackerman? Its really cool!
                  She also has a negative trait one, an emotion one, an urban setting one.. and a few more I think 🙂
                  My sister @introvert_girl has the negative trait one, the positive trait one, and the emotion one and they are all really cool! I love how they are set up.

and I was so confused

The fledgling Artist
                  @notawriter
                    • Total Posts: 328

oh! Ethrydal already mentioned it! (Beat me too it haha.)

and I was so confused

Anonymous

@notawriter Haha that’s ok, thanks anyway! It’s nice to know so many people recommend it. 🙂

Aislinn Mollisong
                      @aislinn-mollisong
                        • Total Posts: 445

Writing books? What are these things you Keepers speak of? *Is not completely joking* Who needs books when ya got Kingdom Pen!?

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                        https://forums.theaetherli

Anonymous

@Aislinn-mollisong Kingdom Pen is fantastic, but it’s helpful to immerse yourself into learning about storytelling in the form of a book, where the ideas are more connected (instead of taught in short articles) and in detail. 🙂  If you love learning about the different aspects of storytelling you’ll love writing books 🙂

Ethryndal
                          @ethryndal
                            • Total Posts: 1013

@Winter-Rose Well, the Emotions Thesaurus is my favorite, but you already have it so kudos to you. Positive Traits one is pretty awesome as well, particularly for developing the nitty-gritty details of a character.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >