Howdy!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @that_writer_girl_99
      • Total Posts: 1819

Totally understand. Maybe in time, you’ll join the dark side, @aviantrail.

Bad Star Wars humor aside, I really do understand. I’m in college too. Balancing classes and writing is quite the task, isn’t it? Yet strangely, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Being in college has taught me a lot about myself, and a lot of my determination in writing has come from struggling through past semesters.

Good luck!

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@aviantrail My Marvel knowledge is limited to movies too, though I wonder what the comics are like. Yes, Avengers are aaaaawesome! that’s cool that you got to have Cap’s personality!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

itisastarrynight
        @itisastarrynight
          • Total Posts: 134

Welcome to the forum, @aviantrail ! I’ve always wanted to keep fish. I’m homeschooled as well, though I am only on my first writing project.  My myers-briggs is INFJ. I’ve heard of the warrior cats series before and at one point i was going to read it, though I have not.

I can't believe it's not butter!

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice
            • Total Posts: 3365

@aviantrail

Welcome! I started writing from Warriors fanfiction too, but I haven’t read them in ages, I didn’t like the wauly they went after the second series. (However, I can safely say that Leafpool and Hollyleaf were my two least favourite characters in the whole thing).

I like the idea of your novel! I wrote a similar story about otters once, which I absolutely loved.

What sort of genres do you like reading?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Joy
            @dekreel
              • Total Posts: 2304

@aviantrail  Welcome to the bestest place in Cyberspace!!

I like your tag and profile picture!

So you’re a Star Wars fan! I like Star Wars, too, although I haven’t watched it in a long time. I have seen the new one though. And like @daeus and @that_writer_girl_99 , I also take fancy to Kylo X)

What are your favorite books, movies, and/or TV shows?

You can pronounce it however you want.

aviantrail
              @aviantrail
                • Total Posts: 12

@that_writer_girl_99 Thanks!

@jenwriter17
                Do you have a favorite Marvel movie?

@itisastarrynight
                Fishkeeping is fun, but to keep the fish healthy is a lot of work. At least with goldfish, because they’re pretty messy. What is the writing project you’re working on currently?

@seekjustice
                Now that I’m more knowledgable about writing, I would agree that Warriors went down sharply in quality after the first two series, but I sure loved all of them when I was younger! Haha, Hollyleaf was actually one of my favorite characters, perhaps because she was unusually well-developed. I think fantasy and mystery are probably my favorite genres, though I do like some slice-of-life and romance as well (mainly Jan Karon and Lynn Austin). How about you?

@dekreel
                Thanks! Oooh, that is a big question. For books, I like the Flavia de Luce mysteries, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and then pretty much anything by Agatha Christie, Lynn Austin, Jan Karon, P.G. Wodehouse, and Jane Austen. Lumping movies and TV shows together, I adore the 1995 Pride and Prejudice, which is probably my favorite out of both categories. Otherwise, my favorites include Up, most Star Wars, the animated Beauty and the Beast, the live-action Cinderella, and most movies with Humphrey Bogart, especially Sabrina. What are your favorites?

"Reflect that I may be an acquired taste... Give me the same chance you would an olive." –Psmith

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice
                  • Total Posts: 3365

@aviantrail

I love reading fantasy too! Mystery has never really been one of my favourite genres, but I do love the old Sherlock Holmes short stories. 😀  I usually read classics, historical fiction or fantasy, but there are a lot of books I like that don’t necessarily fit into any of those genres.

Oooh The Scarlet Pimpernel!!! That’s one of my favourite books. Who’s your favourite character? Have you read any of the other books in that series?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

aviantrail
                  @aviantrail

@seekjustice Ah yes, the old Sherlock Holmes. I read all of those, loved them, and couldn’t really get into the BBC Sherlock because they altered the characters so much.

Historical fiction is a lot of fun! Have you ever read any of Lynn Austin’s books that take place around the time of the Civil War? They’re very well-written, and to be honest, I bawled my eyes out reading them. (That doesn’t happen a lot with me, so that’s how I know they’re really good books.)

I don’t know if I necessarily have a favorite character, but Percy’s pretty cool, of course, and Marguerite had a lot of growth over the course of the story. One of my favorite things about the book is the opening line, because it just establishes the setting so well. Funny thing is, I haven’t actually read any of the other books. I don’t know why.

"Reflect that I may be an acquired taste... Give me the same chance you would an olive." –Psmith

Joy
                    @dekreel

@aviantrail  You’d like my Mom — she loooooooves Agatha Christie. I haven’t reed her books, but I’ve watched a few episodes of the TV show Poirot, which is based off her mystery series.

I have several favorite movies, including Finding Dory, Inside Out and Despicable Me. Doctor Who is my favorite TV show, and my favorite books are the Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson and Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Sam Kowal
                      @sam-kowal
                        • Total Posts: 635

@aviantrail 😀 I agree. And it’s interesting how the cats are written as likable characters that you can still connect to, even though they’re four-legged miniature felines and not actually people XD

Wow, your story sounds really cool. Fantasy is my favorite genre, and I like political intrigue and maneuvering, too. 😀 A jaguarundi! Does that happen to be a kind of flying jaguar? I have a lot of experience with odd animals (I have a sort of pet dragon named Stan who I rescued as a hatchling) but I’ve never been around anything so exotic as a jaguarundi.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                        Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

itisastarrynight
                        @itisastarrynight
                          • Total Posts: 134

@aviantrail A boy who want’s to become an astronaut, and something to do with an underwater sci-fi city. I know that’s pretty vague but it isn’t extremely developed yet.
                          Also have you seen the Agatha Christie film from the book Murder on the Orient Express ? I really liked it, though I am not very acquainted with her books. But maybe I’ll read them sometimes, as I do love a good mystery.

I can't believe it's not butter!

aviantrail
                          @aviantrail

@dekreel I’ve never watched Doctor Who, but so many people keep telling me that I should. Is there a particular season that you would recommend? I seem to recall that there are different actors who play the Doctor.

@sam-kowal
                            Thanks! A jaguarundi is actually one of the plainest cats around, but they have somehow ended up as my favorite wild cat species and I’m not sure why, haha. They are relatively small, about the size of a house cat or a little bigger, and they come in either plain, unmarked gray or red.

@itisastarrynight
                            Oooh, your story world sounds intriguing! I haven’t seen the new Murder on the Orient Express, but I would like to. I did see the TV episode of it, though. Agatha Christie really is a fantastic writer, and she also does really good suspense—like The Big Four or The Secret Adversary.

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 1352

@Aviantrail Welcome to KP! That’s cool you’re Captain America. He’s an ISFJ too. 😉 And also, *whispers* you definitely should read more of the Scarlet Pimpernel books.

Joy
                              @dekreel

@aviantrail  Ohh… So Doctor Who has been going on for 50+ years, with a break in between. There is the “classic era” (1963-1989) and the “revived era” (2005-present).

I would highly recommend the classic era because it’s generally easier to follow and understand than the revived era. I think in terms of actors who have played the Doctor more than seasons. So if you watch the classics, I would start with Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker (seasons 7-18; 1970-1981). they are both excellent. For what it’s worth, my favorite Doctor is Peter Davison (1982-1984; seasons 19-21), but, being the 80s, the graphic are TERRIBLE. I love the classic era in general, and would highly recommend it. Just beware the cheesy music, the rubber costumes, and the unimaginative sound effects  0_o

Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to find the classics nowadays, and watch it legally. So, if you can’t find it, go ahead and start season 1 of the revived era (starting with Chris Eccleston), and work your way up. I wouldn’t recommend starting in the middle, because that confuses and deters new Whovians, who have NO idea what’s going on or what they’re talking about. Take this advice from me, a Whovian who hasn’t watched the revived series very much, and has definitely gotten clueless when trying to watch them.

Personally, I think the classic era is better, but you’ll find a lot more Whovians who have seen the revived era. Still, if you watch the classics, you’ll have something interesting to tell your Whovian friends X)

I hope that makes sense 🙂

Joy
                                @dekreel

@aviantrail  Oh, and here you can find a chart of the Doctor Who seasons overall. It’s under “Series overview”

And here is a list of the names of all the Doctors since the chart only gives you their ordinal number:

• First Doctor — William Hartnell
                                  • Second Doctor — Patrick Troughton
                                  • Third Doctor — Jon Pertwee   (recommended for classics)
                                  • Fourth Doctor — Tom Baker   (recommended for classics)
                                  • Fifth Doctor — Peter Davison   (my favorite)
                                  • Sixth Doctor — Colin Baker
                                  • Seventh Doctor — Sylvester McCoy
                                  • Eighth Doctor — Paul McGann
                                  • Ninth Doctor — Christopher Ecclestson   (recommended for revival)
                                  • Tenth Doctor — David Tennant   (most popular)
                                  • Eleventh Doctor — Matt Smith   (most popular)
                                  • Twelfth Doctor — Peter Capaldi
                                  • Thirteenth Doctor — Jodie Whittaker
                                  • This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Joy.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >