How Would One Write a Screenplay, Exactly?

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film How Would One Write a Screenplay, Exactly?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

I’m calling anyone who’s tried or has written scripts before. I’d like to try to write one, but I have no foundation. Would someone please give me any advice, tips and maybe an example of a script to get me going?
      Thanks!
      -Dragon Snapper-

@kate-flournoy
      @daeus @rolena-hatfield @Julia-r @corissa-maiden-of-praise @anne-of-lothlorien @bluejay @winter-rose @Christi-eaton

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Corissa Maiden of Praise
      @corissa-maiden-of-praise
        • Total Posts: 256

@dragon-snapper Writing a script is one of the funnest things ever. One piece of advice: remember that you have to take everything into account, but DO NOT make it too complicated.

Okay. So, basically, part of it depends on who and what you have to work with. Are the actors seasoned? Are they going to understand what you want from them? How much do you want to convey in the script alone? These are all questions you have to take into consideration before beginning.

For instance, a few things you should specify in the script is when characters enter and exit, which side of the stage they enter and exit from, and specific actions you want to see, such as sitting down, approaching another character, or growing animated as they speak.

But some things will depend on how specific you want to be. Do you want to practically draw a diagram with words showing where everyone’s going to be standing when? Or do you want to let the actors have some leeway with figuring the little details out?

Explaining everything with dialogue is a challenge, so it helps to figure out the history and decide what will need worked in before you begin, so you can be looking for a natural place to work it in. Otherwise, chances are it will end up sounding unnatural and forced.

So there’s a few tips to help you get started. Let me know if you have any specific questions! 😀 (I love writing scripts!!! 😀 😀 😀 )

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Mark Kamibaya
        @mark-kamibaya
          • Total Posts: 318

@dragon-snapper (this is a quickie cuz I’m running short on time. I’ll be back . . . 🙂 )

I’ve written a few scripts (for the stage) and reading movie scripts is a favorite hobby of mine. That’s about all the qualifications I have. So here goes . . .

First, learn the format. Scripts have a specific format (stage and movie have different formats). Someone who has acted before might get confused if you write a script without knowing the format. A simple google search will solve this problem (but as always get the information from multiple sources).

Two, read scripts. Can’t make art if you don’t know art. So read scripts.

Three, outline the general story just like you would a book. (Basically know the story you want to tell)

Four, write.

Okay, so that’s the basic approach that I took when I wrote scripts. It’s not very pretty, but it gets the work done. Basically, you have to start trying to write them as soon as possible. The more you write the more you can learn from your mistakes. Read. Write. Learn. Repeat.

I personally don’t agree with all the things that Corissa said (even though I learned quite a bit from what she said). Such as being detailed about things. A director will NOT like it if your script tells them everything to do. Same thing with actors. They should want to act. Not be puppets. So give them a little bit of space. They want to have creative control too.

Remember that your baby (the script) will eventually have to be given to a director that will mercilessly disfigure it until it looks like their own child. Some are more lenient but either way the end product will not be what you had in mind while writing the script. It happens in both stage and film by the way.

Also, writing a novel and writing a script is not all that different. You just have to keep in mind the medium (stage or film) and the fact that you can’t enter the characters’ heads as often and as easily as you can in a novel.

And DON’T try to explain everything with dialogue. Actors act for a reason.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Corissa Maiden of Praise
          @corissa-maiden-of-praise
            • Total Posts: 256

@mark-kamibaya Well, I’m used to being the director for the plays I write, so that explains some of my comments. 😛

And I wasn’t talking about explaining EVERYTHING with dialogue; basically, I meant that a lot of times background information that may not be said in real-life since the people already know what’s going on will oftentimes somehow need be worked into a conversation during a play because we can’t tell the whole life story of someone. 😛

Thanks for pointing those things out! I guess I didn’t explain everything very well. 😛 🙂

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Julia R.
            @julia-r
              • Total Posts: 81

@dragon-snapper: Read scripts! You can probably find some online. Like @mark-kamibaya said, learn the format, and create an outline. I know most movie scripts are center-justified, instead of left-justified, like a play script or novel. I would recommend starting by writing a short film, to familiarize yourself with the format and process of editing, instead of wrestling a gargantuan feature-length film. Hope this helps!

Mark Kamibaya
              @mark-kamibaya

@dragon-snapper Here’s a sample movie script.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Chronicles_of_Narnia.pdf

Mark Kamibaya
                @mark-kamibaya

@dragon-snapper Another sample movie script. You’ll like this one 🙂

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49bAscvFVQ6WlktYy1GWmt5N0E/view

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper
                    • Total Posts: 3515

@mark-kamibaya
                    @Julia-r @corissa-maiden-of-praise Thanks guys! That was very helpful! 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Julia R.
                    @julia-r
                      • Total Posts: 81

@dragon-snapper, let us know how it turns out! Have fun!!!

Mark Kamibaya
                      @mark-kamibaya

@dragon-snapper You’re welcome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >